Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2017 11:23:44 AM EDT
I don't have a good enough internet connection to go through 77 pages of the CWAR rifle thread.

Here's what I'm getting at so far:
Geissele super gas block: $59
Geissele SSA-E Trigger: $240
Geissele Lower Parts Kit: $55
Geissele Mk4 rail: (I was thinking of the 15" rail for $300, but is CWAR specific 13"?)
Trijicon ACOG TA33: $1200
B5 Sopmod Stock: $58 (give or take)
16" Midlength Gas Block Lightweight Barrel Upper: (Don't know who/where to get this from yet)
Lower receiver: (Don't know who/where to get this from yet)

So, any ideas on where to get the upper and lower?
What about the rail? Stick with the 15" or do the 13"?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Personal fan of ballistic Advantage barrels. Unless your going with a billet set (would recommend 2A Balios lite/BAD LW) a slick side aero upper on any flavor lower works.

Stick with 13" Geissele for optimal halal CWAR
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No preference on lowers? Any good to go?

As far as the uppers go, is it easier/cheaper to buy something from Palmetto State Armory and then just throw on a different rail, or would it be cheaper to buy a stripped upper, get the tube, barrel, all that jazz and do it myself? I've never built a stripped upper before and I've never done anything with gas tubes or barrel assembly. I don't have any clamps or anything at the moment.

Cheaper/easier to get a barreled upper assembly then just replace rail, yes?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Not enough G parts.

They make charging handles too, you know.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you been to any of the Cola Wars yet?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You've got the basics.  The 5 pillars of CWAR are the TA33, Sopmod stock, Geissele SSA-E, Geissele MK 4 rail, and 16" accurate barrel with a midlength gas system.

For barrels, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, or other good manufacturer.

For the handguard, its shooter's choice as long as it covers the gas block.  13" or 15" is fine, though most people go with 13" for lightness.

The upper should preferably be a slick side, for lightness.  Forward assists are stupid anyway.  The lower can be anything, but Cola Warrior sponsors are preferred.  Or go with a Balios lightweight receiver set, for lightness.

Build the upper yourself.  You won't likely save any money by buying an assembled upper, and you'll need to take it completely apart anyway.  Geissele uses a proprietary barrel nut.  Its a really easy system to assemble so don't worry about that at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I seent him.
Drank with him too.
CW4. I think. May have been 5.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I seent him.
Drank with him too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seent him.
Drank with him too.
Then he should message RenegadeBurrito about a CWAR lower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the EE on the G gas blocks. They show up brand new all the time in the $35-$40 range. I could've sworn the one I had came with one of my MK8 rails but I can't remember for sure.

ETA I would also check the EE for the SSA-E trigger. You could probably snag one with just a couple hundred rounds on it in the $175 range.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI Aimsurplus has a good deal on BA barrels right now, with a low profile gasblock already installed.  I think they're ballistic advantage barrels, anyways.

I'm toying with getting the 18" for a ground-up CWAR.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for that build sheet.. I was trying to figure a few things out too.

Big fan of Ballistic Advantage for price/quality.  Also Green Mountain Barrels seem to be in that area as well.

Id go Aero for the upper and lower... solid, good quality, easy to find, reasonably priced.  If you can score a ghost one, that would be sick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]
That's it, I have to build a CWAR.

Will probably do 16 with mid-length and 15" handguard
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FYI Aimsurplus has a good deal on BA barrels right now, with a low profile gasblock already installed.  I think they're ballistic advantage barrels, anyways.

I'm toying with getting the 18" for a ground-up CWAR.
View Quote
I have one of the BA Hansen 18" Wylde 1:8 barrels.  I have not shot it yet but hear great things about them(why I got it)

It is my SPR"ish" Not totally complete yet, this is sort of mocked up.. the buffer tube and stock situation is all i really have left.  It has an old school Bushmaster 2 stage DCM trigger in it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a LaRue lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buy a LaRue lol
View Quote
lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol.
View Quote
They make great hats.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have one of the BA Hansen 18" Wylde 1:8 barrels.  I have not shot it yet but hear great things about them(why I got it)

It is my SPR"ish" Not totally complete yet, this is sort of mocked up.. the buffer tube and stock situation is all i really have left.  It has an old school Bushmaster 2 stage DCM trigger in it.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7368/27656584192_ec7beaf798_h.jpg
View Quote
What length rail is that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What length rail is that?
View Quote
12"(androcorp ACI12) with a mid gas system barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check the EE on the G gas blocks. They show up brand new all the time in the $35-$40 range. I could've sworn the one I had came with one of my MK8 rails but I can't remember for sure.
View Quote
Don't buy a Geissele gas block on its own.  Their rails should ship with a gas block included.

If you buy a BA barrel it comes with a gas block as well, with the hole drilled to pin it.  Side note: the BA gas block pin is smaller than the Geissele pin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Common guys, I have a TA33 and an LWRC stock.  2 out of 5 ain't bad, solid 20th percentile.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I seent him.
Drank with him too.
View Quote
it was CW4, I also seent it
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 for BA barrel

and I vote 13" rail, esp with the MK4 - any longer it will be noisome to reach your laser controls unless you are dhalsim
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I only have 2 of the 5 pillars (trigger and barrel).
Basically, I don't have a CWAR, but I have an AR that I use at CW.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

it was CW4, I also seent it
View Quote
wasn't he the one snoring really loudly in the tent with trojanman?  or something?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
+1 for BA barrel

and I vote 13" rail, esp with the MK4 - any longer it will be noisome to reach your laser controls unless you are dhalsim
View Quote
YOGA LASER!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

wasn't he the one snoring really loudly in the tent with trojanman?  or something?
View Quote
I tented with 101Proof and his delicious Hibiki.

I think.

The Hibiki makes it fuzzy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I just remember Covert snoring loud as fuck
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#29]
13" rail with 16" barrel makes more sense.
I have a BA Hanson and it's alright.  Good for the price, no complaints.  Second what everyone has said - they come from AIM with a pinned gas block.

Receivers, you want to go one of two ways.  
Either go lightweight (And your choices here are the 2A Balios or the BAD 556LW - DSG Arms has both in stock right now at ~$500), or just go regular and get Aero is similar.  Aero makes a FA-less upper for ~$90, and you can get their lowers for $60 or so.  Both are in stock at Brownells right now.

Or if you go CW lower, then just get the Aero slick upper and be done with it.

I'm not a huge fan of the B5 stocks, they're really big.  I love the LWRC compact and Ultra Compact, and those fit better with body armor (if you care about that).

But otherwise you're on the right track.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
13" rail with 16" barrel makes more sense.
I have a BA Hanson and it's alright.  Good for the price, no complaints.  Second what everyone has said - they come from AIM with a pinned gas block.

Receivers, you want to go one of two ways.  
Either go lightweight (And your choices here are the 2A Balios or the BAD 556LW - DSG Arms has both in stock right now at ~$500), or just go regular and get Aero is similar.  Aero makes a FA-less upper for ~$90, and you can get their lowers for $60 or so.  Both are in stock at Brownells right now.

Or if you go CW lower, then just get the Aero slick upper and be done with it.

I'm not a huge fan of the B5 stocks, they're really big.  I love the LWRC compact and Ultra Compact, and those fit better with body armor midget arms (if you care about that).

But otherwise you're on the right track.
View Quote
FIFMM
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Common guys, I have a TA33 and an LWRC stock.  2 out of 5 ain't bad, solid 20th percentile.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/IMG_20170421_122131_zpsgcnwesqs.jpg
View Quote
The rear portion of your gun looks like Deadpool's hand when it got chopped/blown off (can't remember) and was slowly growing back so it was smaller than average for a bit.

I like it though, the rear just looks smaller comparatively.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Cola Warrior is about being physically fit.

The rifle you shoot isn't where you need to get bogged down.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
   I've seen guys nail the obstacles, peep, ak, and run.   then completely blow it on the shooting.  you can't miss fast enough
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've seen guys nail the obstacles, peep, ak, and run.   then completely blow it on the shooting.  you can't miss fast enough
View Quote
No joke.  

Practice shooting.

Being in shape is great and all, but if you can jog a half mile and then smoke the targets and chug, you're going to do ok.

I cleared the obstacles at CWW3, and my time up to the shooting portion was about 12 minutes.   I then proceeded to to take ALL 10 minutes to complete the shooting and took 20 minutes (2 pistol, 2 rifle) in shooting penalties.   That's 30 minutes in shooting time w/ penalties.   Then I took another 10 minutes in chug penalties and took 8 minutes to do THAT.

Even taking the max time to do both of those exercises, no penalties would have knocked a full 30 minutes off my time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They make great hats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
They make great hats.
They burn great!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not enough G parts.

They make charging handles, buffers/springs, and bolt catches too, you know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No joke.  

Practice shooting.

Being in shape is great and all, but if you can jog a half mile and then smoke the targets and chug, you're going to do ok.

I cleared the obstacles at CWW3, and my time up to the shooting portion was about 12 minutes.   I then proceeded to to take ALL 10 minutes to complete the shooting and took 20 minutes (2 pistol, 2 rifle) in shooting penalties.   That's 30 minutes in shooting time w/ penalties.   Then I took another 10 minutes in chug penalties and took 8 minutes to do THAT.

Even taking the max time to do both of those exercises, no penalties would have knocked a full 30 minutes off my time.
View Quote
Uphill at elevation makes that really difficult.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Uphill at elevation makes that really difficult.
View Quote

Theme from CWW2
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/IMG_20170421_122131_zpsgcnwesqs.jpg
View Quote
DEVIANT! DISSENTER!  SHUN THE UN-BELIEVER!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They burn great!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They burn great!
After seeing what happened to vacaduck's beanie, I left mine in the truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

After seeing what happened to vacaduck's beanie, I left mine in the truck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#43]
You can get a new super gas block for cheaper on the EE........
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You can get a new super gas block for cheaper on the EE........
View Quote
Or free with the purchase of a Geissele rail.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So have I but the reason they are missing usually has nothing to do with the rifle or pistol they are using, but rather it is because they are out of shape.

That is why the obstacles are at the very beginning, to heighten the stress on one's body and mind which places a shit ton of stress on one's ability to shoot well.

Again, the rifle or handgun chosen is not as important as one's physical condition.

Pretty much any AR with a red dot is enough for the long gun stage and something like a Glock 17 is all the pistol you need for the hand gun stage.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So have I but the reason they are missing usually has nothing to do with the rifle or pistol they are using, but rather it is because they are out of shape.

That is why the obstacles are at the very beginning, to heighten the stress on one's body and mind which places a shit ton of stress on one's ability to shoot well.

Again, the rifle or handgun chosen is not as important as one's physical condition.

Pretty much any AR with a red dot is enough for the long gun stage and something like a Glock 17 is all the pistol you need for the hand gun stage.
View Quote
lol   ok.  hell, furthest target at SE was <250yards, but you definitely needed magnification
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Leatherwood CMR 1-4.    On 4x, it worked just fine on the 505 yd ipsc steel.

eta:  And yeah yeah yeah... "Go be poor somewhere else"  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
lol   ok.  hell, furthest target at SE was <250yards, but you definitely needed magnification
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a 3x, 4x, 3-9x, an a 4-24x. Moar is betterer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I used 18x max at SE with a bolt gun, cleared rifle targets fastest out of all runs with fewest shots...  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top