Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2004 4:12:51 PM EDT
For the last 5-6 years, I've been a regular ~1 cup/day coffee drinker.  I started with 7/11 coffee, then realized what kind of shit they were serving.  Dunkin Donuts is pretty good, but the person behind th counter usually screws up the sugar/milk.  Lately I've been drinking Starbucks.  I dont particularly like thier coffee, but more-so the hot chicks/ambiance.  What do you guys drink, and how much of it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Drive west untill you can buy Community Dark Roast. You ought to find it just before the Louisiana stateline.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Coffee sucks.

Water is your friend in the morning.

Please elaborate....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I never drink the cheap coffee at fast food restaurants, I use to stop at McDonalds' on long road trips to take a break and get some coffee, but noticed their coffee is very weak, I like a fresh ground rich coffee flavor with good aroma, so I usually stop at Starbuck's, they have a decent cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
None of that crap is coffee.

None of it.  Not even Staryucks.

Find a place that has Jamacian Blue.  That's f'n coffee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Cafe Roma

I've mail/web ordered from them for about 5 years.  Best I've tried, and I've tried a LOT.

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Connoisseur not. But I grind mine from beans lately and I notice a difference. Latest brand is the 8 o'clock columbian.

Me love my morning coffee.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
None of that crap is coffee.

None of it.  Not even Staryucks.

Find a place that has Jamacian Blue.  That's f'n coffee.

That is the drink of James Bond 007, at $50/lb is pretty expensive stuff when you can find it. Trader Joes used to sell a cousin to the Blue Mountain coffee and it was like $15 back 10 years ago, others including the Hawaii Kona coffee was selling for somehting like $8/lb.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Coffee sucks.

Water is your friend in the morning.

Please elaborate....

when you wake up you have been 8 hours (hopefully) without the intake of any fluids

rehydrate with a big glass of water
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Gevalia mail order is freakin good.  For cheap shit, I like Community Dark Roast.  And Duhh, get beans and grind them fresh.  Pre ground coffee sucks thy anus.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
For a treat , this stuff kicks ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!
killer beans
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Drive west untill you can buy Community Dark Roast. You ought to find it just before the Louisiana stateline.

Big +1. There may be more "artsy fartsy" coffees out there. But for an everyday coffee, nothing beats Community Coffee Dark Roast. I get 1lb of it at my local Wally World for about $3.50.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
when you wake up you have been 8 hours (hopefully) without the intake of any fluids

rehydrate with a big glass of water

Well, from what I've read, they say since coffee is water based, that your body does indeed absorb the water that is contained within it.  Also, they really have not proven that coffee dehydrates you.  They do claim that it is a diuretic, but then again so is water...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a common sewer of fine coffees. Presently my favorite is a fine fresh brewed large cup from the BP station. Actually it's quite good, Community Medium Roast. Although I'm from Louisiana, I cannot stand coffee and chicory. The only reason chicory was added was due o coffee shortages during the War of 1812 and Civil war.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't hate me . . . I enjoy French Roast.

I don't usually get ready-made coffee because it's too expensive.  Starbucks has good coffee, but I spend about five times as much as if I made it at home.

I usually get Millstone.  Good quality and price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Make it at home! It's like 1/10th the price, and you can do your own sugar/cream ratio. I bought a really high quality insulated steel travel mug from starbucks and I tote my own "home brew" around with me on weekends... I make it in my own pot on my desk in the office. If you make it fresh, anything fresh ground [NOT from a can] will tast really good.

Oh - I drink at least a pot of half regular/half decaf a day.... and yes, I sleep GREAT at night. (Just don't ask how much alcohol I put down to get to sleep...)

ummm.... just kidding about the alcohol thing...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I find that I love good coffee. I get mine from here:

www.mayorgaimports.com/content/coffees.htm

It's a business in Rockville MD, but they're getting pretty popular. I make a road trip every few months just to stock up...their prices are alot cheaper in the shop than via mailorder.

I really like the Jamaica Blue Mountain/Kenya AA blend, and the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, but some of the others are pretty good too.

After drinking these varities, it makes me realize what swill most restaurants serve.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Ahhhh, the power of suggestion. I read this post and HAD to make a pot of coffee....

Happened the other day too. Saw the Arby's commercial for 2 roast beef + chedder cheese + bacon for $3. Just HAD to go get a couple. Didn't taste anywhere near as good as it sounded though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
But I grind mine from beans lately and I notice a difference. Latest brand is the 8 o'clock columbian.

+1

I've been grinding my own for the last two months.  The Eight-O-Clock Colombian is my recent favorite.  Great in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Amatuers.....

Arbuckle's Coffee is the HEAT!

Been around for about 150 years.  They were making good coffee before the others were even born.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Getcha a bag of Starbucks Breakfast Blend!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Check the Blue Mountain Coffee website. They've got the good stuff for $28/lb+shipping.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I drank Black Tea(Earl Grey,Darjiling, ect.) for the last 3 or 4 years then for some reason about 3 months ago I went back to coffee. I like flavored coffee and drink 2, 24oz cups every morning. Of course about 2oz of that is milk so it's just 22oz of coffee with 2oz of milk to cool it down.  I also use brown sugar in my coffee. I don't think that refined suger is all that healthy for you, brown sugar is less refined and better for you. JMHO
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#27]

My coworker Mike has brought the same brew in a miner's thermos for us two to drink during the day for the past two years since I've worked there:  store-bought instant coffee with powdered creamer.  It's not the brand of coffee, anon, but the fellowship derived from the drinking of the coffee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT drink that wimpy coffee. Expresso is the way to go......Ask for 6 shots of expresso and 3 pumps of the White Mocha at Starbucks.......fantastic stuff.  A few sips of THAT mixture and you feel like you're immortal......  Don't try it until you're a seasoned coffee drinker....caused a female friend of mine some problems.....had to visit the restroom for a while.....  plus, if you have heart problems, it might not be a good idea..... after a while it causes my heart to go into arrhythmia...but man, is it worth it!

Another coffee drink to try is one called the "Jumpstart". Made in a little coffee shop in Frederick, MD it consists of 2 shots of expresso, and 2 pumps of Godiva choclate syrup, blended with ICE, and a mountain of whiped cream on the top.... You either love it our you hate it........

AoD
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
It's probably been a year since we've had a coffee thread -

I've cut back to about 2/3 of a pot per day; just plain ol' Folgers 100% Columbian, brewed dark, dark as Diane Feinstein's soul.

I can't stand the harsh, thin coffees grown at low altitude, make mine Columbian every time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Best damn ice coffee is Morinaga, but you won't find that here in the states. Use to drink it in Okinawa, Japan.

I have never been able to brew my own ice coffee. Something about it just doesn't taste right when I make it.

Maybe that's why I make it by the pot...? Use a full carafe of water (the usual coffee maker is 12 cups?) and 3 of those "coffee scoops". If I don't have one of those, I'm screwed and it's no good!

Edited: I just noticed that you said "ice coffee"! umm... nevermind!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]
While Stateside I have a dam 5 latte a day habit.  Downrange I prefer Sello Rojo, but end up drinking instant most of the time.  Imagine that, drinking instant in Colombia, but its the truth.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Folger's Columbian for everyday inexpensive. Kona when I want something really good. Try a Kona "blend" it's cheaper and usually pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#34]
You can get better coffee and save money by bying your beans whole, grinding them, and brewing your own.  I grind my own and use a coffe press

you can try all kinds of regional coffees and find which ones you like.  I like Central/South American coffees (Honduras is my favorite).  The coffee press lets you have all those good natural oils and stuff that a paper filter blocks, plus it's easy to brew just the amount you want.  I don't like "flavored" beans that have flavorings added to them, the flavor of the coffee should come from the bean (type and region) and it's roasting, not adjuncts.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I never got into the coffee thing,  I normally just drink a soda or something.  I saw someone snort Folgers instant once.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While Stateside I have a dam 5 latte a day habit.  Downrange I prefer Sello Rojo, but end up drinking instant most of the time.  Imagine that, drinking instant in Colombia, but its the truth.  

Ugh, that's a crime!  Juan Valdez and his donkey will be so sad.

They export all the good stuff, ive re-imported Colombian coffee at times.  Its the good time of year and Starbucks has Panamanian coffee.  I drink alot of it and wonder if any of it is from the plants on the finca I once owned.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I purchase green beans and roast them myself to desired darkness.  Then I grind them immediately before brewing in a press pot. hr

Try letting the roasted beans sit four an hour or two before you grind them... they outgas some of the oil and it makes the coffee a little smoother.  I like to make 'blends' with the same type of bean roasted to different stages, part a light roast and part well past the second crack, it results in a very full coffee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Actually I let them go at least 24 hours before brewing, sometimes more.  As long as you use them within a week or so, they're fine.  I do the same thing with roasting times though, blending different roasts of the same bean.  Plus usually I grind 2 or 3 different bean types together per batch.

Gloftoe does not understand my coffee fixation.

I'm sorry for both you and he!  Did you roast your first batch in the oven???  I did and had to leave all the windows open for a week, about when my wife let me back inside... I've since bought a small roaster and wait for good weather when the garage door can be open.  Who would have thought coffee could smell so bad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#42]
You put white eech in your expresso and then sip it?
What, are you ?

You drink expresso with nothing else in it, and you drink it like a shot of tequilla.

Quoted:
Expresso is the way to go......Ask for 6 shots of expresso and 3 pumps of the White Mocha at Starbucks.......fantastic stuff.  A few sips of THAT

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Actually, the funny thing is that I started out roasting on the porch, and the smell would seep into the house.  I started roasting under our big range hood with the exhaust fan, and there's barely any smell in the house when I do.  

But woe is me, my Freshroast broke on Sunday night as I was about to go on a spree roasting a bunch of beans for some concentrate so's I can make iced coffee.  hem

Yeah, don't try it... and don't try the hot air popcorn maker either.  Gloftoe will be chasing chaff for weeks and you will be done roasting.  It may be that the death of your freshroast is a sign that he needs to buy you a small roaster drum.  If so, tell me how much you like it, so I can start whining, er, asking for one myself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#45]
personal favorite:  Jacobs.  I haven't been able to find it here in the US, but while stationed in Germany, I went through a lot....great mixer with rum, great wake up juice.  Very rich and no bitterness.  Mmmmmmm.....Jacobs......
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#46]
The actual Luzianne website appears to be down, but this is what we drink at home(w/chicory)... but I really prefer a nice espresso from my machine..... usually just 1 a day. Got hooked courtesy of Uncle Sam who thoughtfully stationed me in Italy for 2.5 years

Luzianne
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#48]

JULES:  Goddamn Jimmie, this is some serious gourmet shit.  Me an' Vincent woulda been satisfied with freeze-dried Tasters Choice.  You spring this gourmet fuckin' shit on us.  What flavor is this?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#49]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Try Cafe Britte, it is a very good coffe from Costa Rica, they have very good coffee down there. They have a web-site, cost about the same as Starbucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top