Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 9:08:29 AM EDT
I brought this up in a reply to another thread earlier today, and decided it deserved it's own thread, in case anyone out there is not aware of this particular entertainment opportunity in Las Vegas.

I took these photos (with staff permission) at "The Gun Store" on East Tropicana, which is a few miles east of the MGM Grand, a few minutes from the Strip by car (and the bus runs that way too).

All of this Class 3 goodness is available for rental.  Prices are reasonable.  Supervision is TIGHT with the range officer (armed) standing right next to you, but what do you expect when someone is renting you a machine gun and they don't even know you?

This was the first (and only) chance I ever got to fire a Thompson SMG.

I was amazed at the accuracy and controllability of that weapon.  Early print media advertising for the Thompson from the 1920s used to say that "any man on your force who can fire a pistol can fire a Thompson with greater accuracy" - that is actually TRUE, folks.  The only issue, of course, is muzzle rise, which is why we used short, controlled bursts.

I was also amazed that the weapon does not "kick" at all.  For some reason I was expecting it to kick like the proverbial mule, but the Thompson has such a heavy, overbuilt receiver, and is such a sturdy and robust weapon all around, that the mass of the weapon absorbs nearly all of the felt recoil - it is very pleasant to shoot one.

I didn't rent any of the other weapons because I was a little pressed for time and I mainly just wanted to fulfill my lifelong desire to fire a Thompson in full auto, but all these other weapons (see picture) are also available for rental or at least used to be.  The one on the top left in the "group photo" is a Danish Madsen, in case you aren't familiar with one.

Remember..."That's the way we like to roll in Las Vegas!"

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What did it cost you? If you don't mind me asking of course...

I've never been to Vegas, and this might be a good reason to finally go.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What did it cost you? If you don't mind me asking of course...

I've never been to Vegas, and this might be a good reason to finally go.

The hell of it is, I don't remember.  This was about three years ago now.  But it wasn't terribly expensive.  If I recall correctly they charged you by the amount of ammo you wanted to shoot.

Now I am wondering if maybe the price has skyrocketed due to the ammo shortage .

They have a website on the Internet.  You can Google them up and call them.

"The Gun Store" - "Las Vegas" keywords.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This was about three years ago now...

Ahhh...back when a few mag dumps with a happy switch engaged was affordable.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, the Gun Store used to sponsor the Submachine Gun Matches during the old Soldier of Fortune Conventions. I participated in a number of matches and still have the shirts somewhere. The Conventions were always a lot of fun. Wish they still held them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks stupidly expensive, check out their VIP rentals, for the same price I could buy a new glock and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks stupidly expensive, check out their VIP rentals, for the same price I could buy a new glock and ammo.

they just never learn
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Owning is better than renting...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
did they have any M-60's?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
it was fun i shot a m249 and a mp5 while i was down there. i think it cost me 112$ for 100 rounds.

expensive yes, but fun. not too often i get to shoot those types of guns.

i talked to one of the range guys and he said they get so many people in there its insane. i cant remember how many rounds they go through a month but it was hella crazy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
did they have any M-60's?

They may still have the SAW. I haven't been there in a long time. Ever since I was told I HAD to buy THEIR frangible ammo at $18/50(45 ACP more than 3 years ago) to shoot I found some where else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
This place isnt too bad price wise.

The mags are $10 for SMG's and $15 for rifles.

They have a SAW, M60, minigun, and a MK19

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/mga/index.php
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure The Gun Store makes bank with the tourist. They are also heavily advertised all over the city. There are a few places that rent out Class III firearms but the beat out anyone in advertising.

The few times I did go there a while ago it was insane as already mentioned. The place is pretty small considering the amount of people that go there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot their MP44, a few years back, I think $50 + ammo... Was a worn out, clap trap POS.. But I can say I did it..
Wish I had shot the MP5 instead.  That was the best part of that lame ass wedding, 5 years later and they are divorced.

Vegas is a shit hole to be avoided...Better to go shoot this stuff than gamble any day....Win some memories!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top