Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/22/2012 11:01:37 PM EDT
I've tried sodium hypochlorite drain cleaner several times- barely unclogs it, for less than a day, then it stops up again. I don't want to keep doing that.

Do the $15.00 augers from Home Depot work, or should I rent something beefier? I tried a short plastic snake with barbs on it (Zip-It), that didn't get it done.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:12:20 PM EDT
first take apart the P-trap and see it that is what is clogged.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:41:09 AM EDT
Thanks. I plan to- was just looking at it a few minutes ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:58:51 AM EDT
I tried the snake and it's didn't do anything. The clog was a lot further down the pipe. They sell this stuff in HD thats in a black bottle inside a plastic bag. Poured some in and nothing happened. Poured a little more in and everything was unclogged.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:03:49 AM EDT
Remove p-trap, rent a K-50. Wear gloves and safety glasses since you choose poorly and used drain cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:04:00 AM EDT
Any tips for removing the P-trap?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:56:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By viper5243:
I tried the snake and it's didn't do anything. The clog was a lot further down the pipe. They sell this stuff in HD thats in a black bottle inside a plastic bag. Poured some in and nothing happened. Poured a little more in and everything was unclogged.

'Organic digester' AKA sulfuric acid.

I had a customer that dumped some down a drain and used more than recommended.

It made the PVC drain pipes so hot they sagged between supports.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:40:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brickeyee:
Originally Posted By viper5243:

'Organic digester' AKA sulfuric acid.

I had a customer that dumped some down a drain and used more than recommended.

It made the PVC drain pipes so hot they sagged between supports.

That sounds right.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:54:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Backnblack:
Remove p-trap, rent a K-50. Wear gloves and safety glasses since you choose poorly and used drain cleaner.

yup. I never use drain cleaner. I manually clean the clog out and don't have to worry about splashing shit in my eyes or on my skin.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:12:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RangeWarrior:

yup. I never use drain cleaner. I manually clean the clog out and don't have to worry about splashing shit in my eyes or on my skin.

Make sure you keep your mouth closed.

Black water is nasty stuff.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:04:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brickeyee:
Originally Posted By RangeWarrior:

Make sure you keep your mouth closed.

Black water is nasty stuff.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:54:33 PM EDT
dude, no offense, but if you dont know how a P-trap works, and cant figure it out by looking at the thing, then renting a snake and doing any kind of plumbing past the P-trap is far beyond your abilities.

Just call out a plumber and pay him 300 bucks
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:34:56 PM EDT
No offense taken, my friend. I've just never done it before, and didn't want to mess anything up.

This is really not that hard. Got the P-trap off, and the other J-shaped pipe which hooks up to the drainpipe at the wall. The P-trap and J-shaped pipe are clean.

There was a good bit of silt in the pipe at the wall- probably about 1/3 to 1/2 blocked. I scooped that out with a long skinny teaspoon. Stuck 2 feet of hanger wire down in it- and wiggled it around- that didn't do much.

Then, stuffed a 1-inch diameter piece of tubing into the drainpipe, sealed it off with a plastic bag packed around it, and started pouring water down it- it doesn't flow very well. I think there is still blockage further down. It's kind of looking like snake time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:07:32 PM EDT
What type of pipe are you dealing with? If it is PVC or ABS then I would try the hand snake from home depot, but if it is galvanized I doubt you will have any luck with out some type of machine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:29:44 PM EDT
Undersink pipes are brass, plated with a white metal- chrome, I think.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:15:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TigerForce:

Chrome or nickel, but there are MANY PVC p-traps.

The metal stuff is significantly more expansive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:40:50 AM EDT
And you said that these pipes were clear right? What type of pipe is back in the wall where the clog is?

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:47:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Badfish25:
And you said that these pipes were clear right? What type of pipe is back in the wall where the clog is?

By "clear", I meant clean- not clogged. I removed the P-trap pieces all the way to the wall, and they're clean as a whistle.

The pipe at the wall looks like it's brass- at least the threaded fitting at the drywall is. I can't see much beyond that.

And I'll elaborate- this is an apartment. I put in a maintenance request, and the management said that if the clog was from "neglect" on my part, I suppose due to a hair clog, then I would be responsible for the [$300 probably] plumber bill.

They said to use a licenced, insured, bonded plumber if I called them myself. Well, I'm bald and keep what's left buzzed pretty short, so I'm pretty confident it's not a hairball. How much of a risk is there damaging the pipes if I try a DIY snake?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:13:19 AM EDT
The only real risk is getting the snake stuck and not being able to pull it back out, which is unlikely. And even if it does, you'll probably have to call a plumber, which is probably what you'll have to do anyway if the snake doesn't work.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:41:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hawken50:
The only real risk is getting the snake stuck and not being able to pull it back out, which is unlikely. And even if it does, you'll probably have to call a plumber, which is probably what you'll have to do anyway if the snake doesn't work.

I have seen even plumbers get snakes jammed up and not be able to get them back out.

It is a real risk if using a snake, especially a larger power snake.

The insurance the plumber carries is part of his price.

this is an apartment.

Stop right now.

Your lease is NOT going to cover you (and may even prohibit you) from working on the plumbing.

Pressure the owner to fix the problem.

It is their responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:46:23 PM EDT
Thanks. I think I'll talk to the management some more, and not try to go on trying to DIY.
Top Top