Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 5:09:38 PM EDT
Portland's downtown has become a shithole.  It's dirty, and you can't swing a dead bum without hitting another one.  My life would be great here if I were a homeless crackhead, but I lack the drive for that carreer.  Which Portland-size or smaller city out there is still a nice place to live?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No city is worthy of my residence or tax dollars - so I refuse to live in one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Salt Lake was clean...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Salt Lake was clean...

Operative word . . . was.  There are parks downtown that are a mass of worthless humanity.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Any tree-hugging city in Commiefornia...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Rogersville, TN
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The only choice is to leave the city.  Otherwise, learn to step over them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rogersville, TN

Go away Tennessee is full
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Coronado, California.  Zero homeless.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Do what I do.

Work in the inner, live on the outskirts.

There is no bums where I live and I live in one of the largest cities in Oregon, which is Gresham.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Singapore?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
There's very few bums and homeless here:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Billings!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I work in PDX as well, it sux.   I wouldnt live in portland if you gave me a house for free, it's bad enough I have to drive there.     Hell all cities suck.   I'm moving to Fossil.    
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Portland's downtown has become a shithole.  It's dirty, and you can't swing a dead bum without hitting another one.  My life would be great here if I were a homeless crackhead, but I lack the drive for that carreer.  Which Portland-size or smaller city out there is still a nice place to live?  

Sadly, I have to agree.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Boise and the Treasure Valley don't have a homeless problem.  What I like about Boise is the police shoot to kill.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Salt Lake was clean...

Operative word . . . was.  There are parks downtown that are a mass of worthless humanity.

Actually, it seems that they only congregate in one park - Pioneer Park (size of acity block). You will see them over by the shelter/clinic that is directly south of the Gateway development. However, they do keep to themselves for the most part. Hell, they hold a huge farmers market in Pioneer Park on the weekends, w/ hundreds of vendors and you really don't see to many of them.

Downtown Portland is fuggin covered in stinky hippies and bums thou. DC is weird, bums are here and there - you can always find a few, but they rarely seem to congregate in large numbers during the day time (You might find a dozen at Freedom Plaza off of Penn. Ave., but that is about it. I know that they tend to congregate when the sun goes down. I imagine that anywhere it is really cold during the winter would be a good bum repelant...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you consider filthy, worthless illegal aliens as bums...I do.

If so, Phoenix sure isn't the place for you. It's infested with illegals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Baker City, Oregon
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chicago hell no. When's the last time you were even in California? I blew Illinois the shithole of  the planet back in '81 and have been back once ... just to remember what freezing by balls off will avoiding the facist police was like. Got that FOID card handy? If you live in Chicago let's see your handgun collection.

Honestly don't you even know better???

Portland is half a million folk. With a crime rate about double the national average ... shouldn't be too hard to do better then that.

Closest in size would be - Charlotte, Fort Worth, Nashville, Denver, Oklahoma City, Tucson and New Orleans. I would skip New Orleans at this point. Denver was nice but the bums downtown were very aggressive compared to the ones in Chicago. I'd look at Fort Worth, Nashville-Davidson, and Tuscon but lots depends if you're working for a living or just living off the trust fund.

Fort Worth is about 50% higher than the national crime rate, no data for Nashville, and Tuscon has a higher crime rate than Portland but like Fort Worth the murder rate is about half of Portland.

I was in Anaheim in 1992, thank you very much.

SigSaurP228 said that TN is full
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coronado, California.  Zero homeless.

Loads of Admirals though. Plus one of my favorite restaurants: Peohe's
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
The cleanest city I have ever been to was Monte Carlo. There wasnt a single piece of trash on the ground, and no homeless. Hell I was the closest thing to a bum with my old running shoes on.  A little pricey though. A 1000 sq ft. condo was a minimum of 1.2 million US dollars.

Charlotte would be my choice in the US.
James
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Actually the bums in San Diego are pretty mellow as were the ones downtown San Francisco ... even I don't get near the ones in Los Angeles as that's the big time with canibal and the most insane of the insane as likely to wet their pants as they are to bite your fingers off. Can't speak to the Sacremento bums except the elected ones in the suits and ties.

The best bums I ever met were the ones in Tokoyo - totally crime free except by exception. Singapore is a very clean city too.

I guess the canings help keep the bums off the streets in signapore.

Have you been back to SF since they supposedly became bum central?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you sure you want a BUM FREE city??!!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Atlanta.... no problems there
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

link removed...No BOTD

IBTL, this is the second time JEEZ
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

----------link removed--------]

IBTL
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Billings!!!!

NO!!!!!

YOU'RE NOT WELCOME!@!@!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There's very few bums and homeless here:

junior.apk.net/~scotts/ay-map.gif

You are on the right track.

Im from SubZero Ohio, very few homelsss period. Came to Temperate, WA, crawling out the woodwork.

I would think anywhere sub zero for any period of time would do the trick, like with mosquitos.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]
There aren't any homeless bums here, but more than a few whackos that make up for that absence.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Singapore?

Works for me.

Try some of the, umm, I think they're calling them "exurbs" now.  Bellevue, WA is pretty nice, as of course are Kirkland and Redmond.  All of the bums hang out in downtown Seattle, leaving these nearby cities reasonably clean and bum-free.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Billings!!!!

Dude, have you been around 1st Ave South or the railroad tracks lately?  Or in the Empire or Rainbow bars?  Heck - the city is getting ready to pony up 150-200k in a grant to supplement a private developer who wants to buy the Empire Bar property and tear it down for a parking lot.  They figure that would be a good investment because of all the fire, police, and ambulance expenditures that result from it's existence as a haven for the bums, meth heads, etc...  I love Billings, but we're hardly bum free.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Actually the bums in San Diego are pretty mellow as were the ones downtown San Francisco ...

San Fran passed a law maybe 10 years ago outlawing aggressive panhandling and then kicked a load of bums out of The Wharf and Pier 39. Before that, the bums were very "in your face" and aggressive.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Definatly nowhere in South Florida.

THat place is a magnet for loosers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Seattle

The most bum infested shithole I've ever visited.    I've only been there once and it was worse than I could have ever imagined.    
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Seattle

The most bum infested shithole I've ever visited.    I've only been there once and it was worse than I could have ever imagined.    

Try San Fransisco.  I was on a job for four months there, and, they
were paying homless to live in the city.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Singapore?

That was my first thought.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#39]
As a rule of thumb: the more liberal a city is, the more bums it has.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Fairbanks Alaska, or some place equally cold?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Do you consider filthy, worthless illegal aliens as bums...I do.

If so, Phoenix sure isn't the place for you. It's infested with illegals.

+1
and its getting worse and worse every day...we need a fucking wall or something
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Fairbanks Alaska, or some place equally cold?

Kharn

+1; I'm thinking Maine or North Dakota are both fairly bum-free.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm thinking New Orleans.

It went from bum central to nada overnite.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Pyongyang
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Brookings, South Dakota.

The college located there holds a party once a year for the bums and then throws them all out.  It's the ultimate in Bum-control!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't come to Atlanta. It is the only city I know that has a damn statue dedicated to bums. The city council just inacted a no pan handling ordinace but there was such an uproar of racisim about it that they excluded a triangle sized portion of the city from the ordinance. Of course part of the city that is excluded is the part where I have to go to school at. Lovely! Worst run city on the planet. Want to see what happens to a city that is run by people who scream racisim every five seconds and are only elected because they new somebody or worked in the civil rights movement then come to Atlanta! You can get elected and have no idea what you are supposed to do once you get elected.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Maui is still OK but some of the beaches has homeless people. A few of them I would'nt call "Bums", they have full time jobs but cant aford homes
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
No city is worthy of my residence or tax dollars - so I refuse to live in one.

Probably the most correct answer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Honolulu has no homeless at all, none on Oahu.  Our traffic problem is non-existent and everybody is always safe, happy, and carefree!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Humansville, Missouri:  The crown jewel of Polk county!
I go down there at least once a month to buy my flour, sugar and other staples.

since I'm from the backwoods, anything within a "city limit" is a city
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top