Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 2:24:43 PM EDT
from:www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1816654,00.html

Clinton skeletons burst out of cupboard unlocked by the FBI
From Tim Reid in Washington

IN THE summer of 1998, as the Monica Lewinsky scandal closed in around him, Bill Clinton was hosting an official White House dinner when he told his guests he needed to visit the bathroom.
Excusing himself, he left the table. But, unknown to his guests, he walked in humiliated fury not to the bathroom, but to the White House Map Room. Waiting for him were FBI doctors and a federal prosecutor, there to take his blood sample to see of it matched the DNA on Ms Lewinsky’s now infamous semen-stained dress.

This extraordinary episode, which remained secret until yesterday, is recounted in an explosive new book by Louis Freeh, the FBI Director during the 1990s.

Mr Freeh writes for the first time about his appalling relationship with the President who appointed him, and the endless stream of scandals that made Mr Clinton the constant target of FBI investigations.

“The problem was with Bill Clinton — the scandals and the rumoured scandals, the incubating ones and the dying ones never ended,” Mr Freeh writes in My FBI: Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton, and Fighting the War on Terror.

“Whatever moral compass the President was consulting was leading him in the wrong direction. His closets were full of skeletons just waiting to burst out. We were preoccupied in eight years with multiple investigations.” The scandals included the Whitewater inquiry and Mr Clinton’s affairs with Ms Lewinsky, Paula Jones and Gennifer Flowers.

The need to obtain Mr Clinton’s blood sample was the most unsavoury element of the FBI’s investigation of the Lewinsky saga, Mr Freeh says.

The White House intern, whose affair with Mr Clinton led to impeachment proceedings, had kept a Gap dress stained with his “genetic material” as proof of their relationship. She later revealed its existence to Kenneth Starr, the independent counsel investigating the former President. The dinner party subterfuge was “like a bad movie”, Mr Freeh writes. “But we did it, very carefully, very confidentially.”

John Harris, a Washington Post reporter, provides more detail about the Map Room encounter in his biography of Mr Clinton, The Survivor.

“Clinton’s face was flushed with anger as he rolled up his sleeve while one of his Navy physicians drew the sample. A prosecutor and federal agent fixed their gaze on the vial the entire time, fearful that Clinton’s team might try a surreptitious switch.” Such was the mutual distrust between Mr Starr and Mr Clinton that the former President’s lawyer ordered a second blood sample in case Mr Starr resorted to dirty tricks, according to Mr Harris.

Mr Freeh also writes of a conversation between Mr Clinton and Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia in the aftermath of the Khobar Towers bombing that killed 19 US servicemen in Dhahran in 1996. He claims that Mr Clinton used the occasion to solicit a donation for his presidential library.

Mr Freeh says that Mr Clinton refused to insist that the Crown Prince allow the FBI to question suspects held in custody in Saudi Arabia. “Bill Clinton raised the subject only to tell the Crown Prince he understood the Saudis’ reluctance to co-operate and then he hit Abdullah up for a contribution to the Clinton Presidential Library.”

Newt Gingrich, the former Republican House Speaker and erstwhile Clinton nemesis, said on the Fox television network: “If Louis Freeh is prepared to swear on oath that he knows that President Clinton was asking foreign leaders for money . . . this has to be a criminal offence of the first order.”

Mr Freeh was appointed by Mr Clinton in 1993, but relations between the two became poisoned. Mr Freeh writes that to distance himself from the scandals, he refused a White House pass that would have allowed him access without signing in. “I wanted all my visits to be official,” he said.

They clashed repeatedly, including over an FBI inquiry into alleged Chinese efforts to funnel campaign donations to Democrats, an inquiry that Mr Freeh never told Mr Clinton about. Mr Clinton soon referred to the FBI chief as “F****** Freeh”, seeing him as an agent for the Republicans

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The affairs dont bother me in the slightest.

The issue with the Chinese, thats a whole new ballgame.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah who can blame him for the affairs.  I mean, if you were married to Hitlery, you'd cheat too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Dupe from yesterday, at least.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda feel like letting this one ride.

Same here.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah who can blame him for the affairs.  I mean, if you were married to Hitlery, you'd cheat too.

And to think Bill Actually had sex with her ....at least once
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it was a three-way. Bill looked at the hot chick while doing Hillarah doggie style.  

(Can't wait to see that one pop up over on DUh!  )
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's why he should have come clean and admitted his failings.  But the lying asshole thought he could lie and bullshit his way out of it, making far worse and breaking several laws in the process.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why he should have come clean and admitted his failings.  But the lying asshole thought he could lie and bullshit his way out of it, making far worse and breaking several laws in the process.

THANK YOU.
That one sentence sums up the entire problem.

If he had just come clean on it at the beginning it would have blown over.  Or pretty much at least.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it was a three-way. Bill looked at the hot chick while doing Hillarah doggie style.  

(Can't wait to see that one pop up over on DUh!  )

Bill doing Hillary Doggie Style? I thought Buddy was doing Hillary.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THANK YOU.
That one sentence sums up the entire problem.

If he had just come clean on it at the beginning it would have blown over.  Or pretty much at least.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not quite, he lied because the prosecution was using the affair to show a pattern of behavior in the sexual harassment suit against him at the time..      
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the Starr report, he knocked the bottom out of Monica's browneye...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite, he lied because the prosecution was using the affair to show a pattern of behavior in the sexual harassment suit against him at the time..      

And this is what the real problem was.

I don't really care that he was cheating on his wife, but him lying about it is the reason that Paula Jones didn't get her day in court. The President, stole justice away from one of the little people. This is what the real problem was, and I can't believe more people don't get that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I could bang her!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda feel like letting this one ride.

Same here.

I kinda feel like getting this posted over at DU..
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly right.

I've always said if he only stood up, put on his famous pout and said "Yes I had sexual relations with this woman" the whole mess would have evaporated right there. He would have been forgiven and everything forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've always said if he only stood up, put on his famous pout and said "Yes I had sexual relations with this woman" the whole mess would have evaporated right there. He would have been forgiven and everything forgotten.

If he would have admitted it then he probably would have ended up going to trial for the sexual harassment changes against him at the time (the facts disappear fast nowadays) - he and Hitlery knew this and that's why he lied. She wasn't mad because he did it, she was mad because he got caught and risked losing THEIR position of power. Of course she knew of all his indiscretions, there is know way she is dumb enough not to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top