Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2010 3:02:05 PM EDT
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11992270

"Fighter pilots may owe their ability to perform under pressure to the way their brains are wired-up, scans suggest.

The study found differences in the white matter and connections of the brain's right hemisphere, compared with healthy volunteers who were not pilots."

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say it's a little of both, born and trained, but that is just an opinion.

My wife still doesn't understand how I can open a kitchen cabinet with my right hand and have a can of soup fall out and I catch it with my right hand before it hits the counter. It happens without me thinking about it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for subsequent reading.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
There are still plenty of stupid fuckers in that mix.

A fighter pilot is most definitely not born, it takes a shitload of bananas to get them in shape.

I will buy the fact that the job does use parts of the brain which results in some abilities being "greater" than a normal person
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
This reminds me of reading Ed Macy's book "Apache". He was talking about how due to the way the Apache's systems work, you learn to use each eye independently of the other and he was mentioning how he could basically read two things at the same time, one with each eye and comprehend both due to the extensive training he had received.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This reminds me of reading Ed Macy's book "Apache". He was talking about how due to the way the Apache's systems work, you learn to use each eye independently of the other and he was mentioning how he could basically read two things at the same time, one with each eye and comprehend both due to the extensive training he had received.

Nicholas Cage gave us insight into the training in the documentary Firebirds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The mental abilities are probably a result of years of excess alcohol consumption
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The mental abilities are probably a result of years of excess alcohol consumption

And here I was thinking it was all from the Ray-Bans and leather jackets.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would say it's a little of both, born and trained, but that is just an opinion.

My wife still doesn't understand how I can open a kitchen cabinet with my right hand and have a can of soup fall out and I catch it with my right hand before it hits the counter. It happens without me thinking about it.

I can do that.  Can I be a pilot?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Goose, watch the canopy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well fuck, I must be doing something wrong then.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Fighter jet designed by engineers

Flown by college graduates

Maintained and repaired by high school grads

Most pilots I have worked with with you don't want to give them a wrench or screwdriver
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Old habits die hard
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]

The pilot is just a stick actuator, train them in some monkey skills and send them out to the runway.

Now, the poor mechanic dude who fixes the planes these pilots break has most of the brain power between the two.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The pilot is just a stick actuator, train them in some monkey skills and send them out to the runway.

Now, the poor mechanic dude who fixes the planes these pilots break has most of the brain power between the two.

Did you know that there is only a finite amount of beer on base? Did you also know that pilots break airplanes on purpose to keep the mechanics busy so they don't drink up all the beer?

I bet you didn't realize that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old habits die hard
What you did there... yeah, ok.  I can see it.  

[mutters and exits stage right]
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And here I was thinking it was all from the Ray-Bans and leather jackets.

I thought it was all the volleyball and Kelly McGinnis.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Most pilots I have worked with with you don't want to give them a wrench or screwdriver

I once loaned a pair of vise-grips to a pilot.  Even gave him detailed verbal instructions on how to do what he wanted to do.

Only took me doing it once, to learn to never do it again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Use to be REALLY good eyesight was a benefit, as with Chuck Yeager.

Ted Williams was a gunnery trainer IIRC in WWII after breaking all the records for different aspects of this skill.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to see a comparison with race car drivers, Olympic/world-class athletes in almost any sport, high-level competetive video game players, etc.

I'm willing to bet there are similarities and that not only do you have to be born "fast," you also have to train your brain to use it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#21]
joke from a jet mechanic buddy,

"how do you know who the fighter pilot is at a party......................he'll tell you"
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

In 20 or 30 years "pilots" will be high schoolers who play too much Xbox.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Isn't our old buddy Napoleon_Tanerite flying a plane somewhere?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Avatar + Post + Nature of this thread = WIN

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can do that.  Can I be a pilot?

I can do that too.  I can has F-22?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you know that there is only a finite amount of beer on base? Did you also know that pilots break airplanes on purpose to keep the mechanics busy so they don't drink up all the beer?

I fuckin knew it.

Next redball, see how long it takes for me to help you out.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Yep, really.

Officers in the US mil are college graduates, and enlisted are high school graduates.

A LOT of work goes into writing the maintenance manuals for ANY system so the enlisted can maintain them (step by step debug/troubleshooting procedures).

For more advanced stuff, the factory field service guys do anything complicated.

Some aircraft remain under factory reps for many years (SR-71 & U-2 in particular).

I have meet many pilots over the years who had good mechanical aptitude, but plenty of them do not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#28]
i forgot my user name for my online banking

now were did i park my spitfire
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

He isn't a fighter pilot.

We have a few here though.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Old habits die hard
What you did there... yeah, ok.  I can see it.  

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/185/007785_19.jpg

[mutters and exits stage right]

Ha, was wondering if anyone would.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#31]
The Discovery Channel did a show on this a few years ago.  They talked about people like this having smaller brains that were wired more efficiently than the average person.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mine just taught me to stack cans properly...........
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Any pilot , not just fighter pilots , that have a job where you must multi task at high speed (and close to the ground.....)  better be able to do things in that aircraft without having to think about it first !
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Before he got the boot I think he said he was flying UAVs for the Air Force.  No idea if it was true or not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before he got the boot I think he said he was flying UAVs for the Air Force.  No idea if it was true or not.
No he was flying the plane with all the sensors to detect ground activity, can't remember the model.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I once watched an F-15E driver hop out after landing with an IFE, run to the wingtip and jump off before rescue crews got there all while the jet began rolling backwards down the runway.

One of the FFs had to run over and chock it before it got going too fast to stop.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Perhaps those people who make their way into the cockpit of a fighter (many pilot trainees are sent to bombers, tankers, transports, etc) do so because they are born with certain abilities. OTOH, perhaps fighter pilots weren't born with these abilities. Maybe the nature of their work required them to use parts of their brain they previously hadn't used, thus strengthening those parts of the brain. In other words, it could be set in stone, or it could be it might be adaptive.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#38]
The brain has got to stay ahead of the plane.

Was never a jet jock, just prop jobs.

The older I get, the slower my brain works. I'm half asleep now. Guess I can rule-out jet time...
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#39]
In 20 or 30 years "pilots" will be high schoolers who play too much Xbox.

Not at the cost of millions per "life".  Crash on xbox - no problem.  Crash a preditor - and your career is probly over.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"Fighter pilots may owe their ability to perform under pressure to the way their brains are wired-up, scans suggest.
The study found differences in the white matter and connections of the brain's right hemisphere, compared with healthy volunteers who were not pilots."

I thought brains were referred to as "grey matter".

I'm probably wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They lie apparently..

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's both.  Myelinated and unmyelinated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I have no doubt there is some link, but they don't just let anyone be a fighter pilot. It shouldn't be a surprise that they don't have above avg minds to deal with issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Perhaps those people who make their way into the cockpit of a fighter (many pilot trainees are sent to bombers, tankers, transports, etc) do so because they are born with certain abilities. OTOH, perhaps fighter pilots weren't born with these abilities. Maybe the nature of their work required them to use parts of their brain they previously hadn't used, thus strengthening those parts of the brain. In other words, it could be set in stone, or it could be it might be adaptive.

Couple decades ago, I read an article on the topic, and it essentially said that you have two types of fighter pilots: natural talent, and information managers.

The natural talent pilots are the ones that seem to pick up the training quickly and just seem to have been born with the required mental abilities for dogfighting.  They progress as far as their talent will take them.

The information managers don't have as much natural talent, but they have a better ability to juggle information from separate sources and make the required decisions while also doing other tasks.  They are more likely to struggle with the training, but once they polish their skills, they tend to become better pilots (or at least do better at handling a wider range of missions) than the natural talent pilots.

The article also said that it was possible for a natural talent pilot to become an information manager pilot, but this would require the natural talent pilot to work to develop the skills that an information manager pilot had from the beginning.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so true.. and CDAT's do it to to keep the hull and turret rats busy and also away from the beer..
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You know my brother?

7mm
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

There are still plenty of stupid fuckers in that mix.

A fighter pilot is most definitely not born, it takes a shitload of bananas to get them in shape.

I will buy the fact that the job does use parts of the brain which results in some abilities being "greater" than a normal person

So your saying Fighter Pilots are "abnormal"?

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
i can stack things in a cabinet without things falling out. i can also juggle. can i be a pilot ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the brain has gray matter and white matter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Yep, really.

Officers in the US mil are college graduates, and enlisted are high school graduates.

A LOT of work goes into writing the maintenance manuals for ANY system so the enlisted can maintain them (step by step debug/troubleshooting procedures).

For more advanced stuff, the factory field service guys do anything complicated.

Some aircraft remain under factory reps for many years (SR-71 & U-2 in particular).

I have meet many pilots over the years who had good mechanical aptitude, but plenty of them do not.

Thanks, I just meant to ask if we really needed to drag up that tired old platitude. My fault for not writing a thorough reply.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top