Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/23/2012 12:24:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 12:27:08 PM EST by glockluv]
Soooo this year we decided to clean out our storage room. At some point in our spoiled childhood my dad decided he'd box everything up and throw it in a large storage closet, I believe this was about 1997-1998.

Baseball cards, my grandmas antiques, spawn figures, hundreds of thousands of baseball cards, Star was figures, Star wars micro machines, pokemon cards you name it.

The most tragic thing I learned during this experience is that my little brother's pokemon cards are now worth several thousand dollars, as where my thousands of baseball cards from the 90's are worthless.

For me (I'm 28) this was kind of a cool experience to relive my childhood and see some of the random crap we've saved. I thought you might enjoy seeing some pics. Still have about 20 more boxes to go through

This is after we pulled everything out and just started to sort it out;

This is a room of some of the unopened items we're planning to sell (trust me none of this was meant as an investment and the vast majority of it is not worth the price tags on the toys

Here's a set of Monty Python dolls I got one year for X mas, loved the movie but had no idea what to do with them so they got boxed up. I have about 10 of these and they're actually selling on ebay for 100-200 $ for the set

I don't know if anyone remembers the Sega Nomad (plays actual Sega games) and the game gear but they're going on ebay.

Boxes and boxes of GI Joe machines all with random pieces scattered around, probably 100-200 actual guys (none in box) these are going to good will or the dump if they're not interested

Here's my favorite toy from my child hood. . . it's in horrible shape but it's a Hahn BB gun my grandma gave me as a hand me down. One of the few things I'm keeping for when I have a kid someday.

This is one of maybe 15 boxes filled with baseball cards. This one has about 8 books filled up with players A-Z, for example I had 35 Ken Griffey Jr cards in on. . . I took the rookies out and the rest will go to goodwill or the dump. I don't have time to go through tens of thousands of cards (even complete sets) as I know there is no market

Now here are the binders I'm DEF keeping. . . sets of early 60's cards

Here are some of the better ones from my old collection. They aren't graded but maybe 1-2K worth of cards. These will go in my safe at home.

Going to post all these on Ebay. . . Star wars figures and more star wars figures. . . I don't know why my pops thought these were good collectables. We won't even get what the price tags on them are but they're going to be sold as a lot. This is about half of them

Here's a 45 lb standard schnauzer sitting next to a box for reference

And finally some stuff I found of my Grandparents

Some Old Theatre glasses and an old phone. Not pictures I found a marble and brass scale that needs some work but probably worth some bucks.

Sorry for the crappy pics! Taken with my phone at low light. . . not picutred is the three crates of unopened spawn figures and about hundreds of model trains!

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:26:51 PM EST
Go through those Star Wars figures and see if there are any rare ones. Some of the harder to find ones can be worth a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:28:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By glockluv:
Soooo this year we decided to clean out our storage room. At some point in our spoiled childhood my dad decided he'd box everything up and throw it in a large storage closet, I believe this was about 1997-1998.

Baseball cards, my grandmas antiques, spawn figures, hundreds of thousands of baseball cards, Star was figures, Star wars micro machines, pokemon cards you name it.

The most tragic thing I learned during this experience is that my little brother's pokemon cards are now worth several thousand dollars, as where my thousands of baseball cards from the 90's are worthless.

For me (I'm 28) this was kind of a cool experience to relive my childhood and see some of the random crap we've saved. I thought you might enjoy seeing some pics. Still have about 20 more boxes to go through

This is after we pulled everything out and just started to sort it out;

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-22_13-39-38_516.jpg

This is a room of some of the unopened items we're planning to sell (trust me none of this was meant as an investment and the vast majority of it is not worth the price tags on the toys

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-55-53_694.jpg

Here's a set of Monty Python dolls I got one year for X mas, loved the movie but had no idea what to do with them so they got boxed up. I have about 10 of these and they're actually selling on ebay for 100-200 $ for the set

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-57-04_503.jpg

I don't know if anyone remembers the Sega Nomad (plays actual Sega games) and the game gear but they're going on ebay.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-57-30_610.jpg

Boxes and boxes of GI Joe machines all with random pieces scattered around, probably 100-200 actual guys (none in box) these are going to good will or the dump if they're not interested

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-39-38_993.jpg

Here's my favorite toy from my child hood. . . it's in horrible shape but it's a Hahn BB gun my grandma gave me as a hand me down. One of the few things I'm keeping for when I have a kid someday.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_11-01-04_983.jpg

This is one of maybe 15 boxes filled with baseball cards. This one has about 8 books filled up with players A-Z, for example I had 35 Ken Griffey Jr cards in on. . . I took the rookies out and the rest will go to goodwill or the dump. I don't have time to go through tens of thousands of cards (even complete sets) as I know there is no market

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-39-55_470.jpg

Now here are the binders I'm DEF keeping. . . sets of early 60's cards

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_11-14-51_581.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_11-14-30_884.jpg

Here are some of the better ones from my old collection. They aren't graded but maybe 1-2K worth of cards. These will go in my safe at home.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_11-10-16_903.jpg

Going to post all these on Ebay. . . Star wars figures and more star wars figures. . . I don't know why my pops thought these were good collectables. We won't even get what the price tags on them are but they're going to be sold as a lot. This is about half of them

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-41-07_364.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-40-38_917.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-40-23_275.jpg

Here's a 45 lb standard schnauzer sitting next to a box for reference

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_12-05-52_49.jpg

And finally some stuff I found of my Grandparents

Some Old Theatre glasses and an old phone. Not pictures I found a marble and brass scale that needs some work but probably worth some bucks.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_11-17-30_186.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_11-44-10_493.jpg

You are going to be pissed on how much your cards are worth...I tried to sell a bunch of early 60's/70's football and base ball card...they are not worth shit anymore
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:28:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:29:39 PM EST

That is depressing. . . not really planning to sell anyways as they've already sat for so many years. . . .I assumed a set of 61 Topps is worth something
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:30:59 PM EST
I would keep the baseball cards. Most will get trashed over times because there worthless. At the least in 20-40 years you will me able to take a vacation of a lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:32:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By RolandBozz:
Go through those Star Wars figures and see if there are any rare ones. Some of the harder to find ones can be worth a pretty penny.

This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:33:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
I would keep the baseball cards. Most will get trashed over times because there worthless. At the least in 20-40 years you will me able to take a vacation of a lifetime.

Even the 80-90s?

I just assumed they printed them in such mass there's no point.

I know this isn't well known on a gunforum (why would it) but my little brother has 3 of this stupid pokemon card (not plural just one card) and EACH are SELLING for 500$+ a pop. It was hard to sleep last night lol
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:36:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By M4Michael:

This.

I think we're going to categorize them and sell them all in a big lot. If we just don't have the time to go through them individually and price them.

We'll let Ebay market value decide what they're worth and the winner can go through them.

FYI somewhere we have (what I assume are worthless) Beanie Babies and Barbies by the boat load.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:46:52 PM EST

any of the holo backed, red backed or bounty hunters, as well as death star operators from the power of the force line of figures should fetch decent change. If you have any boba fetts, check the dots on the back of his hands, there were several variants that each have a different value. I still regret the day I sold my holo backed ponda baba, but rent had to be paid. I could of easily filled half that room with the power of the force line.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:50:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By jimfire85:

any of the holo backed, red backed or bounty hunters, as well as death star operators from the power of the force line of figures should fetch decent change. If you have any boba fetts, check the dots on the back of his hands, there were several variants that each have a different value. I still regret the day I sold my holo backed ponda baba, but rent had to be paid. I could of easily filled half that room with the power of the force line.

Wow thanks for the pointers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:54:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By jimfire85:

Wow thanks for the pointers.

no prob, save the commons and sell it as a lot, a beginner collector will happily buy them. there are a couple sources online for a price guide on rares and variants out there. A google search of "star war power of the force variants" should yield plenty of results. It easily can become "worth" your time to do some quick research. When I dumped off my entire collection I netted close to 4k or so. my investment was not nearly anything close to that for what I paid when I was 16.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:54:57 PM EST
A coworker makes a killing selling old baseball cards on Craigslist. Sometimes he gets twice the book value.

Instead of throwing things away, list them on Craigslist for a few bucks. Money for nothing!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:57:29 PM EST
Think of how much money your pops spent on all that shit
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:58:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By beardog30:

You are going to be pissed on how much your cards are worth...I tried to sell a bunch of early 60's/70's football and base ball card...they are not worth shit anymore

Agreed. The market for them kinda fell.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:59:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By texassooner:
Think of how much money your pops spent on all that shit

lol, the price tags are still on there.

Those crazy 90's am I right?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:01:03 PM EST
The phone looks pretty restorable and that type is not without value, especially fixed up. May just need new cords and the bezel on the dial. Check out Ebay for comparables. Both pre-1945 phones I have I hooked them up to a phone line and got dial tone, and they work fine, although on one I had to move a wire to a different screw, because it was set for party line . . . I am certain neither had been used in the last 40 or so years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:01:52 PM EST
Dude....... You have a LOT of self control!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:03:57 PM EST

The figures look like "The Power of The Force" line and they aren't worth much at all - be lucky to get what you paid for them. The micro machines SW line are sought after though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:05:37 PM EST
Going through boxes of Heman and Battlebeasts right now.

I think these (not in boxes) are worth something
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:07:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By krecon1:

The figures look like "The Power of The Force" line and they aren't worth much at all - be lucky to get what you paid for them. The micro machines SW line are sought after though.

We have the green back ones and the black back ones. . . quick search on ebay for completed items didn't yield much.

We not only have the figures but the bigger boxes with creatures and machines (also in box)

Again we'll lay them out and see what value Ebay places on them when we start from a cent
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:09:17 PM EST

I had a bunch of those smaller ones.

I think I threw the boxes away about three seconds after opening the package.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:10:14 PM EST
Given the amount you have, I see the possibility of netting some new "toys" if you just list the stuff for a gotta-have price.

Its a shame about baseball cards. Hopefully that tip about Craigslist is good.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:11:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By AJE:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/2012-11-23_10-40-23_275.jpg

I had a bunch of those smaller ones.

I think I threw the boxes away about three seconds after opening the package.

I have a crate of these opened. These are just the ones in boxes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:12:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By USMS2011:
Given the amount you have, I see the possibility of netting some new "toys" if you just list the stuff for a gotta-have price.

Its a shame about baseball cards. Hopefully that tip about Craigslist is good.

Good luck!

I have my eye on a Vepr 12

If I net over 500$ on the toys I'll be looking for a little reward
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:28:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:

Even the 80-90s?

I just assumed they printed them in such mass there's no point.

I know this isn't well known on a gunforum (why would it) but my little brother has 3 of this stupid pokemon card (not plural just one card) and EACH are SELLING for 500$+ a pop. It was hard to sleep last night lol

Pokemon and magic the gathering bring big money...while sports cards are worth almost nothing go figure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:32:19 PM EST
How much for the Sega Game gear I might be interested PM me
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:36:33 PM EST
They have tv shows about people like you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:38:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By Colonel_Angus:
They have tv shows about people like you.

I'm exhausted, just went through 2 boxes of batman figures, 2 boxes of heman, marvel figures, battle beasts, etc.

I'm fighting the urge not to just take this all to the dump and lay back and booze the rest of the night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:49:41 PM EST
If you'd like your GI Joe figures to go to a good home I'd happily pay for the shipping for all your loose figures.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:05:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 3:30:21 PM EST by glockluv]
Originally Posted By Dead-As-Dillinger:
If you'd like your GI Joe figures to go to a good home I'd happily pay for the shipping for all your loose figures.

I'm most likely taking the machines to the dump (just because they'd be a pain to ship and are missing pieces) the individual Joes (like most the lots) will be going to go on a no reserve .99 cent auction on ebay.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:15:27 PM EST
Quite a few things you've got there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:42:16 PM EST
Your Christmas's must of been a hell of a event.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:56:15 PM EST
Those Monty Python figures are neat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:15:29 PM EST
Picks of GI. JOES? My brother collects them, and his burfday is comming up. Very interested.
Top Top