Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 12:53:37 PM EDT
Has anyone put this old wives' tale to the test?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No but I kept one alive in a mason jar once.
I gave it a month supply of poptart and some orange soda every once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Michael Moore has been doing well, without apparent use of his head, for quite some time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Been having a nasty roach problem lately, but I found that Autozone is selling Carb Cleaner for a buck a can right now.

Carb Cleaner + Cigarette Lighter = Roach Flamethrower.

It werks gud ja.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Ticks will live for quite some time impaled on a safety pin.  I had one stuck to the wall of my garage for a couple of weeks.  Everytime I poked it, it tried to crawl.  I think it was 13 days before it dehydrated and died.

I cut up his body and sent it to the four corners of the tick kingdom as a warning...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
When I opened this thread I expected it was about a guy named "Cockroach" who's ol lady was pissed....
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Michael Moore has been doing well, without apparent use of his head, for quite some time.
View Quote

Oh, his head is still there. It's just been hidden up-his-ass for several years now and it APPEARS to be missing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]
That's nothing...My wife..ahem..well...I seem to be in the wrong thread..
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't been given head in months and I'm still up and about.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I haven't been given head in months and I'm still up and about.
View Quote

[LOL]

Good one!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup yup it's the truth, I swear. Saw it on the TV in a commerical and you know that they don't lie.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, I once live in a roach-infested apartment.  I made it my primary GOAL to eliminate as many cockroaches in the most inhumane way possible.  I hate those fuckers!  I didn't mind them so much, but when I would bring a girl over, I had to make sure she never had the chance to turn on a light for herself, I would always have to go into the room in front of her, turn on the light and stall her for a couple seconds while the roaches all hid away.  That way, the girls wouldn't know I had roaches everywhere and I could still get some action.

Anyways, I really wanted them to die.  So I started doing research on them and looking them up on entomology sites and shit.  Well, if you kill a female cockroach, she can still have baby roaches even if she is dead.  The baby roaches will still gestate, or whatever in her body even once she is dead.  THat' sprobably where the wives tale comes from.

One time I made a home made roach trap, which consisted of a long piece of duct tape layed sticky side up where the roaches liked to frolick.  The roaches would walk on to the duct tape and get stuck there.  One time a pregnant roach got stuck on the duct tape and gave birth to a few baby roaches.  They were small and I couldn't tell what the fuck that shit was on the tape, so I poked the mamma roach with a pencil and the little fuckin bitch squirted out another half-dozen roaches!!!  They all died painful deaths.

By the way, if any of you have roach infestations, shoot me an IM.  If there's enough interest, I will start a thread with roach killing tips.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
To my knowledge, a roach wouldn't live that long if decapitated.  Once their exoskeleton is piereced, punctured, or in general, compromised, they will dry out or dehidrated rapidly.  I took some entomology classes in college where we talked about experiments done w/ roaches walking across sandpaper, and how even that can kill them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually, I once live in a roach-infested apartment.  I made it my primary GOAL to eliminate as many cockroaches in the most inhumane way possible.  I hate those fuckers!  I didn't mind them so much, but when I would bring a girl over, I had to make sure she never had the chance to turn on a light for herself, I would always have to go into the room in front of her, turn on the light and stall her for a couple seconds while the roaches all hid away.  That way, the girls wouldn't know I had roaches everywhere and I could still get some action.

Anyways, I really wanted them to die.  So I started doing research on them and looking them up on entomology sites and shit.  Well, if you kill a female cockroach, she can still have baby roaches even if she is dead.  The baby roaches will still gestate, or whatever in her body even once she is dead.  THat' sprobably where the wives tale comes from.

One time I made a home made roach trap, which consisted of a long piece of duct tape layed sticky side up where the roaches liked to frolick.  The roaches would walk on to the duct tape and get stuck there.  One time a pregnant roach got stuck on the duct tape and gave birth to a few baby roaches.  They were small and I couldn't tell what the fuck that shit was on the tape, so I poked the mamma roach with a pencil and the little fuckin bitch squirted out another half-dozen roaches!!!  They all died painful deaths.

By the way, if any of you have roach infestations, shoot me an IM.  If there's enough interest, I will start a thread with roach killing tips.

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote
I thought roaches were egg layers?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]
this thread has me kinda creeped out, I keep looking down by my feet to make sure nothing is crawling around down there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Roaches. You had to bring up those fucking roaches.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I rented a place once that had em. When I first saw it a couple of times, the guy renting it was always there before me. When I was moving in I started to see them.

My buddy worked at a garden stand and they had these big bug bombs that would clear a warehouse the the EPA told them they couldn't use anymore.

He came to my apartment and we lit that fucker off! (It looked exactly like an outdoor grill propane tank.)

Went out drinking and came back the next day to find the place filled with every dead thing you could name. Never saw an alive cockroach in that apartment for over a year!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Kick ass!!!  Did ya torch the bodies to make sure?!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#19]
roaches and rats will outlive the human race [;)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

N_Viejo, bring it on!  People need a thread about how to kill those fuckers once and for all.  (From a guy who also shared a house with roaches)  So you have one vote.  Any other takers?

And you probably don't want to hear the story of the moonsoon that happened a while back, it will turn your stomach...  [puke]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's hear more roach stories!

It's strange... I am so fearful of roaches it makes me feel like a big ol' sloppy pussy.  But, I still enjoy stories about them!

I think my wife had to kill the last Texas sized cockroach we saw in our house (gladly only like the 3rd one in 2 years).  It was at eye level on a kitchen cabinet and I could not make myself get close enough to exterminate it.  If it's on the floor, I can handle it.  I will let spiders, beetles, whatever crawl on me.... but roaches - different story!

Anyone want to venture a theory on why roaches are so terrifying?  I think it's because they are fast, they can squeeze into really tight spots, they are fast, they can fly, they are fast, they are mostly around filth, and did I mention they are fuckin' fast?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let's hear more roach stories!

It's strange... I am so fearful of roaches it makes me feel like a big ol' sloppy pussy.  But, I still enjoy stories about them!

I think my wife had to kill the last Texas sized cockroach we saw in our house (gladly only like the 3rd one in 2 years).  It was at eye level on a kitchen cabinet and I could not make myself get close enough to exterminate it.  If it's on the floor, I can handle it.  I will let spiders, beetles, whatever crawl on me.... but roaches - different story!

Anyone want to venture a theory on why roaches are so terrifying?  I think it's because they are fast, they can squeeze into really tight spots, they are fast, they can fly, they are fast, they are mostly around filth, and did I mention they are fuckin' fast?
View Quote

I didn't like them because they were in MY apartment and I didn't invite them.  I had so many eventually I got innured to the "disgust" part and I just would smash them with my hand if I saw them.  Usually if I tried to find a newspaper or flyswatter they were gone by the time I got back, so I just smacked them with my hand.  Plus they crawled all over my dishes and stuff.  I will start a roach thread.  Look for it.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes roaches can be cute!

[img]http://movieweb.com/movie/joesapt/co2.jpg[/img]

[url=http://joesapt.warnerbros.com/dld/funkytowel.mov] 6 meg Quicktime Mov... turn your speakers on[/url]

Roach [url=http://yucky.kids.discovery.com/noflash/roaches/pg000095.html] fun [/url] and [url=http://yucky.kids.discovery.com/noflash/roaches/pg000097.html] facts [/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you ever see the movie "Joe's Apartment"???

Maybe you can train your roaches to work with you.  And maybe not...

The most common type of roaches found here in central Florida lays egg cases.

I guess that roaches can live for a while without a head.  After all, they're higher up the evolutionary lader than most Democrats in the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives, and THEY manage to live quite well without benefit of anything resembling a head. (Or a brain, anyway.  Scarecrows!)  And yet, they still manage to get stupid bills introduced which are sometimes so complex as to be unintelligible.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Roaches. You had to bring up those fucking roaches.
View Quote

Amen. I'd prefer the damned snakes...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a real problem with them when the people in the apartment bellow me moved in and carried them in the building.

Best solution I have found is very simple.

Borax. It's just like sprinkling powered soap around. Get it at the Mexican store cheap.

It's not a toxic spray and vacuums up easy. MUCH better that using a nasty can of bug spray that stinks up your house.

Seems borax wears off the protective wax coating on the roach, and causes them to die of natural causes (germs etc)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top