Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2014 5:15:31 AM EDT
Link

Now they really have reason to be stressed out.
More than 100 suspected scammers — most of them retired city cops and firefighters — could be arrested as soon as next week for making bogus claims of stress-related illnesses to bilk Social Security for big bucks, the Daily News has learned.

They allegedly maintained that they were too wigged out to work when, in reality, they were mentally and emotionally fit, sources told The News.
At least some of the former NYPD and FDNY members targeted in the probe benefit from 9/11 pensions, according to sources.
View Quote

"Too wigged out to work"? Who wrote this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Link

More than 100 suspected scammers — most of them retired city cops and firefighters — could be arrested as soon as next week for making bogus claims of stress-related illnesses to bilk Social Security for big bucks, the Daily News has learned.

They allegedly maintained that they were too wigged out to work when, in reality, they were mentally and emotionally fit, sources told The News.
At least some of the former NYPD and FDNY members targeted in the probe benefit from 9/11 pensions, according to sources.
View Quote

View Quote

Rocco Parascandola  , Shayna Jacobs  AND Corky Siemaszko

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a good start.  Now if someone would go after the millions of other people scamming Social Security and Medicaid for bogus disabilities...
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing the getting caught part is the news here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
As I fire fighter I sadly see this as only getting worst across the job spectrum , and there are no excuses for it. Wait till some cops or fire fighters start claiming PTSD and want disability, do you really think all these vets on disability truly have it? We had a woman just leave our department, she was in the navy and got disability for PTSD.  If the federal government starts stating something is worth disability the local governments follow sooner or later. Also please don't think I am putting down all veterans as I am grateful to those whom truly serve, but we all know there are millions that mooch of that system as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's more that so many got caught at once. They nail individual retirees all the time. I know of one who got out on a shoulder injury and was caught on video working his roofing company job going up a ladder with bundles of shingles on his "bad" shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Link

View Quote

View Quote

Getting nervous, extorris? I'll IM directions to my upstate place, you can lay low for a bit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As I fire fighter I sadly see this as only getting worst across the job spectrum , and there are no excuses for it. Wait till some cops or fire fighters start claiming PTSD and want disability, do you really think all these vets on disability truly have it? We had a woman just leave our department, she was in the navy and got disability for PTSD.  If the federal government starts stating something is worth disability the local governments follow sooner or later. Also please don't think I am putting down all veterans as I am grateful to those whom truly serve, but we all know there are millions that mooch of that system as well.
View Quote

This is a trend. A retired Lt friend of mine said they were going to give it away anyway, why not him?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Getting nervous, extorris?
View Quote

Not in the least. One of the benefits of having a physical injury with MRI results.
Plus I don't get SSDI.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
This can't be, they're heroes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
As a FF I'm ashamed at what some of our people stoop to.  They give the rest a bad name.  . I hope they get the book thrown at them.

We are paid to handle stress better than other people both physical and emotional.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the most confusing part,heroes aren't supposed to lie.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Link

View Quote

View Quote

Are you really surprised?  Worked for a local government and the ex police chief was now the county executive.  Busted a police officer with a PI scamming workers comp...know what the County Executive did...made it so he had to be informed before any surveillance could be put on an officer and only he could order it.

He's a liberal douche.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#14]
After reading the thread title I knew who the author was before my eyes could slide over to read it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I think it's more that so many got caught at once. They nail individual retirees all the time. I know of one who got out on a shoulder injury and was caught on video working his roofing company job going up a ladder with bundles of shingles on his "bad" shoulder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know of a firefighter who did the same thing.  People like that make it tough for you and me to get disability if we really need it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
After reading the thread title I knew who the author was before my eyes could slide over to read it.
View Quote

Yeah, Extorris always delivers on the NYPD fail.

Sorta surprised he missed the "Unarmed mentally challenged man in shootout with the NYPD" though in his defense  the story was a bit under-developed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know of a firefighter who did the same thing.  People like that make it tough for you and me to get disability if we really need it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a 60 minutes story ob NYC school janitors...they found some that were receiving full medical disability claim that were life guards at the beach.  when confronted, they found nothing wrong with what they were doing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#18]
When are they going after all the juiceheads getting free roids through insurance?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There was a 60 minutes story ob NYC school janitors...they found some that were receiving full medical disability claim that were life guards at the beach.  when confronted, they found nothing wrong with what they were doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure every major city there's stories of this.

FF in Boston on disbility for a back injury was nabbed in a body building contest a few months later. FD told him to return to work, he refused and was fired and charged with fraud but he was aquitted of that charge
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My old partner who's still working sends me links every day for a good laugh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When are they going after all the juiceheads getting free roids through insurance?
View Quote

NYPD fired a bunch of guys a few years back for that. (Except the Chief who was also busted, my shocked face )
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#23]
It's a tough job being a role-model and hero.
Yeah Police!
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Must depend on location because I know cops and firefighters who legitimately need and can't get it. A couple have sued and received but it took about 2 years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#25]
In Denver, it seems like more firefighters and cops retire with disability than without.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Must depend on location because I know cops and firefighters who legitimately need and can't get it. A couple have sued and received but it took about 2 years.
View Quote

I worked with guys who tried for over 5 years before getting it.
ETA: Disability pension not SSDI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top