Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 10:47:15 AM EDT
Ok, SO i have been trying to find out the proper way to store a pistol while I travel through Denver. SO far I can only find that it is illegal to open carry while in the city limits. The DPD when i called said have the ammo and gun seperate(ie- one in trucnk and one in glovebox, I have a truck). When i talked to the DPD it sounded more like a preference instead of the law. The website below states that i can carry in the vehicle for protection the same as i would anywhere else in CO , which is loaded and concealed anywhere in the vehicle. I want to obviously be within the law, but I cant find specifics. Anyone have solid info that I go by? Whats the point of perosnal protection if I have to get out and unlock the tool box etc to defend myself. I am working on a CCW permit, but I havnt been home on the proper days to file for one.   Thanks for your help. http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/81/documents/bills/2007/Bill_2007_0021.pdfSec. 38-117 (f)

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=6&pid=10257
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I too, am curious about this.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a CCW permit so I am off the hook but I remember the laws are kind of fucked up.

I think 'peacable journey' laws protect you just passing through but they might mess with you anyway and they could make it a real PITA until it got sorted out (if it ever did).

I had a link...I will look for it.

ETA: Most of Colorado you can have the pistol in your car but I think it has to be out of sight or something.  Handguns can have one in the chamber, longarms cannot if I remember right.
Denver (as you appear to be aware) is a special case though.

Additional edit:

Colorado:
linkeroo

Date updated: Aug 27, 2005 @ 2:19 pm

18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.

(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

Denver Municipal Code:

linkeroo

Sec. 39-9. Firearms and weapons prohibited.
(a)   It shall be unlawful for any person, other than authorized personnel, to possess, display, flourish, or discharge any firearm within any park, parkway, mountain park or other recreational facility.
(b)   It shall be unlawful for any person, other than authorized personnel, to possess, display, or flourish any weapon within any park, parkway, mountain park or other recreational facility. A "weapon" shall be defined as any item listed in section 38-117(a) of the Revised Municipal Code.
(c)   It shall not be an offense under subsection (a) of this section to possess a firearm within any park, parkway, mountain park, or other recreational facility if:
(1)   The weapon involved was a handgun and the person holds a valid permit or a temporary emergency permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to state law and is otherwise carrying the handgun in conformance with any applicable state or local law; or
(2)   The person is carrying the weapon within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of such person's or another person's person or property, and the person is otherwise lawfully in possession of the weapon. If the weapon is a firearm being transported for hunting, it shall be unloaded while being carried within the private automobile or other private means of conveyance.
(Ord. No. 1041-96, § 1, 12-2-96; Ord. No. 38-07, § 7, 1-22-07)

More Municipal Code:
linkeroo

Sec. 38-117. Dangerous or deadly weapons--Prohibitions.
(a)   It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to wear under their clothes, or concealed about their person any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or any switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(b)   It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to carry, use or wear any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches in length, or anyexplosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(c)   It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to display in a threatening manner, or to flourish any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or any switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half(3 1/2) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(d)   In addition to any other penalty imposed by lawful authority, every person convicted of any violation of this section may be required to forfeit to the city such dangerous or deadly weapon so concealed or displayed.
(e)   Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any peace officer as defined by law from carrying, wearing or using such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of the officer's duties.
(f)   It shall not be an offense under 38-117(a) or 38-117(b) if:
(1)   The person, at the time of carrying the concealed weapon, holds a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, C.R.S., prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, holds a valid permit or a temporary emergency permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to state law and is otherwise carrying the handgun in conformance with any applicable state or local law; or
(2)   The person is carrying the weapon concealed within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for hunting or for lawful protection of such person's or another person's person or property, while travelling, and the weapon is not an explosive device, incendiary device, or a bomb. If the weapon is a firearm being transported for hunting, it shall be unloaded while being carried within the private automobile or other private means of conveyance.
(g)   Any sentence imposed for violation of subsection (a) shall run consecutively and not concurrently with any sentence for any other offense, if the weapon involved was a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, explosive device, or incendiary device or bomb.
(h)   Persons convicted of violating and persons pleading guilty or nolo contendere to violation of subsection (a) shall, in addition to any sentence of jail time, pay a fine of at least the following amount when the weapon involved was a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun,explosive device, or incendiary device or bomb:
TABLE INSET:

First offense    $500.00    
Second offense within 5 years    750.00    
Third and subsequent offenses    999.00    

(Code 1950, § 845.1; Ord. No. 621-86, § 1, 9-22-86; Ord. No. 758-91, § 1, 10-21-91; Ord. No. 434-94, § 1, 6-27-94; Ord. No. 538-00, § 1, 7-3-00; Ord. No. 469-04, § 1, 7-12-04; Ord. No. 38-07, § 1, 1-22-07)
State law references:  Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon, C.R.S. 1973, 18-12-105.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Basically they can harrass you while passing through the city limits. Its bullshit. This site seems pretty good for refrence to CO gun laws too.

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks, Basically they can harrass you while passing through the city limits. Its bullshit. This site seems pretty good for refrence to CO gun laws too.

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/

+1, it's total bullshit.

ETA: I suggest seriously considering CCW.  Just for peace of mind re: laws during travel even if you don't want to carry all the time.

I got mine mainly for hiking and stuff where I don’t want to open carry but I also don’t want to be disarmed or get into trouble for carrying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top