Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 5:14:28 PM EDT
Alright,
I just bought a Colemann 54 quart Marine cooler today for my coolerdor.  Now I have a few questions...

1.   Have it situated "regular" (like a cooler) or vertically (like a refridgerator)

2.  Oasis/distilled H2O, or beads?

3.  Where (other than a tobacconist) can I get nice cedar sheets?

4.  For attaching the cedar is double sided velcro tape best or is glue best.  If I go the glue route, is Gorilla Glue good (since I already have it) or is "hot" glue best?

Thanks all! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I built mine over 10 years ago. I used a 48qt refrigerator style with a Cigar Oasis. You can get Spanish Cedar from several sources on the net. I neither screwed nor glued the cedar to the Igloo. I built what looks like a bookshelf without a back and just set it in the Igloo.

Google Igloodor and you will find quite a bit of information.

Happy Smoking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you can read this w/out registering for the forum (it's free etc) but a lot of guys there have built coolidors.

cigarpass.com
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]

- I made a coolerdor once. I bought the spanish cedar off ebay. Got alot of really nice wood for only $20 bucks. Then had a buddy rip the 1/2" wide boards into 1/4" boards with a band saw.

2- I would skip the beads or oasis and buy an Electronic Cigar Oasis, you replace the cartridge once a year. I love mine to death, never had a bad/dry smoke since I got this.

4- Elmers makes a water resistant glue. Poly"sumthin". It foams up so use 1/3 of what you think you need. Just make sure it is water resistant, also the Elmers doesnt smell like anything so its ok for your gars. Just let it air out for a few days before putting them in.

1- upright or on the floor. Depends.

I eventually grew out of the coolerdor and made this refridgerador.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 3 coolers, and never bothered with the cedar.  My RH is rock solid without it, and I never saw the point in taking up space if it's not nessecary.

I prefer leaving them horizontal, as you can cram more boxes in there like some sort of tetris hell.

Use whatever you want for humidification. I've been using beads and love them. Takes up no space and is very very little work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of cooler did you guys use.  What was used as a seal or was it one of those steel Coleman coolers with the seal and clamp to hold it down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a Colemann 54 qt Marine cooler.

I just ordered a bundle of Connie 84's and a bundle of Connie 843's from JR.  They haven't had 'em in years, and the reports are good.

I'm prolly gonna go with beads, now I need to figure out how many and how to "mount" 'em?  Should I have "open" beads in a dish?  Should I go with a combination of a 4 ounce tube and a 2 ounce tube?

Rich
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep my beads in the bottom of an old pop bottle that I've cut off, becasue that's what I had at the time. It works just dandy. Be careful about over soaking your beads, they swell up like you wouldn't believe. For a cooler your size, try 2 tablespoons of juice on about 2 teaspoons of beads and see where that gets ya. Let it soak for a good half hour before adding more if needed.

I've got some of the connies, and they ARE good. Try some of the Famous Smoke Nicaraguan 3000's too

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I keep my beads in the bottom of an old pop bottle that I've cut off, becasue that's what I had at the time. It works just dandy. Be careful about over soaking your beads, they swell up like you wouldn't believe. For a cooler your size, try 2 tablespoons of juice on about 2 teaspoons of beads and see where that gets ya. Let it soak for a good half hour before adding more if needed.

I've got some of the connies, and they ARE good. Try some of the Famous Smoke Nicaraguan 3000's too

Thanks.  Any sizes of the 3000's better than any of the others?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
torps are real nice
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Well,
Got the cooler all set up with beads, etc.  I just placed a couple orders, and this is what's on the way....

I just ordered from CI...
-bundle of Diesel Fuerte Toro
-bundle of Super Premium rothchild maduros

And from Famous...
-bundle RP Sun Grown Factory Select Toro
-bundle La Floridita Toro maduro
-box Fire corojo Toro
-bundle Famous Nic 3000 Torp
-Little Havana cigar size digital hygrometer.

HUZZAH!

Last week I got two bundles of the Connie 84 and 843's (hard as hell to get) from JR.  They should be really nice in a couple months!
R
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
great choices on the sticks! Those La Floriditas happen to be one of my favorites, wait until you've put about 6 months on them and they're a real treat!

When you get all those sticks in and start putting them in the cooler, don't get antsy if it takes a couple days for the RH to come up and settle. Give it 5 days at least to stabilize once the sticks are all in the cooler.

Happy smoking!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah,
The hard part will be waiting! I still gotta order my NSS from Uncle Mikey though!  

BTW, are you on eHerf?

R
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yeah,
The hard part will be waiting! I still gotta order my NSS from Uncle Mikey though!  

BTW, are you on eHerf?

R

I registered and looked around, but no offense to Ziti, CigarUtopia is still my home. It's a much smaller place, like having a herf 24/7.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm never been there.  Have to check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top