Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2005 8:12:22 PM EDT
I've heard that cigars do nothing to harm your body as long as you don't inhale the smoke, and that they give you cancer of the mouth over time. Which (if either) has more truth to it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
you could get hit by a bus crossing the street tomorrow. Do what you like.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
This is true, I'm just wondering which has more truth.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
well many people smoke for decades and do not get cancer, while others smoke only a short while and get some sort of cancer so really it is the luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
well many people smoke for decades and do not get cancer, while others smoke only a short while and get some sort of cancer so really it is the luck of the draw.

Why did you ask if you already know the answer?

If you think that, by not inahleing, you are immune from smoke.........

Never mind..Keep drinking the Kool-air.  That cancer in your mouth just "happened"

Do what you want to do......

Don't cry like a girl when the conequences come.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Simply speaking, you either have a resitance to cancer, or you don't. I believe cigars will give you cancer, some people get cancer some don't.  It occurs to me that it is entirely dependent on your gene pool, I could be totally wrong, but not because I am not a doctor.  My Buddy is a doctor and he is an idiot.  

I say do everything in moderation and you may just survive.

Kentlik
40 yrs and still shooting

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind..Keep drinking the Kool-air.  That cancer in your mouth just "happened"

What a dope!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stormtrooper didn't ask, I did. Only reason I ask is I got about 12 cigars from work. First time I ever smoked a cigar, enjoyed it except for my mouth tasting like an ashtray the next day.

I don't want the consequences of cancer, which leads me to asking the question. To be more specific I guess, would smoking a few cigars have bad consequences in the future?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Not just a few. It would be just like saying having a drink on occasions will give you liver cancer.

Relax.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stormtrooper didn't ask, I did. Only reason I ask is I got about 12 cigars from work. First time I ever smoked a cigar, enjoyed it except for my mouth tasting like an ashtray the next day.

I don't want the consequences of cancer, which leads me to asking the question. To be more specific I guess, would smoking a few cigars have bad consequences in the future?

Smoke up.  They won't hurt you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Taking medical advice from a bunch of gun nuts (myself included). Hmmmmm, there's a good idea.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not just a few. It would be just like saying having a drink on occasions will give you liver cancer.

Relax.

Drinking gives you cirrhosis, which is more gradual. I really don't know much about tobacco though, that's why I ask. I know it's not good for you, but would a couple really have a serious impact is what I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
would a couple really have a serious impact

No.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
All things in moderation.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Insurance companies charge higher rates when selling life insurance policies to smokers.  Most companies define smokers as those who smoke cigarettes.  Some companies will lump cigar smokers in with the cigarette group but most will treat cigar smokers the same as non-smokers.  

If you light up a cigar every now & then, you probably aren't going to dramatically increase the risk of cancer or other diseases.  Moderation is the key.  

Smoking a cigar with a friend while relaxing and talking can be beneficial to your mind and spirit.  Chain smoking Swisher Sweets all day and night while grumbling about things that upset you will not contribute to your body or soul.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relax.

Drinking gives you cirrhosis, which is more gradual. I really don't know much about tobacco though, that's why I ask. I know it's not good for you, but would a couple really have a serious impact is what I'd like to know.

Of course not. To say otherwise is just insane. The adverse affects of smoking are gradual as well and develop from long-term exposure. You have nothing to worry about

And I don't get the whole "cancer" kick is about smoking. I mean there are worse conditions you get from long-term smoking that are a lot more frequent(that's right, cancer isn't guaranteed) like COPD(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that are caused not just from the tobacco but from repeated long-term exposure to smoke inhalation.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relax.

Of course not. To say otherwise is just insane. The adverse affects of smoking are gradual as well and develop from long-term exposure. You have nothing to worry about

And I don't get the whole "cancer" kick is about smoking. I mean there are worse conditions you get from long-term smoking that are a lot more frequent(that's right, cancer isn't guaranteed) like COPD(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that are caused not just from the tobacco but from repeated long-term exposure to smoke inhalation.

My fear of cancer is losing my tongue or jaw at the age of 25 or something.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Smoke up.. and dont worry about it...
You could get hit by a bus tommorow....

Reminds me, I have a Cuban that I have been saving...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I smoke 1-2 a month, not worried about it
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Research how Sigmund Freud and US Grant died.  It wasn't pretty.  Both were HABITUAL cigar smokers, six or seven a day.  Three or Four a week, though, shouldn't be that dangerous IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My fear of cancer is losing my tongue or jaw at the age of 25 or something.

Well then pack them mofo's up and send them to me. Tell me what brand they are and I might just pay for shipping.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Cigars are bad?  Crap now I gotta throw all this stuff away! (right after I figure out how to resize pics.)

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Cigars are bad?  Crap now I gotta throw all this stuff away! (right after I figure out how to resize pics.)

members.aol.com/bigmhoff/cigars

looks liek you might want to keep that trench knife away from the humidor. lol...

Everything nowadays will kill you. I say everything in moderation.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, the rust looks more black in real life.  In the pic it looks F'N rusty!  Time to break out the WD-40!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Insurance companies charge higher rates when selling life insurance policies to smokers.  Most companies define smokers as those who smoke cigarettes.  Some companies will lump cigar smokers in with the cigarette group but most will treat cigar smokers the same as non-smokers.  

If you light up a cigar every now & then, you probably aren't going to dramatically increase the risk of cancer or other diseases.  Moderation is the key.  

Smoking a cigar with a friend while relaxing and talking can be beneficial to your mind and spirit.  Chain smoking Swisher Sweets all day and night while grumbling about things that upset you will not contribute to your body or soul.  

That right there is the real source to look for an answer.

Of course the cigar companies will tell you it is harmless.

Of course doctors will tell you anything but lettuce and tofu is bad.

But insurance companies spend millions every year looking for real statistics. The fact that the majority of them do not see cigar smokers as a higher risk speaks loader than any other source of information IMO. They will not lose money.

Now that it is starting to cool off at night again my evening cigar is back on schedule. It was just too damm hot here for a while.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:56:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I smoke 1-2 a month, not worried about it

I was smoking that many a day and I was not worried about it...

until my chest started hurting. Well I geuss it's time to cut back to one or two week after I kick them for a couple of  months.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#27]
yep, you could get cancer from chewing on rocks.

so, how about an arfcom herf?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#28]
George Burns smoked an average of 10 to 15 cigars a day for more than 70 years.  He started out with one or two a day at age 14 and then worked up.  He lived to be 100 years old.  

"Happiness is a good martini, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman... or a bad woman, depending on how much happiness you can stand."

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a risk of cancer from cigar smoking... along with about a hundred other things everyone does each week.

Truth of the mater is that something  is going to kill you sooner or later.  Nobody escapes alive.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the replies guys. I figured a few wouldn't hurt too much, but I just wanted to be sure. I know I'm not gonna live forever, I just don't want to go out early

Far as the cigars go, they're Hampton Court Macanudos. I think I'll just smoke a couple more then sell the rest to my brother.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Smoking a cigar with a friend while relaxing and talking can be beneficial to your mind and spirit.  

+1  I enjoy an occasional fine cigar and a glass of fine Kentucky Bourbon to help it along.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#32]

then sell the rest to my brother

wow, what a guy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

wow, what a guy.

I fail to see what is wrong with that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
George Burns smoked an average of 10 to 15 cigars a day for more than 70 years.  He started out with one or two a day at age 14 and then worked up.  He lived to be 100 years old.  

"Happiness is a good martini, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman... or a bad woman, depending on how much happiness you can stand."

members.cox.net/bessiemaemucho/GeorgeBurns.jpg

Well if he hadn't smoked cigars every day me might have lived to be 101.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#35]
after talking it over with some of the biochemists that I work with, the consensus among them regarding cancer and smoking is genetic predisposition.  some people can be like george burns and smoke 15 sticks a day and live to be 100, some never touch a cigarette or cigar and die of mouth cancer at the age of 12.  it is just a roll of the dice any way you look at it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#36]
All the studies that show smoking cigars causing cancers and stuff tracked people who smoked 5 or more cigars per day.  Since I smoke one every month or two I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, what a guy.

Were they gifted to you? "I got 12 from work...." Did work sell them to you?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Cigars are a gift from god.  I smoke many a week.

Enjoy!

I think I'll fire up an Arture Fuente I picked up in LA last month.  It's been resting in one of my coolerdors, it was a little dry.

Balming
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, what a guy.

Were they gifted to you? "I got 12 from work...." Did work sell them to you?

No, they were given to me. Does it matter? I give my brother money for things I want, and he'll give me money if I take him shooting or something. It's a mutual agreement, I see no problem there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Cigars are a gift from god.  I smoke many a week.

Enjoy!

I think I'll fire up an Arture Fuente I picked up in LA last month.  It's been resting in one of my coolerdors, it was a little dry.

Balming

Sparked an 858 last night that had been in the cooler for a month.  It made my day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
FYI

www.designaffect.com/srada/bfail2.html

That page starts out by quoting an article by Evan J. Elkin.  It's interesting to note that they do not provide a link to Elkin's article but they do give a link to the piece that they offer as counterpoint - "The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs" by Edward M. Brecher and the Editors of Consumer Reports Magazine, 1972.  I found Elkin's article after a few seconds with Google.  Here's a link - www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,747,00.html.

The page you provided refers to quotes from Elkin's article as "that little promotion for smoking" while the Consumer Reports piece is comprised of "facts."  Sounds like a little bit of bias there.  

If you read Elkin's article, you'll see that he uses facts also.  The passages being dissed as "promotions for smoking"are quotes from Dr. Freud.  Elkin provides factual quotes from Freud.  He doesn't represent Freud's opinions as facts.  

A few points provided by your link:
Freud smoked approximately 20 cigars each day.
Freud developed his mouth cancers at age 67 in 1923.
Freud died at age 83 in 1939.

Twenty cigars every day is not moderate consumption.  Anything done in excess does not contribute to good health.  Even with that overindulgence, Freud lived to age 83 which is not an early death - especially when you consider the average life expectancy of people back in the 1930s.  

So.... I guess we can learn a lesson from Dr. Freud's excess:  All things in moderation - don't smoke twenty cigars a day.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Cigars = Bad?

Ask Monica.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I've tried expensive cigars & cheap cigars.

I would say cheap cigars = bad.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

www.designaffect.com/srada/bfail2.html

That page starts out by quoting an article by Evan J. Elkin.  It's interesting to note that they do not provide a link to Elkin's article but they do give a link to the piece that they offer as counterpoint - "The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs" by Edward M. Brecher and the Editors of Consumer Reports Magazine, 1972.  I found Elkin's article after a few seconds with Google.  Here's a link - www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,747,00.html.

The page you provided refers to quotes from Elkin's article as "that little promotion for smoking" while the Consumer Reports piece is comprised of "facts."  Sounds like a little bit of bias there.  

If you read Elkin's article, you'll see that he uses facts also.  The passages being dissed as "promotions for smoking"are quotes from Dr. Freud.  Elkin provides factual quotes from Freud.  He doesn't represent Freud's opinions as facts.  

A few points provided by your link:
Freud smoked approximately 20 cigars each day.
Freud developed his mouth cancers at age 67 in 1923.
Freud died at age 83 in 1939.

Twenty cigars every day is not moderate consumption.  Anything done in excess does not contribute to good health.  Even with that overindulgence, Freud lived to age 83 which is not an early death - especially when you consider the average life expectancy of people back in the 1930s.  

So.... I guess we can learn a lesson from Dr. Freud's excess:  All things in moderation - don't smoke twenty cigars a day.  

The last years of life Freud was in excruciating pain as the cancer ate up his mouth and throat for 16 years, and he got hooked on Laudanum because he used it to help kill the pain, so his last years were not that much fun.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Why be a poser? I never got that. Inhale, get a buzz. Few things dumber that some jackass with his little wrapper on a cigar he's giving a blow job to.
Mouth CA is a concern. Dip will do it also.
Oh yeah, your mouth is part of your body. At least with lung CA you can still use it to eat instead of a tube when to oral surgeon gets through with your you mouth.
I was a cigar smoker (and will probably smoke one here and there in the future).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Simply speaking, you either have a resitance to cancer, or you don't. I believe cigars will give you cancer, some people get cancer some don't.  It occurs to me that it is entirely dependent on your gene pool, I could be totally wrong, but not because I am not a doctor.  My Buddy is a doctor and he is an idiot.  

It's a domino affect, many believe.
So, you work at the factory and breath in "X" for years. So does you're buddy Joe BUT he smokes "Y". X+Y=CA but X does not by itself...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I've tried expensive cigars & cheap cigars.

I would say cheap cigars = bad.

Pffft. I like my  Romeo y Julietas and Cohibas as much as the next man, but I also like the big-ass bundles of cheap dog rockets one gets from CI or JRC. Just have to start the bourbon early when smoking a cheapie
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top