Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 2:15:36 PM EDT

Until last Tuesday , my oldest son was an employee of COKE . He was involved in a minor fender bender in a company vehicle . He was at fault , and was terminated according to company policy .
Pretty shitty policy for a first offense in my opinion . Not sure if this is Corporate policy or just at that particular plant . Either way , he's out of a job . He has a wife and a baby to support .

I can assure you there will be NO Coca-Cola products in our homes . We won't support any company that treats it's employees this way .

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:19:59 PM EDT
Is that a union company ?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:20:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:25:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:
Is that a union company ?

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:27:59 PM EDT
Probably has to do with insurance & liability issues.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:29:52 PM EDT
Read the contracts... don't like the fine print, have them change them (won't happen) or accept the consequences of company policies. This probably protects Coke from huge wreck settlements..it alos makes the drivers more cautious in their driving.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:30:15 PM EDT
Well i'd fire someone who broke my stuff to, after all it was his fault. Don't see the problem
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:30:51 PM EDT

Not every plant is union . That one is non union .
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:33:01 PM EDT
... Don't feel singled out or take it too personal.

... The same exact thing happened to my cousin when he worked for Coca-Cola
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:37:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By staraero:
Well i'd fire someone who broke my stuff to, after all it was his fault. Don't see the problem

I knew this thread wouldn't make one page without someone like you coming along . Sorry if I'm
being too defensive but I think termination is a little severe in this situation . It was a minor fender bender involving a parked vehicle in loading dock area . I suppose you never " broke " anything at work in your entire life . That probably means you haven't done anything either .
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:41:21 PM EDT
Thats bullshit they fired him for that. I work with guys who hit trees,cars, mailboxes. When the
weather is bad they slide off the road, call a wrecker, get the car back on the road and go back to work.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:41:48 PM EDT
My great-uncle drove for Bunny Bread for years. He passed up opprotunities to drive for UPS because of policies like the one you described. Seems like it's fairly standard in the industry.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:44:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:46:00 PM EDT
Hell man you did say it was his fault . No sympathy here . Hell , Barbs' company policy is ANY Accident .
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:47:08 PM EDT
How long was he there?
I can see it if he was still in probation but seems kinda harsh unless he was screwing around and didn't tell you that part.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
How long did he work for them?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:49:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:49:29 PM EDT
One of my high school jobs was driving for an auto parts company.
There were two rules:
Don't get a ticket while driving the company truck.
Don't get into an accident with the company truck.

I got into an accident with the company truck (my fault) and I was fired on the spot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:52:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
One of my high school jobs was driving for an auto parts company.
There were two rules:
Don't get a ticket while driving the company truck.
Don't get into an accident with the company truck.

I got into an accident with the company truck (my fault) and I was fired on the spot.

Can you imagine how much fun a guy could have on the way back to work
after getting a ticket. Bumper cars sounds like the game to play
in a company vehicle if you know you are already fired.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:55:50 PM EDT
Here's why they have the policy and it does make sense from their perspective.

You're an employee and you have one accident and it's minor. It doesn't seem that bad. Then next year you hit a family of surgeons and they all die (i.e. lots of lost income). In proving the liability of Coke, the lawyers for the surgeon's estate will say that this employee had a history of recklessness as shown by the proir accident. Therefore, you can't say that you should be held to a lower standard because this was the first one. You're liable because you knew about this behavior and didn't do anything about it. In a large company with great assets, it's much easier to have a policy that says "accident equals termination" than trying to figure out what's going on.

Now, with that said, I'm sorry your son had the accident and I'm glad no one was injured.

R.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:57:04 PM EDT
I'm a Pepper anyway. But I support Coke, I don't bash big corporations just because they're big. If your son violoated company policy so be it, if not, I'd be pissed off too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:57:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Thats bullshit they fired him for that. I work with guys who hit trees,cars, mailboxes. When the
weather is bad they slide off the road, call a wrecker, get the car back on the road and go back to work.

your a cop?

No he's not. He didn't say anything about shooting a dog.

R.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:01:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djohns6:

I knew this thread wouldn't make one page without someone like you coming along . Sorry if I'm
being too defensive but I think termination is a little severe in this situation . It was a minor fender bender involving a parked vehicle in loading dock area . I suppose you never " broke " anything at work in your entire life . That probably means you haven't done anything either .

So you were there riding with him when it happened, or do you only know what your son told you?
So Company policies should never be enforced? It sounds strict, but rules are rules, and your son agreed to follow those rules.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:01:40 PM EDT
No we spray them with pepper spray and bash them in the head with a handheld computer
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:17:15 PM EDT
I work for Pepsi (inside/production employee) and our plant doesn't even have company vehicles for merchandisers any more. They have to use thier own vehicles.

Unfortunately, if he goes to Pepsi they will probably do a license check and not hire him since he has a chargable accident.

If he's committed to working in the soda business he'd probably do better off applying for an inside job. Manufacturing/warehousing.

Me personally, if I didn't already have 18 years behind me I would never work in this industry.

I wish him luck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:19:13 PM EDT
Personally, its bullshit and for all the "hey its OK" morons, I guarantee you that if it was a supervisor, vp or pres. NOTHING would happen. There are 2 standards in effect when this kind of policy is instituted. If it was reckless driving thats another thing entirely. Also, if he was a recent hire and was in the 90 day or whatever it is in your area evaluation period then I can also understand it. Other then that, it's just plain dumb as one cannot track a pattern from one incident. Course when the company gets sued for hit and run sometime down the road, the worker has a hell of a way to screw the company over by saying that he would be fired. $$$$$$$$ on that one too. Sometimes companies can go to far in PC BS instead of actually using their fargin brains for once. Wonder if there is a policy for BS golden handshakes worth millions of dollors for loser exec's? NAHHHHHH.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:27:14 PM EDT
It does seem to suck from your son's perspecitve.

But can you even imagine the size of a verdict based on the contention that Coke KNOWINGLY, and in disregard for the public's safety, let him get behind the wheel AGAIN, and have him hit, or even involved in, a wreck that killed, or, from a damages standpoint, even worse, crippled someone?

It's harsh, but we live in a litigious society, and I would advise them to do the same thing. Their insurance might even REQUIRE that action.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:34:28 PM EDT
Coca-Cola. It's still better than Pepsi.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:36:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
Personally, its bullshit and for all the "hey its OK" morons, I guarantee you that if it was a supervisor, vp or pres. NOTHING would happen. There are 2 standards in effect when this kind of policy is instituted. If it was reckless driving thats another thing entirely. Also, if he was a recent hire and was in the 90 day or whatever it is in your area evaluation period then I can also understand it. Other then that, it's just plain dumb as one cannot track a pattern from one incident. Course when the company gets sued for hit and run sometime down the road, the worker has a hell of a way to screw the company over by saying that he would be fired. $$$$$$$$ on that one too. Sometimes companies can go to far in PC BS instead of actually using their fargin brains for once. Wonder if there is a policy for BS golden handshakes worth millions of dollors for loser exec's? NAHHHHHH.

I agree it does suck. However, if Coke is anything like Pepsi they don't really want merchandisers hanging around too long. Its a job they'd rather fill every year with new hires (college students working part time to get through school) so they have very stringent work rules. They don't want them guys/gals working 30 years for a pension. If they keep turning over new employees they save on wages (only paying a % of top rate for the job) retirement and health benefits.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
I suppose you never " broke " anything at work in your entire life

Nope i can't afford to break a $10,000 plane, and i haven't shot nobody's dog yet either. So no
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:26:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

your a cop?

Sounds like my former corporal. Couldn't drive worth a shit. Wrecked at least three cars. And I talking just driving around.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:29:55 PM EDT
My neighbor works for Coke as well, and he's mentioned this policy before. Not only that, he told me that Coke (at least this plant) had taken the stance that EVERY accident is preventable... in other words, if you get in a wreck and it's not even your fault, you get in trouble (can't remember if that is grounds for termination).

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:34:31 PM EDT
Seriously sucks.

But I'd bet it was a policy when he was hired so nature of the beast. And probably the same everywhere (Pepsi, etc.). And I bet it it was a VP or similar exec it would not apply.

Hope he finds a better job and moves on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:56:19 PM EDT
Oh boo freaking hoo. Waaah waah it's different for the VPs, waah. Well surprise surprise the world isn't fair. Different rules for different kinds of employees? Wow that's a new thing I never heard of that before. I guess Julius Caesar ate in the mess tent with the grunts too?

The world ain't fair, although I heard the Democrats want to make it the same way for everybody.

You screw up while driving in most driving jobs and you're history. It's been that way forever, and will probably stay that way forever. But if Daddy or Uncle Frank or Grandpa own the company, you probably get a free ding or five.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:59:09 PM EDT

I suppose you never " broke " anything at work in your entire life

Nope i can't afford to break a $10,000 plane, and i haven't shot nobody's dog yet either. So no

What the hell kind of cheap ass plane do you get for 10 K?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 5:03:07 PM EDT by stator]
And I thought it would be because of the switch from sugar to corn sweetner. I was already to reply with "me too!".
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:02:47 PM EDT
If a plane only costs 10k, bet your ass im walking.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:03:07 PM EDT
What the hell kind of cheap ass plane do you get for 10 K?

plans built Ultralites
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:06:21 PM EDT
Severe I guess but also understandable on their part. I am sure their policy on this wasnt some deep secret though.

I hope your son finds a better job.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:16:32 PM EDT
The facility that I work at has implimented an every accident is preventable, fire your ass policy. They have also implimented so much safety shit we call it a "work free, safe and secure enviroment"

They had a guy fall into a saw cutting some exotic material and it messed him up bad. They fired him 90 days after the accident.

My policy is to shut my mouth and not say a word if I get hurt.

It creates an enviroment where folks will not report accidents and injuries, it's really a bad thing. Someone should take them to court over it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:46:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ffsparky26:
The facility that I work at has implimented an every accident is preventable, fire your ass policy. They have also implimented so much safety shit we call it a "work free, safe and secure enviroment"

They had a guy fall into a saw cutting some exotic material and it messed him up bad. They fired him 90 days after the accident.

It creates an enviroment where folks will not report accidents and injuries, it's really a bad thing. Someone should take them to court over it.

I work for an oil company and things are like that with us. God help you if you get in an accident because it is your fault even if a $10,000 Ultralite falls out the sky and hits your company truck.What is sad is the safety sytem we use is a numbers game.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:52:21 PM EDT

My son had been working there for over a year . We have a friend who is in management at that same plant . If the boy had been fucking up , we would have known about it . It may be company policy but I don't have to like it . I damn sure don't have to buy COCA COLA products either .

On his way home from work that last day , he stopped and bought a case of PEPSI . Said it made him feel a little bit better . Especially since he was still wearing a Coke uniform . That's my boy .
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:00:33 PM EDT
Considering how horrible Pepsi tastes, I'd seriously reconsider.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ffsparky26:

And that is exactly correct. The numbers drop while accidents still happen and even if something is dangerous and has injured people before, no one will say anything until a serious one happens. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in la la land. Our company went to cheap ass chinese knock off shit gas fittings that had to be made by blind morons. Even tho several of us [me included as I had 9 years of experience with them] warned ANYONE who would listen that they were CRAP it was not until they were blowing off the pipes and creating an extreme hazard over and over again that the company took them out of service and recalled then leaving the guys to work with nothing that could be used in it's place. All for a few cents apiece.

For those who think thats whining...........well, maybe one of them are right at your houses wall right now. Safety, my ass, some of us know better, it's all about short term advancement of some college educated fool who's #1 job is his own advancement. As for me, I will tell a sup to F-off before I listen to truly dangerous ideas and schemes. I've seen a LOT of em go and I'm still here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:37:00 PM EDT
It's kinda hard to pass any kind of judgement based on the vague "he was in an accident and it
wasn't his fault " summary.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:42:02 PM EDT
Coke sux anyway!

Pepsi rules!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:43:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIPSNIPE1:
It's kinda hard to pass any kind of judgement based on the vague "he was in an accident and it
wasn't his fault " summary.

He said it was his fault
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT
It's something you have to live with. I temped at the Long Beach Nissan car lot once, and it was stated upfront before I even got to go out and drive that if you damaged a car in any way, you were fired on the spot.
On the plus side, I got to drive every type of Infiniti and Nissan that the company makes, including the 300z.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:09:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:10:40 PM EDT by Penguin_101]
It would totally depend on the whole story, Pepsi sucks so I am staying with Coke.

If it was something minor and he was being careful I would say this is over the top.
Top Top