Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:08:29 PM EDT
So I watched it tonight. I liked it.

I thought this one wasn't supposed to be that good? The only part that was a little tough was the shaky camera, but I think my eyes adjusted.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:18:09 PM EDT
I thought it sucked. My wife watched it earlier too. She came to the same conclusion.

Everything they did in the movie was idiotic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:19:08 PM EDT
It was pretty entertaining, I guess. Worth watching once.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:23:33 PM EDT
I went into the movie with the expectations that it would be a pretty good movie. Turns out, it indeed was a pretty good movie. I thought it was the best "large monster runs rampage on a major city" movie in years. Much better than "Godzilla" with Matthew Broderick by a long shot.

I guess after watching "Blair Witch" (which nearly made me motion sick the first time I watched it), I've just gotten used to the no-Steadycam thing.

Any word of a sequel?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:23:34 PM EDT
I was cheering for the monster......
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:23:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ragedracer1977:
I thought it sucked. My wife watched it earlier too. She came to the same conclusion.

That's pretty much what they usually do though. I was mostly disappointed in the military's weak attack. But I still liked it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:24:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Znak:
It was pretty entertaining, I guess. Worth watching once.

Yep I am not going to watch it again but I'm glad I did.

I think it helped that I wasn't expecting much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 10:25:57 PM EDT by Znak]
Originally Posted By Sique:

That's pretty much what they usually do though. I was mostly disappointed in the military's weak attack. But I still liked it.

The military wouldn't have been there to attack it at all for a while, in 'real life'. National Guard units don't just sit around on their tanks in Central Park waiting for a big monster to attack.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Willmar:

Any word of a sequel?

According to the Wiki entry they are planning a sequel. I think whenever a movie is halfway profitable they at least have to consider it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:26:53 PM EDT
I enjoyed up until the 1000 pound bombs didn't kill it. Then I called bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:27:36 PM EDT

well,

1) it's a movie
2) it's a movie about a huge monster

If you are looking for accuracy, you're already two strikes in the hole.

Granted, climbing umpteen stories into a building that's already leaning on another to save your girlfriend was asking for trouble but then again, see points one and two.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:36:11 PM EDT

I found it very annoying.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:40:29 PM EDT
I enjoyed it. I've come to the conclusion that if a movie isn't completely realistic in every single aspect, most of GD will hate it. I go to movies to be entertained, not for a science/history/physics lesson. YMMV. The Blair Witch style cinematography left a bit to be desired, but the movie was meant to be actual footage shot by the people going through the experience. I don't know what's hard about that to understand for some.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:49:35 PM EDT
He did do the old sneak up on them trick. He must have watched the T-Rex do this at the end of Jurassic Park.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:15 PM EDT
Had a couple of "WTF?" moments for me...but for the most part, I loved it. One of the better movies I'd seen that year.

(WTF moments: Click To View Spoiler)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:13:14 PM EDT
Go in the closet, shut the door, start crying while shaking your camcorder as hard as you can. You just filmed Cloverfield.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:16:45 PM EDT
I thought it was good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:20:24 PM EDT

well,

1) it's a movie

Granted, climbing umpteen stories into a building that's already leaning on another to save your girlfriend was asking for trouble but then again, see points one and two.

I can only reasonably suspend my disbelief so far.

I'm more talking about it seemed like they spent the entire movie running towards the monster rather than away. Hell, even in the helicopter. Rather than heading opposite the direction the monster was going, they just cruised along right with it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:57:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sique:

The military wouldn't have been there to attack it at all for a while, in 'real life'. National Guard units don't just sit around on their tanks in Central Park waiting for a big monster to attack.

Sadly...

I liked the movie myself...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:58:45 PM EDT

well,

1) it's a movie

We have a winner....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:01:23 AM EDT
I thought it wasn't a total waste of time to watch it once.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:10:38 AM EDT
I liked it,I am not really looking for realism in a Godzilla flick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:20:04 AM EDT
I like the Blair Witch approach. And not seeing the entire monster until the end was a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:23:10 AM EDT
only watched the Rifftrax version, thought it was awful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:33:59 AM EDT
I liked the fact it showed what happended to an unarmed sheeple society. The only people you see with weapons in that movie is the military.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:35:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bakeman86:
I liked the fact it showed what happended to an unarmed sheeple society. The only people you see with weapons in that movie is the military.

In the context of the movie, even if they'd all had AR-15s, the result would have been much the same.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:13:36 AM EDT
I didn't hate it, and the one chick was hot
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:16:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 1:16:35 AM EDT by jcarrel]
It was good, but needs to be seen on a proper home theater. If you are watching it on something small you won't get the same effect.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:35:32 AM EDT

Its the "Blair Witch" formula and that movie sucked too. Just lots of leading into something that never happens.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:39:16 AM EDT

In the context of the movie, even if they'd all had AR-15s, the result would have been much the same.

Oh, I don't know. Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:11:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 70satvert:
I enjoyed it. I've come to the conclusion that if a movie isn't completely realistic in every single aspect, most of GD will hate it. I go to movies to be entertained, not for a science/history/physics lesson. YMMV. The Blair Witch style cinematography left a bit to be desired, but the movie was meant to be actual footage shot by the people going through the experience. I don't know what's hard about that to understand for some.

very accurate

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:15:17 AM EDT
It's for kids.

I thought it was somewhat silly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:17:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 3:18:24 AM EDT by 1srelluc]
Originally Posted By StonerStudent:
I was cheering for the monster......

Yep, anything that would eat those lame 20 somethings gets my support too. The military should have got out of the way and maybe the lame-assed movie would have been over in a half-hour. It made my ass tired just to watch it. I only paid a buck for the DVD at a yard sale and after watching it I considered going and asking for my dollar back. Lame. Lame. Lame.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:51:35 AM EDT
Good film...... did what it was supposed to do which was entertain me for two hours for cost of £5, some popcorn and soda.

And yes I would like to see a sequel.

To those pulling the movie apart for its "accuracy": Its a film about a big monster the size of a skyscraper that appears out of nowhere, is covered in giant toothy fleas and stomps around New York breaking stuff.

The whole premise of the film is that it is unstoppable, that the survivors are facing terrible odds, and that confusion reigns. It would be dull as hell if everyone went "Oh look a monster, and here comes the airforce with a bomb to kill it" in the first 5 minutes. I'd be wanting my money back.

IT'S NOT REAL
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:03:30 AM EDT
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:13:50 AM EDT
turned that shit off after 20 or so minutes
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:15:40 AM EDT
Its was entertaining. My wife didn't like it but she's mostly a romantic comedy kinda' gal.

The story was okay, I don't know about climbing up the skyscraper that was mostly falling down. But people tend to be idiots in real life so why not. The bit with the head of Liberty landing in the street at the start was really well done. I don't usually watch monster movies for the realism, so in that respect it did not disappoint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:18:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:19:17 AM EDT
I liked it. Thought it was entertaining. And like someone said, much better than the Godzilla remake.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:19:56 AM EDT
I liked it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:37:17 AM EDT
I really liked it and thought it was a pretty original idea considering Hollywood is drowning in remakes.

So its American Godzilla. I got the same feeling watching it as I did when I rode the Kongfrontation ride down in Universal Studios when I was a kid.

My favorite part of the film was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscMtP-jK6U

I hope the sequel takes place with one of the surviving armed forces personnel with his helmet cam recording all of the footage. If you look closely there is another guy filming on the bridge so they'll probably go with another group of 20 somethings instead.

The Bluray has this mode that you can watch the film and it gives off these little facts and tracks the characters, monster and military movement. This is like that but its not as cool

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:37:51 AM EDT
Its among the wife-units favorite movies, but she's a huge JJ Abrams fan. I thought it was decent. Not my favorite, but not bad either....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:38:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:40:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I really enjoyed it. One of the better movies that year.

I loved the neat little bit near the end, where you realize the original footage on the guy's camcorder accidentally captured the creature arriving.

Explain please.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:41:27 AM EDT

i dont think AR-15s and M1 garands are going to do much good against something 300 feet tall and sheds parasites the size of dogs that are voracious predators
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:48:05 AM EDT
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie at the theater and bought it on DVD when it released.

It is first and foremost a story about love, sacrifice and never giving up.

There happens to be a pretty cool monster in it also.

I thought it was a pretty good representation of what would happen if a 350 foot ocean dwelling "monster" were unleashed on Manhattan island.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:49:43 AM EDT
I liked it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:50:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wardog513:

i dont think AR-15s and M1 garands are going to do much good against something 300 feet tall and sheds parasites the size of dogs that are voracious predators

Looks like a big stick killed the "fleas". Just stay out of the Big Boy's way. Did I say it was lame.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:01:16 AM EDT
God, they shook that damn shaky cam even when the lard ass humping it was sitting still. Jeezus!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 5:12:17 AM EDT by metalsaber]

Originally Posted By Ecko:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I really enjoyed it. One of the better movies that year.

I loved the neat little bit near the end, where you realize the original footage on the guy's camcorder accidentally captured the creature arriving.

Explain please.

At the end, when the tape plays of the earlier events, there is a shot out towards the water. If you watch carefully you can see the creature falling from the sky and landing in th water.

Easier to see on the Blu-ray version.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:07:35 AM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top