Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
I've driven a bunch of different manual cars and I notice the clutches can be significantly different in regard to the weight required to press them in, how far in you have to press them, how far in they have to be until the gear engages, etc.  For example, the clutch on a Subaru is heavy, you have to push it what feels like 2 feet, and it doesn't engage until it's almost at the floor.  Then on a Neon it's a few pounds to engage it, move it a few inches and it engages.  

Now I'm trying to  educate myself so any info would be great.  But when it comes to customizing a car, is it possible to tweak something like a clutch pedal for how hard and how deep you have to push it in?  Is it fairly easy to do or more of a pain than it's worth?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Were these all new?  Making sure that wear and adjustment were not a factor.  

Some clutches have mechanical linkage which usually makes them harder, some have hydraulic linkage which is usually softer. The angle at which your leg and foot hit the pedal also comes into play.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
With most clutch pedals, there is some adjustment available in the pedal linkage, which will allow you to take up any slack that might be in the pedal travel.  Baring that, actually changing the characteristics of the clutch usually involves changing out some part of the clutch mechanism, such as the pressure plate, clutch plate, slave and/or master cylinder.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
some are hydraulic and some are cable
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know of any car built in the last 20 30 years with a cable clutch, but I'm willing to google it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Ford Mustang used cables until somewhere around 2004.
Some felt differences will be due to the materials that the clutch is made of but the majority of difference is in the spring rate of the pressure plate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
And the engagement point will be determined by the throw out bearing.
Some are a fixed position and cannot be changed, some can be flipped around for lower/higher engagement points.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know of any car built in the last 20 30 years with a cable clutch, but I'm willing to google it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

80's and early 90's Mopars all had cable clutches, at least with the 2.2 and 2.5l motors. Clutch travel was measured with a yardstick.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You can tweak the clutch throw out on a hydro by installing a bigger bore master and adjust the height of the pedal.  Pedal weight is also determined by pressure plate clamping force.

A lot of the newer high power clutches have multiple friction discs.  I've demolished quite a few in my LSX powered TA.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mustangs and sidekicks had cables until pretty recently. IMHO its the best method for clutch actuation.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Too many variables .
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mustangs and sidekicks had cables until pretty recently. IMHO its the best method for clutch actuation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently.  It just seems so... archaic.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ford Mustang used cables until somewhere around 2004.
Some felt differences will be due to the materials that the clutch is made of but the majority of difference is in the spring rate of the pressure plate.
View Quote

Yup.

And trans/clutch swaps were a breeze.    Having done a 2005, 3 times in one month between part failures and forgetting something on one install, hydraulic clutches can be a pain to bleed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I still like the old linkage type best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top