Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2001 6:42:54 PM EDT
I've been smoking cigars for about 2 or 3 years (about 1 or 2 a week) and would like to find a reasonable priced "bundled" or "premium" cigar.
I generally like conn.shade or Cameroon wrapped Dominicans, but am open to try anything. Last year my cigar shop had seconds of RomeoJulietta
Vintage 3's (they're called Super Premiums and are true seconds with blemishes) for $3.25 each. I bought them all and have not been able to find any more. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Macanudo is pretty good. About $5.00 a pop around here. Nice and mild, good after dinner smoke.[^]
My Bro in law gave me a Cahiba. I thought it was a bit strong IMO.
Opus Opus X is good I'm told.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Your very lucky.. I have a couple in the humidor for a time yet unknown. ATF im just kidding of course.Alluapa want to send me a care package?
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I like a CAO box pressed, or an Ashton VSG (virgin sun grown) when they come around.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean "are'nt supposed "to have.
Thanks for the other suggestions. Macanudo's I like. Opus X I like but too expensive and burn like crap (although I still buy them).VSG Ashton I like also. Athough just to warn you I "aged" a Hemmingway, Opus X and VSG for about a year without the wrapper on and was dissappointed in them all. They did mellow out but too much, the VSG lost that spicy kick as did the Opus X. The hemmingway also lost too much flavor for me. I think I'm going to start aging stronger Honduran or Nic. cigars . I aged some Punch Grand cru maduro (that I hated at first when I split a box, too sweet) for over a year and they are excellent. Unfortunatly I only have one left and smoked many of them too early.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I am partial to the Cubans, Romeo Y Julieta's.
Only because I can get them at reasonable prices. I have a friend who is on the flight crew of a certain very exclusive government aircraft that doesn't have to go through customs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My sentiments: Macanudo good, "Bad Frog" bad.  Veeeery bad.  And more than a little stomach-churning, mind you.  

Banshee
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Bad frog???

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy "arturo fuentes" for a pleasent inexpensive smoke ($2), sometimes "Carribean Petites" for an everyday smoke ($1)  "DonThomas Coronas are OK too ($3), I mostly enjoy Maduro wrappers."Montechristo Robustos" are nice.  "Partagas" are good when I can afford them ($5-6)

Try "seconds" if you can find them, they are good 2nd grade cigars that are sometimes rolled too tight, or have a big stem in the wrapper, but still pretty good.

Balming
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Montecristo's #2, and maybe a #3, if the #2's aren't available.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotta go mail order.

Try [url]phatash.com[/url] as they have great prices.

I also use [url]arabicigar.com[/url] as their prices are pretty good but their service is EXCELLENT.  They replaced a box I ordered and was less than satisfied with (seal was broken, cigars seemed dry) with just an email.  Didn't even ask for the old ones back.  And last box I ordered they threw in an extra cigar to try as well as a copy of Smoke magazine.

BTW- I've been working through a box of Upmann Hamiltons than I have been really enjoying.  Gotta love George Hamilton. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Get on a search engine and look up "Vancouver cigar company".  I'll let you figure it out from there.

My favorites so far are Cohiba's.  

btw... thanks ratters for the extra links.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]
You can't go wrong with a Macanudo or a Partagas. I order mine online from [url]www.finckcigarcompany.com[/url]. Try their bundled Alamo honduran handmades. For the money you can't beat them.

Another good source would be[url]www.thompsoncigar.com[/url].
[img]http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/catalogpics/c.alamo.bow.848202.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#13]
You might want to try the La Unica.  Nice mild cigar and very reasonably priced.  Sold in bundles.   My personal choice are the La Gloria's.   I prefer the Wavell and the Torpedo, Miami made, not the ones from the DR and with the Maduro wrapper.   Great smoke for a great price.  

Try [url]www.holts.com[/url]

[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I see from the above that some of you haven't had very good experience with AF Hemmingways.  Personally, I prefer the Hemmingway Short Story over the larger Hemmingways.  I haven't had one yet I didn't like. :)
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Best I ever had:  Padron Special Reserve.  All but unobtainable.  Next best:  Hoyo de Monterey double coronas.  Good all around smoker: Tabantiallas.  I prefer a large cigar, smokes cooler.  JR cigars has some great knockoffs for a buck each or less, try them at [url]http://www.jrcigars.com[/url].
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#17]
QSs Top 3 smokes
1. Dunhill Altamiras or Cabreras
2. Punch Grand Cru maduro
3. El Sublimado

The Dunhills were better when you could still get the 1988 vintage.  The ones available now, 1994s, are still very good.

[smoke]
QS
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]
[url]www.casillascigars.com[/url]
[url]www.casillas-cigars.com[/url]

They are not the best cigars ever, but they are the best value I have found.  They taste like much more expensive cigars.  I can't smoke much anymore, due to bad lungs, but used to really enjoy these.  You can request a sampler of the different types.  If you order any, call the Reno store to avoid the tax.  

When I want to treat myself, I usually get a Montecristo Robusto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top