Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2008 7:42:35 AM EDT
Clint Eastwood says Spike Lee should "shut his face" about the lack of African-Americans in "Flags of Our Fathers."

"Has he ever studied the history?" Eastwood asked the U.K.'s Guardian in an interview published on Friday.

While promoting his own war movie, "Miracle at St. Anna," about the all-black 92nd Buffalo Division, which fought the Germans in Italy during World War II, Lee said Eastwood's Iwo Jima movie "Flags of Our Fathers" lacked a single African-American.

"There were many African-Americans who survived that war and who were upset at Clint for not having one [in 'Flags' or 'Letters From Iwo Jima']. That was his version: The negro soldier did not exist. I have a different version," Lee said recently at the Cannes film festival in France.

In response, Eastwood told the Guardian: "A guy like him should shut his face."

"He was complaining when I did 'Bird' [the 1988 biopic of Charlie Parker]. Why would a white guy be doing that? I was the only guy who made it, that's why. He could have gone ahead and made it. Instead he was making something else."

RelatedStories
Eastwood Says He's Too Old for Dirty Harry, Jolie Might Give Try As for "Flags of Our Fathers," he says there was a small detachment of black troops on Iwo Jima as a part of a munitions company, "but they didn't raise the flag. The story is 'Flags of Our Fathers,' the famous flag-raising picture, and they didn't do that. If I go ahead and put an African-American actor in there, people'd go, 'This guy's lost his mind.' I mean, it's not accurate."

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,363665,00.html

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
How about this Spike?  I refuse to go see your movie. Not because I want to take away from the contribution of African American soldiers and their sacrifices for our nation, but simply because I don't like you or your bullshit pity-party politics.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Spike Lee is an asshole. I bet Eastwood could kick his skinny black ass, despite the huge age difference.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Fact is during that  time period the  black male was regulated to kitchen duties and stuff like that .
Very  few in combat units
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Yo' whiteness Sickatates me!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dupealicious.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=717580

I didn't participate in that thread, therefore this is the only one that matters now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Dupe--http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=717580
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top