Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 6:48:35 PM EDT
www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051230/LOCAL/212300324&SearchID=73231081728928

Gainesville is a Blue, liberal county. I can't say %100 if this comissioner is a Liberal but I'd be willing to bet that he is.

Article published Dec 30, 2005
Donovan tries to foil mugging of activist

As a robber sped away after struggling with an elderly woman near the downtown plaza Wednesday, frustrated witness Gainesville City Commissioner Jack Donovan launched a jelly doughnut at the suspect's retreating vehicle.

Donovan had tried to catch the man who mugged Doris Bardon, 86, a local activist and arts advocate, as she was heading to the plaza for that evening's Hanukkah celebration. The robber pushed Bardon to the ground, leaving the injured woman as he ran off with her purse, police reported.

The commissioner might have been upset he couldn't nab the robber.

But officers are crediting Donovan, a member of the city's Public Safety Committee, for quickly getting help for Bardon as well as a description of the suspect, an apparent accomplice and the getaway vehicle. Police hope those details will lead to an arrest.

"He was able to give us a very good vehicle description and now we know a type of car, occupants and clothing. What he told us is it wasn't just one person involved," said police spokesman Sgt. Keith Kameg.

From her hospital room, Bardon described the attack Thursday.

Bardon said she had been standing at University Avenue and NE 1st Street when someone came up behind her. "I couldn't see the person who attacked me," she said. But she said the robber "grabbed the strap on my purse and threw me down and just started to drag me."

Donovan had been walking to City Hall shortly after 6 p.m. when he saw what he thought was a couple standing across the street.

"Then one fell to the ground," Donovan said, and he realized a crime had been committed.

Donovan, 61, rushed to Bardon, checked on her, then chased after the robber who was running toward the City Hall parking lot. The man got into a waiting vehicle, which sped away.

Even though there was a crowd at the plaza, Donovan said Bardon was alone at the corner with the attacker.

Her age may have been a factor her attacker planned to use to his advantage.

"She's pretty frail looking and was right there all by herself. It was one of those kind of rare moments where no one else was around," Donovan said.

So far, Bardon said she has undergone surgery for her left shoulder, which was dislocated. She has bruises and abrasions on her body.

Bardon said she likely will remain hospitalized at least one more day. But, with all the tests, she said, it feels like she has been a patient for a week. "I'm not able to stand up or walk," she said.

Of course Bardon has heard of crimes occurring downtown before, she said. She just never thought it would happen to her.

"I go downtown fairly often," she said. "I'm not afraid to go any place alone. I'm not a fearful kind of person. I'm a pretty strong lady or have been until now."

Police have described the robber as tall and wearing dark clothing, possibly a dark, knitted hat. Donovan said he also got a look at the vehicle's driver who seemed to be in his 50s and had on a cowboy hat. Both men were white. The vehicle, he said, looked like an older-model SUV and was two-toned beige plus a reddish color. The vehicle headed north on NE 1st Street with the doughnut splattered on the back left window.

Another person told Donovan he thought he had seen the vehicle in the area about 15 minutes earlier with "several scruffy people" inside.

Some family and friends have said they might offer a reward for information leading to an arrest.

Police have not had similar reports of robberies matching these suspects' descriptions, Kameg said.

Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call Detective Mike Schentrup at 334-2477 or Crime Stoppers at 372-7867.

Lise Fisher can be reached at 374-5092 or fisherl@ gvillesun.com.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently he is a Liberal, no self respecting right winger would waste a good donut like that. What a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored his platoon. I have tried to help Private Pyle. I have failed. I have failed because YOU have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, whenever Private Pyle fucks up, I will not punish him! I will punish all of YOU! And the way I see it, ladies, you owe me for ONE JELLY DOUGHNUT! NOW, GET DOWN ON YOUR FACES!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top