Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
-The winters are atrocious.
-As a result, the roads are atrocious.
-Decades of Democratic leadership has driven down the city and state.
-The Indians will be the Cleveland Baseball Team next year. Still not over all the World Series letdowns.
-Young professionals have been in a mass exodus for a few generations.
-Has a great little Italy and AsiaTown, but the best food in town is Eastern European peasant dishes.
-Despite having the Rock Hall, Cleveland’s best musical act is either Bone Thugz N Harmony or The Michael Stanley Band.
-Lebron James left the Cavaliers, twice.
-Invasive zebra mussels did more to clean up Lake Erie than any EPA action.
-The bums used to be the jolly type, now they’re the mean, methy/crack type.
-High property taxes with rising crime.
-The burning river jokes will never stop.
-Haven’t mentioned the Browns yet, but every single thing above will be overlooked when the Browns make the playoffs.

All kidding aside, I think most non-Clevelanders don’t like the city because Cleveland people possess a truly unjustified loyalty and pride for a place that, at face value, is a shithole. To take it further we love a place that doesn’t love us back and many of us have fled. In that regard, us Cleveland ex-pats are just like Mexicans or Puerto Ricans.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Slymans is still awesome. In fact I was just bragging about their corned beef hash on here the other day.

Hot Sauce Williams however, is closed for good....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss Slyman’s deli and the Polish boy from Hot Sauce Williams.

Slymans is still awesome. In fact I was just bragging about their corned beef hash on here the other day.

Hot Sauce Williams however, is closed for good....

Leaving school to eat at Hot Sauce Williams and 10 cent Tuesday for wings at the Euclid tavern during the 90s were some of my favorite places. I still have to have a Polish boy at least once when I go back to visit my brothers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bob Feller
View Quote

The pitcher who put aside his baseball career and sgned up Dec. 7 to became a gun captain on USS Alabama:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
-The winters are atrocious.
-As a result, the roads are atrocious.
-Decades of Democratic leadership has driven down the city and state.
-The Indians will be the Cleveland Baseball Team next year. Still not over all the World Series letdowns.
-Young professionals have been in a mass exodus for a few generations.
-Has a great little Italy and AsiaTown, but the best food in town is Eastern European peasant dishes.
-Despite having the Rock Hall, Cleveland’s best musical act is either Bone Thugz N Harmony or The Michael Stanley Band.
-Lebron James left the Cavaliers, twice.
-Invasive zebra mussels did more to clean up Lake Erie than any EPA action.
-The bums used to be the jolly type, now they’re the mean, methy/crack type.
-High property taxes with rising crime.
-The burning river jokes will never stop.
-Haven’t mentioned the Browns yet, but every single thing above will be overlooked when the Browns make the playoffs.

All kidding aside, I think most non-Clevelanders don’t like the city because Cleveland people possess a truly unjustified loyalty and pride for a place that, at face value, is a shithole. To take it further we love a place that doesn’t love us back and many of us have fled. In that regard, us Cleveland ex-pats are just like Mexicans or Puerto Ricans.
View Quote

I think what makes Cleveland special is that everyone from NEO recognizes the shittiness and they've collectively decided to make a nice meal and watch what happens. "Will it crumble and burn? Will the people that actually live in Cleveland elect some competent people? Who knows, but have you tried the appetizer? Also, fuck you if you say something bad about Cleveland and you're not from here, only Clevelanders talk shit about Cleveland."
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I was born and raised in Cleveland....went to Cleveland public high school with that Amanda Berry girl who was kidnapped and held captive for like 10 years.  Moved south to NC when I was 20 years old and never looked back.  My entire family still lives up there, brother is a CPD officer....took my wife and kids up there to stay with my parents for Christmas and our car got broken into.....not much changed sine I left..
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It was Capt Penny in the '50s for the kids & Ghoulardi in the 60's when the kids became teenagers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I've lived in Northeast Ohio all my life.  Partying in the flats in the 90s was fun, but I mostly avoid doing anything in Cleveland any more.  City life doesn't appeal to me, which leads to one advantage of the Cleveland area...  you can live in the country, but still be within an hour of the airport, the Cleveland Clinic, good restaurants, etc.

And just carry a gun and live your life, ffs.  The crime isn't nearly as bad as the coastal shitholes of America, but if the criminals do bother you, you can actually carry a gun and do something about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#12]
The best part of Cleveland is the Cleveland Clinic , Case Western and Little Italy.
The rest is on par with Detroit , a crap hole.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Big chuck & little john used to watch em' on channel 8 with dad. Superhost was saturday morning on channel 43 out of akron.
Those certain ethnic guy skits were the best lmao!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

90's flats were best flats. East bank or West Bank?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I partied in the 90's flats

90's flats were best flats. East bank or West Bank?
It was pretty fun in the 80's too.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I vaguely remember Waverly Elementary School and a little store (Lawsons?) That I could grab chocolate milk from on the walk home from school.

7rs old, 10 blocks to school. Walked it alone or with a classmate every day. 1979.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone remember Uncle Vic?
View Quote
Yeah, that was a strange time.  I did go to his bar once.I

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Ten Cent Beer Night Was A Total Disaster
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#18]
What happened to Dorothy Fuldheim?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It was Capt Penny in the '50s for the kids & Ghoulardi in the 60's when the kids became teenagers.
View Quote
I meet the captain at an Indians game.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I vaguely remember Waverly Elementary School and a little store (Lawsons?) That I could grab chocolate milk from on the walk home from school.

7rs old, 10 blocks to school. Walked it alone or with a classmate every day. 1979.
View Quote
Lawsons was great in the 60's and early 70's, best chip dip anywhere

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

We all miss hot sauce Williams.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wow I was only old enough to walk around the flats in the 90s to young to drink and I seen some stuff then and heard stories. I'll have to look into the 70s-80s flats.
View Quote

In the 80’s if you were at a night Indians game, when the game finished, you went straight to the lot and got the fuck out.  Voinovich was just too squishy to honestly effect rapid enough change to take credit for revitalizing Cleveland that White gets a lot of credit for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Cleveland was on the up and up before the covids. Say what you want about LeBron, but he reinvigorated that city. Now, Michael Symon closed all but one of his restaurants. No one really goes downtown anymore. Violent crime has skyrocketed due to the police doing zero proactive policing. We had some pretty sweet music venues, which will probably all close for good. At least the owner of Barley House told the city to get bent and kept his place open.

Really just comes down to a bunch of old retards who run that place. Shame, it could be a really awesome city. This thread makes me want Presti's.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I grew up in Akron, but mom and dad spent enough time in Cleveland that we might as well lived there. As a kid, I wanted to listen to WMMS like the other kids at school, but mom and dad declared WMMS to be ignorant just like MTV. Instead the radio was stuck on WMJI. Never got to a Big Chuck and Little John taping, but I sat in my fair share of live broadcasts of the Lanigan and Webster Show (Jimmy Malone was only on Thursdays for Knuckleheads in the News).

I still wore all the Pittsburgh Steelers/Penguins/Pirates gear to school since mom and dad were from western PA, and were fans. As hated as the Steelers were, I saw my 5th grade teacher catch more flack for being a Broncos fan, especially after the Broncos beat them twice in a row in 87 and 88.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In the 80’s if you were at a night Indians game, when the game finished, you went straight to the lot and got the fuck out.  Voinovich was just too squishy to honestly effect rapid enough change to take credit for revitalizing Cleveland that White gets a lot of credit for.
View Quote

Cleveland could of been something but all those crooked politicians bled the city dry. I knew a few guys involved who are now felons and it was pretty massed up stuff bogus contracts and paying off inspectors. Not to mention all the home loans and people who couldn't afford them.

Land was cheap and lebron of all people really did pump some blood back into the entire city. Things really di seem different as far as stuff to do and being more like a modern city.

I think covid might of screwed all that up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cleveland certainly isn't a top ten place but it beat  the hell out of that shithole Detroit any day of the week.
View Quote

I think both cities are awesome in their own way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Died in 1989
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I lived walking distance from Cleveland until last year.  Moved due to a fire next door that was visible from space.

I grew up in Chicago.

I'd rather live in a dumpster in Cleveland than a mansion in Chicago.  The people in Cleveland are 1,000% better.

The average Chicagoan will let you steal his last $0.05 if he thinks you'll use it to hurt somebody who looks different from him.  This crosses all races and ethnicities.

There are racists in Cleveland, but they stand out.  It's the NON-racists who stand out in Chicago.

The Cleveland PD is incompetent.  The Chicago PD is utterly and irredeemably corrupt.  It's more of a third world militia than a police force.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Big Chuck and little John were a big thing as a kid. The city however is a shit hole. Wife’s mom lives just outside but I still call it Cleveland and I absolutely hate driving there. Not the worst part but get slightly off track and it’s not good. Another liberal paradise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I grew up in suburbs of Cleveland.

The Pros about Cleveland
Great ethnic areas in Cleveland. You can get great Polish, Italian, Greek, Ukrainian, Slavic foods in their own ethnic areas of Cleveland.
Its livable on reasonable salary. I live in NoVA now and a 70k a year salary will not get you a decent place to live in NoVA. I live way out in the country and make a good salary but it would be GREAT in Cleveland.
The property values are not way over valued.
People are more honest and down to earth. I have traveled all over the US and Canada for work and I can tell you places I will never want to live because of the locals, BOSTON, and just about anywhere in Massachusetts, New York, D.C,  Maryland, Seattle and L.A.

Cons
Shitty sports teams
The 100% gray cloud cover from Oct to May

I live in farm country of Virginia and I like the weather better and the locals friendly, but I am proud to be from Cleveland.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#37]
The grey skies are getting old
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
$5 weeknight games at the old stadium, and the Indians couldn't even muster a few thousand fans.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#39]
When I was little we used to go to Gallucci's when they were located on E-9 before they tore it down for Jacob's field.

Real world old Italian grocery store with barrels of pickles and olives, hanging cheese, fresh mozzarella and mortadella in the meat and cheese case, salami, cans of olive oil on the shelf.

The AWESOME smell when you walked into that store you felt like you just stepped into a shop in Palermo Sicily.  

The new place on E55 is great too and you can get an incredible Italian sub there, but the old place was like stepping back in time like in the 1920's in New York when they were just getting off the boat from the old country and selling meats and cheeses.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lawson’s French onion dip is the best dip.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dick Goddard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

She died at age 96.  She of course was a much loved journalist.  A real journalist that these SJW children should learn from.
View Quote

Come on it was a joke. I know what actually happened to her. Joke from grade school.

Dick Goddard (dick gotther)

ETA right above me!  Jumped too quick
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

She died at age 96.  She of course was a much loved journalist.  A real journalist that these SJW children should learn from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I somehow think if she would have lived she would have been cancelled because of her support of the police, her throwing Jerry Ruben off her show for calling the cops pigs would have gotten her cancelled.

Or she would have joined in and been pushing the whole SJW bullshit. She was a huge liberal, although she was an independent thinker she was more of an Classical Liberal, but I think she would have evolved into a leftwing nutbag given time and enough indoctrination.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@MARINE_ONE
Mmmmmm......It's a submarine
It's the USS Cod.
https://i.postimg.cc/v8N1Vjhp/B74-C2-FBE-852-B-478-B-A2-A6-F1-B6803-D443-A.jpg
View Quote

He is talking about the Mather.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is Slymans still there? I last ate there around 1995 ish.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Before Lil John, it was Big Chuck and Hoolihan. They came to a Father/Son dinner that the school put on.
Later in life, I went to school with Lil John's son.
View Quote

And before all them was Ghoulardi.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember Lawson's.  They are all over Japan now.

Still have a Cleveland Crusaders hockey puck on my desk.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top