Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 10/9/2005 1:36:39 PM EDT
After hearing some "experts" on a show on the History Chanel talk about the history of, and brewing the best cup of coffee, I bought a french press.  The "experts" said it was the best way to brew a cup of coffee.  It has no bitterness this way and leaves in all of the oils that regular brewing methods do not.  I grind all of my coffe here anyway and using this thing just makes it that much better!

Check the link below for some info on french presses.

www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/

Does anyone else use one?  I love mine.

Balming
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:25:03 PM EDT
I have been using one for the last 2 weeks. Still trying to get the water/coffee mix right. I first went with the 2T per 6oz of water and found it to be way too strong so I tapered back from there and now brewing 5-6T per 24oz of water. I really like the flavor. The only drawbacks are brewing 24 oz at a time and the coffee cools very fast in the press.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:27:43 PM EDT
I only fill my press about 1/2 full.  I drink 2 cups at a sitting and I prefer it strong.

It makes some good coffee!

bALMING
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:28:04 PM EDT
We have one but we don't use it anymore.  Community Red Bag Dark Roast in a drip pot is what we like.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:29:53 PM EDT
I read that the Folgers plant is in New Orleans, and you might not be able to get Folgers for a while.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:31:08 PM EDT
Folgers
1 part coffee
4 parts water
and nuke it.
Ahhhh, now that's fresh.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:38:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
I read that the Folgers plant is in New Orleans, and you might not be able to get Folgers for a while.

The Folgers plant on Old Gentilly had some damage as I recall. They are producing but I don't know if it's at 100%. Driving past that place every day made me Jones for a cup of coffee, just not Folgers brand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:43:44 PM EDT
Say it isn't S
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
I need to get me on of them mug/press things.  Hey! It would be so funny to get one that looks like a bong.  Not that I like tokers, but some of my professors are wound wayyy too tight
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:45:59 PM EDT
Yup, been using it for a while now.  For a more consistent grind make sure that you use a quality burr grinder.  By using an inferior grinder you'll have more problems with "mud" at the bottom of your cup due to the inconsistency of the grind.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:47:28 PM EDT
Community Coffee w/chicory   Yummy
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:55:29 PM EDT
I guess that's OK if you can't handle espresso.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alaman:
Community Cafe du Monde Coffee w/chicory   Yummy

Fixed it for you!

Don;t forget the beignets!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:11:32 PM EDT
When my brother-in-law sold his share of a pharmaceutical company he started, and cashed a single check for $10 million, this is the first thing he bought:
Capresso

Now, when I visit my family back in Michigan, I have to wait until noon or so until I get to his house to get a decent cup of coffee.

Is $1999 a lot of money for a coffee/espresso maker?
Sure.  But that's one hell of a cup of joe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:15:31 PM EDT
I use the "toddy coffee" cold brew method.  

www.toddycoffee.com/

It makes a very concentrated brew which is kept in the refrigerator.  When you want a cuppa joe, pour about 1" of the resulting concentrate in your mug, fill will water, and nuke it for about 2 minutes.

This is the smoothest coffee you'll ever drink.
Top Top