Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:34:00 AM EDT
I'll be headed over to Tombstone tonight to have a few brews w/ my girlfriend and her parents who are in the "Vigalantes" re-enactment group.......and the best part...my last name is CLANTON....i like the look on their faces everytime i pull out an ID or a credit card
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
can you take pics? unfortunately, i'll probably never get to tombstone...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
sure Hardcorps, i'll snap some shots for ya.  and to anwser you in more detail from the other thread....

it is believed among the family that we ARE in fact related, in fact, the concensus is that anyone w/ the last name of Clanton in the US are directly related.  the name Clanton origionated the best we can tell around the year 970ad near present day Cork, Ireland, but from there it becomes obscure......it tends to become more widely seen in England.  My ancestors reached American shores around the year 1628....and it is believe that there was only one family that ever made it over, but they grew fast once reaching America.  they first settled around Jamestown area, then moved west to Arkansas/MO/Alabama...then on to Texas, then Arizona....

as i stated, none of this is concrete, its really hard to track down my last name for some reason, i think its cause it WAS such a small group....but.......anyway.  there ya go.  

yes, it is believed we are related.

ETA.....didnt mean to say Clanton was more widely seen in England....but it becomes hard to tell whether or not its more common in England or Ireland in this time period, but we DO know the boat my ancestors were on left from England.....were they Irish?  where they English??  we're not completely sure
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

that's too  bad,  it's one of the cooler "touristy" places I've been.   We went to Tucson for a bowl game several years back and I spent a lot of free time around Tombstone.  It's just got this cool un-natural feeling there.  

We went to the birdcage museum,  that is one cool, creepy place.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's too  bad,  it's one of the cooler "touristy" places I've been.   We went to Tucson for a bowl game several years back and I spent a lot of free time around Tombstone.  It's just got this cool un-natural feeling there.  

We went to the birdcage museum,  that is one cool, creepy place.

it really does have that exact feeling...hard to put your finger on...but you feel it when youre there.  i like goin from bar to bar.....and looking around......there are still bullet holes in many of the ceilings in many of the bars, LOL.  pretty neat.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
hahaha that is pretty neat!

very cool to be able to trace your lineage back to one of the most "revered" moments in our history! i bet you saw the movie "tombstone" in a whole lot different light than most of us did!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Just keep an eye open...we got a member named Wyatt Earp here who might show up and take you out.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#7]
hardcorps......i guess a little.....ive done my research on it, and the movie really glorified the Earps....and they were not any better than the Clantons....the Earps were pimps and the Clantons were cattle thieves.....lesser of two evils?  the movie was not historically accurate at all...but it was still a great movie.  Val Kilmer as Doc...i think he shoulda won something for that role.  

Rik.....ive seen him around....."you tell him if he wants a fight...hes got one coming!!"
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Hardcorps.....

heres a couple of pics from the last time we went to Tombstone.  I'll try and get some of the shows and stuff this weekend as well...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]
damn styk all the boys here in your old shop appluad that back shot of your female friend there!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
damn styk all the boys here in your old shop appluad that back shot of your female friend there!

LOL....glad i could help out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
by the way how goes it out there in the land of sand?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
by the way how goes it out there in the land of sand?

hell....actually its mountains, and its monsoon season, so its freakin wet!  yeah..i know..Arizona, monsoon....but i'm not shittin ya, we have a monsoon season, LOL.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

howdy neighbor!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'll wager that you will be within six feet one day.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been there.  Wasn't really much to see.

Now Lead, hehe.  Gambling!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
There are some Clantons who are really closely related to the Tombstone Clantons and they tend to get real annoyed about the commentary occasionally.

If the Earps hadn't had better publicity both before and after, we might not have ever heard of the OK Corral fight.  The "Cowboys" would have faded into history along with most of the rest of the wild west.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top