Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 6:10:32 AM EDT
I'm fairly new to the whole coin collecting thing and seeking some advice from the veteran coin collectors on the site.  Is it better to go with slabbed/certified coins (from the more reputable companies of course) [these would include pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, dollars, commemoratives] or to buy as much pre-1964 silver coins (regardless of condition) as possible?  Or just stick with uncirculated/uncertified American Silver Eagles?  Thanks in advance.

ETA:  Just ordered a 1921 Morgan Dollar for $4.95 shipped.  Had to endure the customer service rep
          trying to enroll me into like 8 different programs (1/2 of them were coin related) though.  It was
          worth saying "no" and "not interested" for like 10 mins I think.  Came across this number on
          another thread on the site.  The number is 1-800-500-8168.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Coin collecting is a nice hobby, but I would stick to the 1964 and older 90% silver if you want it for an investment. But thats just me and I have ben wrong before.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Coin collecting is a nice hobby, but I would stick to the 1964 and older 90% silver if you want it for an investment. But thats just me and I have ben wrong before.

Yes, it is a nice hobby.  I have a few Peace & Morgan dollars, along with some mint Mercury dimes, I picked up that are in excellent condition.  Thinking about sending them off to get certified since they are in that good of a shape.  Buddy of mine at work has been collecting for years.  He's got a ton of Morgans and Peace dollars.  Not in the best of shape, but he has a buttload of them.  Even has some Carson City Morgans.

I guess my main problem is quantity vs quality.  Do I want a horde of 90% silver coins in so-so shape or a few minty "gems" in awesome shape.  I'm just looking for the most bang for the buck.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
coin prices are higher now especially with silver and gold high. If you want to invest, try buying everything the US mint issues each year.

I've been buying the silver and  non silver proof and mint sets of all the state quarters.

Check out the issue price and current price starting from the bottom and working your way up at www.bestcoin.com/us-proof-sets.htm

A $32 silver proof set from 1999 is now worth $425
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top