Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 4/18/2006 10:09:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 10:11:51 AM EDT by thompsondd]

7.) Posting topics or discussions with the desire to do the site or community harm. More specifically creating topics meant to disrupt the site's day to day management, disrupt member's resources, or disrupt the ability for the site to function normally.

How does this rule apply to some mexicans eating lunch in another guys' yard?

Just curious.....................
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:16:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:19:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 10:19:59 AM EDT by DK-Prof]

Originally Posted By thompsondd:

7.) Posting topics or discussions with the desire to do the site or community harm. More specifically creating topics meant to disrupt the site's day to day management, disrupt member's resources, or disrupt the ability for the site to function normally.

It's probably a lightning rod for CoC violations, so maybe it was a pre-emptive CoC lock - knowing full well what would undoubtedly have happend.

Then again, the same could be said for "Lincoln wanted to start a war" threads.

Just a guess.  I'm not a mod (thank God)
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:19:48 AM EDT
Yea, that one left me scratching my head also.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:36:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It's probably a lightning rod for CoC violations, so maybe it was a pre-emptive CoC lock - knowing full well what would undoubtedly have happend.
Then again, the same could be said for "Lincoln wanted to start a war" threads.

Just a guess.  I'm not a mod (thank God)

Doesn't any post here have the potential for CoC juju?

If the only standard is that it might be a problematic topic, then does that not destroy the purpose of this site?  Arn't we here to discuss maters that we feel deeply about(sometimes)?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:44:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:

Doesn't any post here have the potential for CoC juju?

If the only standard is that it might be a problematic topic, then does that not destroy the purpose of this site?  Arn't we here to discuss maters that we feel deeply about(sometimes)?

That's exactly why I'm glad I'm not a mod.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:45:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:47:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
Can you post a link to the thread in question?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=456251
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:53:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:57:23 AM EDT

I can't speak for TBK1, but my guess is that he felt that the thread would quickly degenerate into an anti-Mexican series of posts, with some posters eventually being sanctioned for racist remarks.

FWIW, I agree, and had I seen it first, would have done likewise.

OK - fair enough.

But one question: what if nationality never played an issue in the thread. What if it had been "a bunch of guys in my front yard" with the same comments/replies? Would it still be locked?

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:00:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:02:04 AM EDT

I can't speak for TBK1, but my guess is that he felt that the thread would quickly degenerate into an anti-Mexican series of posts, with some posters eventually being sanctioned for racist remarks.

OK - fair enough.

But one question: what if nationality never played an issue in the thread. What if it had been "a bunch of guys in my front yard" with the same comments/replies? Would it still be locked?

I just don't get it.

Simple answer: of course not.  Once you get posts referring to people as "dirty Mexicans" even if done in jest, then the thread will likely go downhill either by spawning similar posts or starting a war with those offended.  Either way, that's COC #7 territory.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:03:04 AM EDT
Its the "Interstate Commerce Clause" of the CoC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:03:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:05:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 11:11:27 AM EDT by thompsondd]

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

OK - fair enough.

I just don't get it.

What if pigs had both Jews and Muslims flying out of their asses??  Now THAT would be a conundrum.  

There were already several Mexican-related topics in the "bash du jour" on page one.  This guy hires workers of Hispanic descent to mow his lawn, then posts a thread about them taking their break on his lawn--and talks of "thinking about turning my sprinklers on but don't want to piss them off because they haven't cut my grass yet"--and then we have a post about "dirty Mexicans" following, and you can't see a teensy bit of a problem?  You're right--you "just don't get it."  I'm guessing it's willful ignorance though.  I'd hate to think you are really that dense.  

Yeah, I guess I am just that dense. That, or I'm a little thicker skinned than some people around here. I just didn't see anything that bad in the thread. Next thing you know, locked.

Far be it to ask a question around here.

Call me stupid. But then again, I'm dense so I probably just won't care.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:11:32 AM EDT
i'm not even going to get in on this action.... i'm probably already on thin ice...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:12:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:14:52 AM EDT

OK - fair enough.

I just don't get it.

What if pigs had both Jews and Muslims flying out of their asses??  Now THAT would be a conundrum.  

There were already several Mexican-related topics in the "bash du jour" on page one.  This guy hires workers of Hispanic descent to mow his lawn, then posts a thread about them taking their break on his lawn--and talks of "thinking about turning my sprinklers on but don't want to piss them off because they haven't cut my grass yet"--and then we have a post about "dirty Mexicans" following, and you can't see a teensy bit of a problem?  You're right--you "just don't get it."  I'm guessing it's willful ignorance though.  I'd hate to think you are really that dense.  

Yeah, I guess I am just that dense. That, or I'm a little thicker skinned than some people around here. I just didn't see anything that bad in the thread. Next thing you know, locked.

Far be it to ask a question around here.

Call me stupid. But then again, I'm dense so I probably just won't care.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want.  Perhaps I should point out that most serious questions are asked via IM, as a thread may not even be seen by the person(s) who can provide an answer.  

It wasn't that serious of a question. More of a curiousity than a burning question. Besides, I wouldn't know who to IM it to anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:16:39 AM EDT

You guys sure are spending a lot of time defending stuff that doesn't need defending.

DANCE for me boy, DANCE!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:19:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:19:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 11:19:35 AM EDT by thebeekeeper1]
Illustration lock only.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 11:19:53 AM EDT by thebeekeeper1]
Unlocked.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:23:34 AM EDT
IATL
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:24:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:24:32 AM EDT
IATL woot
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:26:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brassburn:

OK - fair enough.

I just don't get it.

Simple answer: of course not.  Once you get posts referring to people as "dirty Mexicans" even if done in jest, then the thread will likely go downhill either by spawning similar posts or starting a war with those offended.  Either way, that's COC #7 territory.

Exactly!  ::golf clap::

The "dirty Mexicans" post by Stealth was clearly intended to be a jab at bigots, but ended up being a less than stellar execution of a great idea/point.

Stealth's post was less than stellar, but...

I would also say that was only slightly over par for Arfcom.

I think people have become so acustomed to seeing such things here that they don't think much of it.  I personly just trudge through and anything like what was posted only occupies a moment in my mind and is discarded as the trash that it is.  Realistcly I did not see that post going anywhere but down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:31:08 AM EDT
But on the bright side, next week we'll move off of the "mods suck" topics and cycle through to "cops suck", followed by "everyone but myself sucks" followed by the relatively frequent cycles of  evolution, Rop'rs, USS liberty, and so on.

I was impressed that the civil war bitching took so long to cycle through.  I must of missed some days a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:32:03 AM EDT
My last message was lost during the demo lock.

I guess I just don't read about 90% of the stuff in GD with any degree of close scrutinity. Why? Most of it isn't meant to be that serious. U don't think most people do judging from most of the responses you read in the GD. Granted, there is some serious stuff here, and that, I read closely. Whether or not you can substitute cadbury eggs for real eggs just doesn't garner my full attention. This thread was the same way and therefore, I guess I didn't discern anything that had earned a lock and hence, my question.

That is all.

BTW - I am really NOT that dense. I am actually a brain surgeon, a nuclear physicist, AND a space shuttle door gunner.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:33:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stealth:
But on the bright side, next week we'll move off of the "mods suck" topics and cycle through to "cops suck", followed by "everyone but myself sucks" followed by the relatively frequent cycles of  evolution, Rop'rs, USS liberty, and so on.

I was impressed that the civil war bitching took so long to cycle through.  I must of missed some days a couple weeks ago.

wait, was that meant to be serious?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:34:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
i'm not even going to get in on this action.... i'm probably already on thin ice...

Stop moving around so much! Beedude is terrible at calculating windage, I need a new spotter....

rut roh... time to take cover and hope you're not using 308!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:35:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Stop moving around so much! Beedude is terrible at calculating windage, I need a new spotter....

rut roh... time to take cover and hope you're not using 308!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:36:16 AM EDT

The "dirty Mexicans" post by Stealth was clearly intended to be a jab at bigots, but ended up being a less than stellar execution of a great idea/point.

I tried, but my execution of everything seems to off this week.  No disruption meant, but I didn't think that thread could be hurt any more than it was.

I need more sleep.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 11:37:33 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:36:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:41:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:43:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Precrime division of the mod department.
Top Top