BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 9:29:47 AM EDT
[url]http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-push25.html[/url]

Clinton says gains made under him being erased

June 25, 2003

BY COURTNEY K. WADE Staff Reporter

Former President Bill Clinton on Tuesday pointed his finger at the Bush administration, saying it is erasing accomplishments that he worked hard to achieve.

Clinton said the United States cannot be strong abroad, a reference to the war on terrorism, and weak or divided at home over social issues.

"Terror cannot defeat us," he said at the 32nd annual Rainbow/ PUSH Coalition Convention. "We can hurt ourselves by responding to the threat of terror in a way that compromises the character of this country and the future of our children."

Although Clinton began several sentences with the phrase, "When I was president," he did praise the Bush administration for continuing to fight AIDS and giving assistance to poor countries to grow their way out of poverty.

Clinton has been a supporter of affirmative action. So it was no surprise that a day after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled universities can continue to use race as a factor when admitting students, but said a point-based system giving extra points to minorities went too far, he voiced his views on the matter.

"Minority students, especially African Americans and Latinos, are disproportionately less likely to have a level playing field in public schools in the years running up to college," Clinton said.

"If we had equal spending and educational quality in every single public school in this country, we wouldn't need affirmative action for college admissions anymore," he said.

While the former president said he hopes affirmative action will not always be necessary, he said he was uncertain Monday's decision will hasten that outcome.

Clinton also spoke about President Bush's tax cut plan that, for him, will equal an estimated $80,000 windfall.

He said he'd rather not get a check if it means cutting education, health care, after-school programs and raising the cost of student loans.

He encouraged the mostly black audience to vote for leaders who have their best interests at heart.

Some audience members marveled at Clinton's support for issues that matter to them.

"He gave insight to things that we overlook," said Ryan Fields, 20, a Morehouse College student from the Beverly neighborhood. "It's like the Trojan horse. The [enemy] warriors are coming out at night, and that could mean slavery, if we allow it."
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
...and right after presenting his speech, President Bill Clinton propositioned members of the Rainbow/ PUSH Coalition Convention to play 'hide the salami' with him.  'I got your Trojan horse right here', he said...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-push25.html[/url]

"Terror cannot defeat us," he said at the 32nd annual [red]Rainbow/ PUSH Coalition Convention.[/red] "We can hurt ourselves by responding to the threat of terror in a way that compromises the character of this country and the future of our children."
View Quote

Yeah, what kind of "progress" does he want this country to make?  His opinions on progress mean about as much to me as shit on a stick.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Please let a meteorite land on his head.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't there an unspoken rule about former Presidents not criticizing sitting Presidents?  I guess that doesn't apply to democractic former Presidents.

Why do people still vote Dem?

Alex
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

To which I say, "Thank you, Jesus."

"Minority students, especially African Americans and Latinos, are disproportionately less likely to have a level playing field in public schools in the years running up to college," Clinton said.

"If we had equal spending and educational quality in every single public school in this country, we wouldn't need affirmative action for college admissions anymore," he said.
View Quote

Washington, DC spends more money per student than almost any other school district in the country.  It is still one of the worse.

Clinton also spoke about President Bush's tax cut plan that, for him, will equal an estimated $80,000 windfall.

He said he'd rather not get a check if it means cutting education, health care, after-school programs and raising the cost of student loans.
View Quote

Then send it back to the government as a gift.  They'd be glad to get it.

He encouraged the mostly black audience to vote for leaders who have their best interests at heart.
View Quote

I, on the other hand, would have told them to vote for leaders that have America's best interest at heart.

"He gave insight to things that we overlook," said Ryan Fields, 20, a Morehouse College student from the Beverly neighborhood. "It's like the Trojan horse. The [enemy] warriors are coming out at night, and that could mean slavery, if we allow it."
View Quote

This young man apparently actually believes that slavery is a real possibility.

What is the world coming to?

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Clinton only did three things that I approve of: he signed welfare reform, signed NAFTA, and decoded GPS for civilians, so now their units are as accurate as the military's.

That's about it.  The incredible economy and job growth had nothing to do with him or his policies.  Before he was elected, he thought the US should mimic Japan's way of integrating government with big business [rolleyes]

Like someone said, there's not much Clinton left to erase.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't care what Clinton says.  He's demonstrated that the words that come out of his mouth are just as valuable as the $hit that comes out of his a$$
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Terror cannot defeat us," he said at the 32nd annual [red]Rainbow/ PUSH Coalition Convention.[/red] "We can hurt ourselves by responding to the threat of terror in a way that compromises the character of this country and the future of our children."
View Quote

...shit on a stick.
View Quote

Does that reference the red text above?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Bill Clinton got a bunch of my friends killed on Sept. 11.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you know when Bill Clinton is lying?  When his lips are moving.

God won't that piece of shit EVER go away?!

<>

He really makes me want to vomit...just like his "missus" does. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
we can only hope that the "losses" made under the Klintons will be erased.

Just a thought: What do you think the US will become if Hilary gets elected president and Bill gets appointed Sec Gen of the UN ???
I do consider this a real possibility.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a thought: What do you think the US will become if Hilary gets elected president and Bill gets appointed Sec Gen of the UN ???
I do consider this a real possibility.
View Quote

This is my nightmare.  It's made even more real by the fact that there are enough useful idiots out there that WANT this to happen and think it would the best thing for the planet if it did.

Me?  I'll be in a cabin somewhere in the mountains waiting for the signal to come out shooting at blue helmets.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
If the "gains" made under him are being "erased", then that's proof positive that we're moving in the right direction....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Somebody likes NAFTA....oh I guess you still got a job...they haven't found someone in a third world country to give it to YET....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Maybe he really wanted to say "Stains" instead of gains. [:D]  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#18]
One would have to assume, of course, that his "gains" were actually progress. Yes, they were "progressive", but certainly didn't show "progress".  

Let's see, it's been about 12 years now that I've HATED that prick...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Clinton only did three things that I approve of: he signed welfare reform, signed NAFTA, and decoded GPS for civilians, so now their units are as accurate as the military's.

That's about it.  The incredible economy and job growth had nothing to do with him or his policies.  Before he was elected, he thought the US should mimic Japan's way of integrating government with big business [rolleyes]

Like someone said, there's not much Clinton left to erase.
View Quote

He did something else good: he reduced the capital gains tax.

Of course, the capital capital gains tax cut, welfare reform, and NAFTA were Republican issues; they owe more to the Republican Congress than to Crooked Dick, although we should note the things "The Big Creep" did right, even if he wasn't the prime mover.

Funny thing is, the people in this audience probably didn't know that it was Clinton that signed welfare reform and the capital gains tax cut. They probably think it was the Repubs that kicked 'em off welfare, and they probably have no clue what "capital gains" means.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What is it going to take to shut slick Willy up once and for all? A mexican neck tie? I mean every fucking day it is bill clinton this hillary clinton that, enough is enough.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Bill loves the limelight and really believes that he has a vision for the country (ye gods!)

Hitlery on the other hand is an evil, power hungry, backstabbing demon spawned bitch from hell that will do anything, say anything and screw over anyone in her way.  She is evil with a cap "E".

They will NEVER go away until they are either completly discredited in the only court they understand: The court of public opinion, or convicted and sent to prison.  Even then I can see them trying to run things from the backrooms until they are too old to function.

Maybe we should think about raising the minimum age for the President?  Part of Bill's problem is that he's got half his life ahead of him.  Could any of us simply fade away that young when you've spent your whole life in the spotlight and center of attention?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that gains, or did he mean stains? which we all know won't be erased in his life time!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is that gains, or did he mean stains? which we all know won't be erased in his life time!
View Quote

I can't wait for that dress to end up in the Smithsonian.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Didn't even mention Bush not picking up the dropped ball on Hitlery's socialized health care
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
8 across, four letter for skin flute. [stick]

What a worthless pos he is...

I wish he were erased..did I say that? [devil]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Good.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I think he took his "tin-foil" hat off, stuck his thumb in his ear and wiggled his fingers at the audience when he was done.  Oh yeah, and he finished with a "razzberry".
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Bill should shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Clinton was absolutely worthless as a president, but the Clintons' hogging of the limelight is great. It takes the focus away from the Democrats who have a chance to be elected.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
To get elected in the first place, Clinton promised America "a middle-class tax cut."  3 days after he was elected, and 71 days before he was sworn in, he broke his promise.  In fact, we ended up with the largest tax increase in American history.

After taking office, Clinton stunned the nation by unilaterally deciding to upend the policies of the Armed Forces regarding homosexuality.  When his campaign was almost broke, "gay" political activists donated 5 million dollars to Clinton in exchange for this promise.  It was made public at the time but no major newspaper or network discussed this earth-shaking policy change in any detail, instead prefering to talk about the "middle-class tax cut" that we were never to receive.

Then the President's wife began meeting in secret with health care industry insiders, drawing up an illegal plan to socialize 16% of the American economy.  This plan would have imposed a $5000 fine for seeing a doctor without using a government issued health care card.

After this, America got the Brady Bill and the AWB, with a promise of more to come.  We would have gotten more, too, if not for the Republican Revoultion of 1994.

After 1994, the only significant thing that Clinton accomplished was welfare reform.  Two different reform bills came to Clinton and he vetoed both of them.  He only signed the third bill to prevent Dole from having another issue to use against him in 1996, and in fact told America that he should be re-elected so he could change the reform bill that he had just signed.

Clinton's entire second term was wasted and ineffectual.  He did almost nothing of importance, being tied up by scandal and impeachment.  His attempt to have Gore succeed him failed, thank God.

In short, Clinton made almost no "gains" that would have to be erased.  Bush II has had 2 different tax cuts which offset the massive tax increase Clinton inflicted on America.  The AWB is likely to sunset without any action being taken.  This leaves only the Brady Bill, don't-ask-don't-tell, a Republican welfare reform bill and Impeachment as Clinton's only legacy.  Not exactly gains, but then when did Clinton ever tell the truth about anything?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top