Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:52:20 AM EDT
How come I feel closer to Christ at some points than others.

I pray all the time.

I am sincere in all that I do and say.

But there are times when I don't feel a closeness to Him as other times. And I don't understand it. Obviously at this point I am feeling not-so-close.

What say you...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:03:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
How come I feel closer to Christ at some points than others.

I pray all the time.

I am sincere in all that I do and say.

But there are times when I don't feel a closeness to Him as other times. And I don't understand it. Obviously at this point I am feeling not-so-close.

What say you...

I don't have the exact scripture in front of me but God's word says, "Draw nigh unto Me and I shall draw nigh unto you." Seek Him, fellowship with Him, study His word and above all, don't trust your "feelings" trust the Word.

This world is an oppressive place, we have to will to seekHim and stay in fellowship with Him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 3:00:54 PM EDT by Dino]
Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

Mary Stevenson, 1936

This poem is one of those things that if it isn't true, it should be.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:46 PM EDT
I go through that daily.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:13:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
I go through that daily.

It's something I struggle with as well
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:32:30 PM EDT
You have to remember that even though we may not "feel" close to God, our relationship with Jesus is not based on whether or not we "feel" Him in our lives. It is based on our belief that He is the Son of God, our Friend and King, and that we hold our hope of salvation in nothing else, based on His death and resurrection.

I once heard a teacher talk about "the darkness of God." He said that the "darkness of God" is when God makes it seem that He has withdrawn His presence in our life for a time, so that He can see how we treat Him and choose to live when we do not "feel" His presence...to test our fidelity.

Be confident. Your ability to "feel" God has no bearing on His existence or His love for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:05:22 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies, guys... I do appreciate it.

Dino, I love that poem. Always have.

Jaltered, very interesting... I'll keep doing what I'm doing and just hope for the best.

I'm just used to feeling "right" with God... There are times when I suppose I can feel His presence, or at least know that things are fine... Almost like when someone is mad at me, I know it...

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:38:09 AM EDT
Macman, I deal with this all the time.

Though for me it's usually a matter of the question: Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing?

If I read my scriptures and pray on a regular basis, I'm usually feeling pretty good about my standing with the Lord. If I take advantage of an opportunity to help a neighbor, I feel even better.

When I let my eyes wander and look lust at women who aren't my wife, I lose the spirit. Darn it, this one gets me way too often. <--my shame

The good news (Gospel) is that I can repent and start making forward progress again thanks to the Lord.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:33:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 11:36:49 AM EDT by Aerospace_Engineer]
Hi macman37,

Jesus is always with us. It is our human nature to be distracted from Jesus at times. Perhaps he allows us to feel convicted of our distraction so that we come to one another for encouragement. Following Christ is not meant to be a solo journey. We need each other for strength and we should always ask for strength in His holy name. I love this verse, which refers to encouragement and the strength we can gain from each other:
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. -Proverbs 27:17

We are targets of the evil one and he will tempt us to give-in to doubt. Remember "doubting" Thomas and what Jesus said after Thomas only believed after seening the wounds on Jesus' hands:
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. -John 20:29

What a wonderful opportunity we have to honor Jesus by believing in Him without ever seeing Him with our own eyes!
Top Top