Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:11:29 PM EDT
City to offer ID for illegal aliens
Andy Bromage
Register Staff
10/04/2005
www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15323314&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=517515&rfi=6
NEW HAVEN — Hundreds of undocumented Latino immigrants living in New Haven will be offered city-issued ID cards under a new program announced Monday.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr. wants to give illegal immigrants a legitimate form of ID so they can open bank accounts, prove their identity to police and access social services.

"Let’s be real about why this is happening first of all," said the mayor, who is also a gubernatorial candidate, during a bilingual press conference in City Hall. "The failure of the federal government to recognize and embrace thousands and thousands of hard-working residents, is subjecting those people and their families to abuse and exploitation," he said.

New Haven is home to some 25,000 Latinos, almost half of which are undocumented immigrants from Central and South America.

"All of these people are hard-working, decent members of our society on which we depend everyday," DeStefano said. "We can do better by them and we have to make up some of it as we go along."

The news of the ID program incensed the leader of a Connecticut anti-immigrant group.

"Does anybody in New Haven understand that they are breaking the immigration law?" said Elise Marciano, Danbury chapter president of the Connecticut Citizens for Immigration Control.

"You are not supposed to aid and abet illegal aliens," Marciano added. "They have no documents. They could give you any name. They could go and get 15 different ID cards with different names. How would you know?"

Immigrant-advocates say the population badly needs a form of ID but fear federal immigration officials could easily use the information to round up illegals living here peacefully.

"That was a concern, so we consulted the Yale Law School on the legality of doing this," said Kica Matos, executive director of JUNTA for Progressive Action, which hatched the program. "These are uncharted waters."

The new program, dubbed Hablamos Espanol, literally, We Speak Spanish, is a four-pronged approach aimed at making City Hall more user-friendly to Spanish speakers.

The ID cards is one aspect, and another is urging local banks to allow immigrants to open accounts without required Social Security numbers.

Without accounts, immigrants are often forced to carry huge sums of cash and can become victims of robbery, said Police Chief Francisco Ortiz Jr. Without IDs, they are remiss to report the crime to police, he said.

"A lot of folks can’t get a legitimate form of ID," Ortiz said. "They need some credentials and we can help them. That goes a long way for the city."

The IDs would resemble a driver’s license, with a photo, name, address, date of birth, height, weight and eye color, Ortiz said. Immigrants who could prove they live here — by showing a utility bill or mail sent to them — would be eligible for the card, he said.

Matos acknowledged the card may have little practical value if the community does not recognize it.

"Certainly, there is no obligation by anyone to accept the municipal ID, but I hope the idea will have some teeth in it," she said.

DeStefano has dismissed calls by anti-immigrant groups to crack down on illegals living in New Haven, and on Monday, Ortiz reiterated the administration’s position.

"We are going to lead the discussion and policy-making on how police will enforce immigration, I promise you that," Ortiz said.

Hablamos Espanol also provides new Spanish versions of city documents previously in English only, including marriage, birth and death certificates.

Latino politicians reached later Monday applauded the new bilingual forms, but said far more needs to be done, including hiring more bilingual city workers.

"I commend the mayor on finally realizing this is a legitimate issue and needs to be addressed, but this is only a first step," said Board of Aldermen President Jorge Perez, D-5, who represents a neighborhood in the Hill.

State Rep. Juan Candelaria, D-New Haven, agreed with Perez.

"Hopefully, we’ll be able to not only translate documents but have people to help the Hispanic community in explaining the documents," Candelaria said. "But, it happened now. I have to commend the mayor on that."

Few city departments have bilingual workers, meaning the few Spanish-speaking staffers are called on to translate for constituents at a moment’s notice.

"It would certainly be a goal to have bilingual capacity for every department, and we certainly don’t have that now," said Human Resources Director Tina Burgette. "We have offered Spanish language classes to city employees."
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:28:29 PM EDT
They can save a lot of tedious waiting if they just burn the city down now. Lawlessness as official municipal policy does not bode well for the future of New Haven.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:29:57 PM EDT
Fuck it. I need to get a Matricula Consular ID. It's as close to having both diplomatic immunity and Congress' version of retirement and healthcare as you can get.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 11:32:56 PM EDT by 22bad]

"All of these people are hard-working, decent members of our society
on which we depend everyday," DeStefano said

Soooooo...........they don't have any illegals in jail or on welfare in his city?

I wonder if he just wants to be the next US attorney general
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:02:03 AM EDT

"All of these people are hard-working, decent members of our society on which we depend everyday," DeStefano said

They are felons.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 1:13:16 AM EDT by ATNT]
I hope it is a trap to catch undocumented Americans.
Unfortunately I think that it is what the article makes it out to be.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:46:36 AM EDT
Rat bastard politicians and paper-pushing wankers make me wait month after month for a pistol permit (Permit required to purchase in CT) but illegals get legitimized as citizens, effectively?

200 years ago this guy would be hanged before dusk.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:52:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 1:55:17 AM EDT by 22bad]

The ID cards is one aspect, and another is urging local banks to
allow immigrants to open accounts without required Social Security numbers.

WTF has this country come to?
Any of you Citizens tried to open up an account WITH a valid SS# lately? It is a PITA
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:59:48 AM EDT
New Haven, what a wonderfull place. But the truth be known most of the large cities in CT have issues with illegal aliens. They have even established places where day laborers can go to so people can hire them. New haven has other problems like violent crime. There isn't a day that goes by that someone was shot or shot at, mugged. NH Police just shot a guy a few days ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:15:26 AM EDT
The ID cards is one aspect, and another is urging local banks to allow immigrants to open accounts without required Social Security numbers.

Aren't there banking regulations (law) that require banks to require this? So, why should I, a legal citizen have to provide my SS number, if an illegal alien does not have to?

Will the ID they issue have big red letters across the top "Illegal Alien"?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:33:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:

Any of you Citizens tried to open up an account WITH a valid SS# lately? It is a PITA

Agreed. I also think that certain provisions of the new rules violate the Uniform Commerical Code, but I am not certain of that.

I have said it before - having a Matricula Consular card is the closest you can get to having diplomatic immunity nowadays. It seems to work as a free healthcare debit card as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:50:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

Originally Posted By 22bad:

Agreed. I also think that certain provisions of the new rules violate the Uniform Commerical Code, but I am not certain of that.

I have said it before - having a Matricula Consular card is the closest you can get to having diplomatic immunity nowadays. It seems to work as a free healthcare debit card as well.

Yup, they are breaking the law........the banks are breaking the law..........WITH the illegals

U.S. banks knowingly fund mortgages to illegals
May 27, 2005
WorldNetDaily.com
www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44468
"The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation is encouraging banks to sign up illegal aliens in the banking system, calling the growth of the market 'a compelling incentive' for U.S. banks to enter this largely untapped market ...

"But there are clear laws on the books for the integrity of the immigration system. Under the U.S. Criminal Code, it is a crime punishable by 10 years in jail for aiding and abetting someone in this country illegally for commercial gain. And the Bank Secrecy Act of 1972 makes it clear banks must know their customer, and any illegal activity must be reported to the government."

– Lou Dobbs Show, March 21, 2005

The FDIC, another so-called "independent" government operation like the privately owned Federal Reserve, is knowingly and vigorously encouraging their organization and its employees to violate several federal laws. For the FDIC to encourage lawlessness because of what they call "the growth of the market" being a compelling incentive for "U.S. banks to enter this largely untapped market," has got to be the most insane psychobabble I have ever heard in my life. These criminals (illegal aliens) who break the law to enter this country have no rights and are subject to immediate deportation, not bank loans.

In a Sept. 20, 2004, column by Keith Benman in the NW Indiana Times, Benman wrote:

TCF Bank is the first bank to open the door to home loans for undocumented immigrants in Northwest Indiana; Fifth Third Bank plans to follow suit this month. TCF and Fifth Third will be among the largest banks in the United States to offer the new loans. They join about 15 other banks in the Midwest to do so.

"A year ago, this opportunity just didn't exist. Fifth Third already has a waiting list for the loans," according to Craig Pratt, a Fifth Third senior vice president based in Merrillville. TCF, which markets them under the name "My American Home," has closed on more than 10 since starting to offer them in late July, according to TCF's Creel. "We know the potential of the market could be one-half million individuals in Illinois and Northwest Indiana," Fifth Third's Boscan said. "We estimate this is a segment of the market that will provide the kind of growth we are looking for in our consumer-lending division."

The final kicker in Benman's piece: "In the past, banks and mortgage lenders have required loan applicants to provide Social Security numbers when applying for mortgages ... TCF Bank does not require Social Security numbers for its 'My American Home' loans, and Fifth Third will not require them for its new product."

Illegal aliens are criminals, not "undocumented workers." Yet, these criminals can obtain bank accounts and home loans without a Social Security number. Just try to do that as an American citizen at your bank and you'll be shown the door.

Does anyone wonder why this invasion has succeeded so well? You've got a president who condones illegals smuggling themselves into our country and wants to give them a free pass. Instead of taking a hard line against this invasion decades ago, Congress continues to waste their time on more unconstitutional legislation, e.g., steroid use by professional ball players and the gang problem within the sovereign states of the union. If either of these issues become federal law, they will not withstand a constitutional challenge (see Lopez v. U.S. and Marbury v. Madison). Once again, Congress is clearly overstepping their legislative authority.

Where is the Department of Justice while these banks are knowingly soliciting and doing business with illegals in violation of federal law? Think Attorney General Gonzales will do anything? Forget it. Gonzales and Bush go back a long way. While chief counsel to the Texas governor, Gonzales pulled a behind-the-scenes, good-old-boys deal that resulted in getting Bush excused from jury duty in 1996. This kept Bush from having to disclose he had been arrested and convicted for drunk driving in Maine back in 1976.

Alberto Gonzales served on the board of directors of one of La Raza's affiliates, the Association for the Advancement of Mexican Americans in Houston. LaRaza is a militant organization that openly advocates overthrowing our government and "reclaiming" the four border states for Mexico. They should have been indicted for sedition a decade ago, but the Department of Justice has continued to turn a blind eye.

No one is above the law. Congress should immediately demand the Department of Justice uphold the law and begin prosecuting all management level individuals in the FDIC, bank CEOs, vice presidents and managers for violation of federal immigration law and the Bank Secrecy Act of 1972. And, no fines. Banks have lots of money. It's time these people who knowingly break federal laws jail time just like anyone else. Congress should also move immediately to get the lists of all illegals who have opened bank accounts or loans with these banks, turn them over to the government and begin deporting these criminals.

Will that happen? No. In case Americans haven't noticed, the federal government and many of its agencies, including Congress, have become nothing more than lawbreakers, fostering lawlessness throughout this land. Where is your outrage America?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:52:54 PM EDT
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:02:19 PM EDT
Oh.

My.

God.

WTF?!? A MAYOR of an American CITY proposing to give CLEARLY ILLEGAL CRIMINALS state approved ID so they can obtain services and benefits that ILLEGAL CRIMINALS have NO rights under law to obtain.

This fucking TRAITOR needs to be in jail NOW.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:06:45 PM EDT
Save room for a bunch of congressmen\police chiefs\mayors\governors across the country
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:17:45 PM EDT
Well.......he denies it.........sorta........they ARE trying to help the illegals every way they can

City denies immigrant ID policy

BY JAMES WARRICK-ALEXANDER
Contributing Reporter
October 5, 2005
www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=30141
A spokesman for New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr. denied reports published Monday in local and national newspapers that New Haven City Hall planned to issue identification cards to illegal immigrants.

Both the New Haven Register and Associated Press said DeStefano wanted to give illegal immigrants legitimate identification that would allow them to open bank accounts and gain access to social services, an idea prompted by alleged comments during a Monday press conference, New Haven Deputy Chief of Staff Robert Smuts '01 said.

"Today's New Haven Register story incorrectly announced that the city was issuing identification cards to undocumented immigrants residing in the city," a statement released by the Mayor's Office yesterday said. "The city is not issuing such cards nor is there a plan to do so."

Smuts said the ID card concept was mentioned during the Monday meeting.

"It's an idea like many, many other ideas that don't end up making it through to fruition," Smuts said. "We're looking at the ID card concept, but we're not planning on doing it. It's not close to being decided yet."

The question of legitimizing illegal New Haven immigrants first emerged in June following a resolution submitted by the New Haven Peace Commission, New Haven Peace Commission Chairman Alfred Marder said. The document, he said, urged the Board of Aldermen to "hold a public hearing to examine the status of immigrants in New Haven and ways the City of New Haven can ameliorate conditions creating such an atmosphere of fear."

Marder said many illegal immigrants in New Haven are unable to open bank accounts due to a lack of identification papers and tend to carry large amounts of cash on them, which could make them more tempting targets for robbers.

"Identification cards would therefore allow these people to carry less cash at any one time and would reduce crime at the same time," he said.

The Board of Aldermen is willing to address the status of immigrants, Ward 11 Alderman Robert Lee said. But some aldermen have expressed reservations regarding the proposed ID cards, saying that they may allow the government to discover the identities of card-holders.

"There are two sides to the issue," Lee said. "Some immigrants say they need them to open bank accounts and gain access to social services, but then someone might say that it's a way for the city and federal governments to keep track of them. The idea is to help these people [and] I believe the proposal can be improved on."

With the local aldermanic elections just a few weeks away, the question of the status of immigrants may well become a major campaign issue, said Ward 1 candidate Nick Shalek '05, who has already voiced his support of the measure.

"There is a large portion of the New Haven population that does not have identification papers but is hard-working and ought to be recognized," Shalek said. "I think therefore that ID cards are a step forward."

But current Ward 1 Alderwoman Rebecca Livengood '07 said there should be measures to facilitate illegal immigrants' attempts to acquire citizenship.

"We need to make it faster for people to get citizenship," Livengood said. "People are better served with citizenship and can pay taxes for their work. I think we need to examine [the proposal] more and make sure that it best serves the interests of the people concerned."

While the issue of ID cards still remains controversial, some suggestions made by the peace commission have already been met. DeStefano announced on Monday plans to make City Hall more accessible to people with language impediments, Smuts said. This effort is part of the Hablamos Espanol Initiative, which aims to make City Hall more accessible to Spanish speaking residents.

Marder said the peace commission believes that such measures ought to be applied to the New Haven Police Department by placing Spanish speaking officers on patrol. He also said bilingual officers should be available by phone 24 hours a day. Despite some concerns, Marder said he has confidence in the Board of Aldermen.

"I think we have a board that is pretty understanding of the problems of immigration [and] I am confident that some sort of solution will be found," he said.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:23:31 PM EDT
THIS IS TREASON!

trea·son ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trzn)
n.
Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.
A betrayal of trust or confidence.

I hope someone knows what should be done and does it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 9:30:03 PM EDT by 22bad]
sandy pants berger stole\stuffed top secret documents down his pants and destroyed the evidence

he gets his top secret clearance BACK in time to work in the white house if a dem wins the next election

we are supposedly fighting a war on terror AND a war on drugs..........explain the open border............

treason is a concept that has been forgotten
Top Top