Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2007 6:53:39 AM EDT
What do you guys think of it? I've never been into Chysler vehicles, but this may be the push I need. Maybe I'll check out the Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Would this lifetime warranty sway YOU into a Chrysler purchase?

www.chryslerllc.com/aboutus/warranty/
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:54:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 6:56:22 AM EDT by tyman]
I hope Chrysler is around in 4+years when people start needing warranty work.

The only Chrysler I would buy is the new Challenger coming out. Me and my buddy test drove a 2500 Ram a few weeks ago and that puppy flat out moves and its a nice frigging truck. He's going to wait about 6mos and save up a little cashola and pay some debt off before getting it through his work who has a 1% over factory invoice pricing through Daimler.

When it comes time to get my Challenger, I'm "his brother".
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:54:51 AM EDT
My DH is already talking the talk. We are looking at a Jeep.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:57:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:
I hope Chrysler is around in 4+years2+years when people start needing warranty work.

You were close.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:09:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:10:44 AM EDT

I have needed less work on my two Dodge products than my two GM products over the past 10 years.

91 Jeep (6cyl Wrangler) and 01 2500(diesel), combined mileage of about 235K
Two Suburbans-(96 and 03), combined mileage of about 210K

Big repairs:
Wrangler, none
Dodge, new tranny at 100K or so, front end work
1st Suburban, new tranny at 76K, new A/c X2
2nd Surburban, new A/C x 1

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:13:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:
This doesn't bode well for Chrysler. Extending the warranty will cost them a LOT of money, so the fact that they feel the need to do so anyway should tell you about the poor state of the company and its overall inability to sell their products. Note too that Chrysler lost roughly 80% of its value while it was under German ownership for the last decade or so.

-Troy

Hmm, I haven't looked at it that way. They may be out of business by the time the warranty is needed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:16:48 AM EDT
I am seriously considering trading in 05 RAM for a new one mainly for the better warranty
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:19:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By palmer:

This doesn't bode well for Chrysler. Extending the warranty will cost them a LOT of money, so the fact that they feel the need to do so anyway should tell you about the poor state of the company and its overall inability to sell their products. Note too that Chrysler lost roughly 80% of its value while it was under German ownership for the last decade or so.

-Troy

Hmm, I haven't looked at it that way. They may be out of business by the time the warranty is needed.

See second post
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:21:01 AM EDT
Want to bet that market research, of new car buyers, listed "drivetrain concerns/longevity" as a #1-#5 red flag of top concerns?

A concern grave enough to keep a random new car buyer from considering a Chrylser vehicle?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 7:25:39 AM EDT by THOLL223]

Chryslers' lifetime powertrain warranty?

Yeah, I would buy Chryslers', not Chyslers' they will last longer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:26:12 AM EDT
Not much.

They won't be around too much longer. Another Oldmobile.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:30:17 AM EDT
Drive around town and look for the cars with blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe. 9 of 10 times it will be a Chrysler/Dodge. Think I'm full of it?

Ask a Chrysler/Dodge mechanic.

Then go drive through a Chrysler/Dodge dealership and see what the employees drive (not including the demos). If their own employees don't believe in the product, why should we?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:31:46 AM EDT
you better keep every single receipt of your maintence records for this warranty to be good. you miss one oil change or go over the mileage and they will challenge the warranty. i am dealing with that right now wiith my '03 Ram 1500.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:34:34 AM EDT
98 durango:

tranny replace at 80k (still leaks oil)
ac system repaired x 3 at $1500 each
ball joints replaced twice
power window motors replaced on all windows
window brackets replaced on driver side front and rear
radio doesn't work when car gets hot
fuel pump replaced at 100k
water pump replaced at 70k

all that in addition to scheduled maintenance and regular wear items.

I'll never buy another chrysler product again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:34:39 AM EDT

it's a scam.

the people who can afford to buy a new vehicle, typically do every few years. as such, warranty work is not usually an issue for them since they don't own a vehicle for long enough to NEED work.

people who can't afford new vehicles [obviously] buy used vehicles which will inevitably NEED work. the warranty does not apply to them though as it is non-transferrable.

so, the second owner can't use it, and the first owner won't need to.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:35:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 7:36:25 AM EDT by XterraJohn]
As I recall hearing on the radio, it's a lifetime NON-TRANSFERABLE warranty. As I understand it, when you trade your new car in in 3 years and it sells on the used market, whoever buys it then gets NO warranty. I believe most warranties on new vehicles are transferable.

How many people these days really keep a car longer than 5 years?

ETA: beat by what, 28 seconds?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:37:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By THOLL223:

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:45:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By XterraJohn:

I do. Almost. Have a 2003 Intrepid ES. Plan on driving it until it blows up. Hopefully that's far off from today, as I'm too damn tall to drive much anything else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:48:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MNnaloxone:

I do. Almost. Have a 2003 Intrepid ES. Plan on driving it until it blows up. Hopefully that's far off from today, as I'm too damn tall to drive much anything else.

Uh-oh, hope you didn't jinx yourself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:51:05 AM EDT

What do you guys think of it? I've never been into Chysler vehicles, but this may be the push I need. Maybe I'll check out the Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Would this lifetime warranty sway YOU into a Chrysler purchase?

www.chryslerllc.com/aboutus/warranty/

I wouldnt want a "guaranteed piece of shit for life" thank you very much.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:53:30 AM EDT

Thanks for your input.

I am the spelling Nazi!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:59:38 AM EDT
I try to purchase a vehicle every 10 years whether I need to or not. My last vehicle was a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bought it in August of 1997 with 29,000 miles. It now has 210,000 miles and is mechanically solid. I only had to do two things. Crank sensor $120 installed at the dealer when it had 60,000 and at about 40,000 miles the exhaust manifold developed a crack. I finally replaced it at about 85,000 (got tired of the sound and JB weld didn't work so well). That's it. I beat the crap out of it too. Best four wheel drive I have ever owned. A few times I have had to put chains on all fours to get traction. That wasn't an issue for me.

I bought a used 2006 Dodge PU about 3 weeks ago for a smokin' deal. Resale prices for used Chrysler products may not be that great but I drive em into the ground so it just doesn't matter. If the pick up craps out before the decade is up I'll go back to the Jeep as I kept it.

Long story short. Chrysler gets my vote for now as they have been the most trouble free of the vehicles I've owned. That includes Ford F 350 duelie w/ powerstroke diesel (super expensive to maintain - when the $400/month payments were over I basically had $400/mo maintenance and repair bills), Chevy Silverado 1500 (so - so), Chevy S-10 (piece of crap lemon, Honda Accord (pretty decent but too expensive for a mass produced car - good resale value though), Suzuki Samurai (met and exceeded expectations - Bought it new, drove it 110,000, rolled it down the freeway better than a carnival ride and I got $500 less than I paid for it brand new), and a 1972 GMC 10 (speeks for itself). Only two met the 10 year with no major repair criteria - the Jeep and the 1972 GMC.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:02:40 AM EDT
I don't necessarily agree with some of the "this is a sign of problems" comments. While the company isn't doing all that great, I have to point out the last time they bumped their powertrain warranty (from 7/70 to 10/100) was when I last upgraded my wife's and my vehicles in 03... There was an interview in the newspaper about it, and a Chrysler exec said something to the effect that, "our quality for powertrains already exceeds that" time wise.

Naturally there will be junkers and naturally the REST of the vehicle may fall apart, but the drivetrain components are what's covered under that warranty.

I have 50k on my 03 Dakota and am hoping to get more than 100k out of it. 150k if possible.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:10:53 AM EDT
In my experience, the "powertrain" is defined as everything EXCEPT whatever just broke.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:34:11 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:38:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
In my experience, the "powertrain" is defined as everything EXCEPT whatever just broke.

ROFLMAO!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:41:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

+1
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:46:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

+1

For the first time in my life, I am going to try!

I LOVE my truck. 03 Dakota QC 4.7l 4x4
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:53:47 AM EDT
It's a marketing strategy to pull in more new car buyers. I can almost guarantee this lifetime powertrain warranty is for a limited time only (1-2 years) and then it will get reduced down to a more standard 3/36 5/50 warranty on new cars.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:54:25 AM EDT
My 1999 Dodge Ram's engine went out at 33,000 due to a clogged up oil pump. I bought it used with 31,000. They rebuilt the upper half under wattanty. At approx 34,000 it started knocking.

Then I:

Traded it in on a 2001 Dodge Ram. Yea, I didn't learn. At 53,000 my oil pressure started dropping. Pulled the pan and found burned up oil clogging the strainer. Ran another oil change through it and started finding metal flakes in the oil.

Chrysler/Dodge accuses everyone with this problem of not changing their oil. One guy in Reidsville who is suing them has his receipts from another dealership where they changed it every 4K from the day it was new. I do my own changes and use Amsoil synthetic.

I ended up trading the 2001 in on a Chevy Silverado. I will wait and see if I have better luck with this one.

I will never have another Chrysler/Dodge product again...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:24:58 AM EDT
height=8
height=8

I had a feeling that I should have excepted the present company from that question.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:33:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

+1

+1 again

Some folks don't have the money to buy a brand new off-the-floor car every five years just for the sake of having a brand new car. Especially when said people know how to turn a wrench...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:54:12 AM EDT
Wife drives a 2000 Dodge Neon, purchased in 2001 as a rental return. It had 14k on the clock when we bought it, and it's currently at 180k. It's treated like shit (it can die for all I care, but it won't). Work done so far includes:

Thermostat
Timing Belt (at 160,000)
Water Pump (didn't need it, but I did it anyway since I was in there)
Battery
Rotors (front)
Brake Pads
CV Shaft Seal (Recently. Until that point, it was running the factory ATF - no shit)
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Air Filter
Tires
Serpentine belt
I added R-134.
Catalytic Converter.

That's an all inclusive list. That's everything. It is NOT regularly maintained, and I do not follow the maintenance schedule. When something breaks, I take care of it. The one exception to that is the timing belt, since a breakage would ruin the motor. I was on borrowed time as it was. The water pump was fine, but it was going to go eventually, and it's easy to replace if you're already in there for the timing belt. Besides, it was cheap (even as an honest to God Mopar replacement part).

Current problems that need attention include:
Minor leak around freeze plug
Noisy power steering pump (it's never changed the fluid...ever)
Both 02 sensors are factory, and are way past due for replacement. The engine isn't *quite* as smooth as it used to be (it's still fine though), and the mileage has dropped a smidge.

That's it. There are no squeaks, rattles, wind noise, etc. The interior has held up just fine, and everything works just like it did when I bought it. I've done all the work (what little there is) myself, with the exception of the CV shaft seal. When that let go, it was pouring ATF and I couldn't get to it until the weekend. It cost me $95 and exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes to have a local shop do it (no appointment - I just made a quick phone call and drove it in).

It's been the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. I'll run it until the wheels fall off, then I'll buy new wheel bearings, balance and remount the tires.

There's no rust on it yet, but it's only been in Ohio for 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:57:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pol_pot_47:
+1 again

Some folks don't have the money to buy a brand new off-the-floor car every five years just for the sake of having a brand new car. Especially when said people know how to turn a wrench...

Preach it, brother. I have the money, I just refuse to spend it.

If it weren't for body rot, I could keep a car running indefinitely. My daily drivers in California alternated between a 1965 Galaxie 500 and a 1968 F-100. I can't do that here. Once I get a garage built, I'll have a place to address the cancer on my 89 Jeep YJ. That one is a simple enough vehicle body-wise to keep running indefinitely, even while keeping up on the rust.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:02:43 AM EDT

Do you really think he didnt know there should be an "r" in there, or are you a missed key Nazi? Sheesh.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:09:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 556fiend:
Drive around town and look for the cars with blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe. 9 of 10 times it will be a Chrysler/Dodge. Think I'm full of it?

Then go drive through a Chrysler/Dodge dealership and see what the employees drive (not including the demos). If their own employees don't believe in the product, why should we?

I am not particularly brand loyal, but I disagree with this. My wife had a 97 Stratus when we married. She bought it new, and we have since accumulated 200,000 miles. Oil usually changed around every 5 to 7.5K miles. Put a CV axle in it around 140K. Other than that, nothing. Cold AC and 31MPG at 200K. Thats a good vehicle. Good enough that I bought an 06 Ram, Hemi quad cab. I have got 20K on it, with a significant portion of that pulling a 3000lb boat or a 5000lb tractor, auto trans with no problems thus far. I am considering buying an extended warranty just because I pull so often right at the recommended limits. Bottom line, I think Dodge is as good as any other domestic manufacturer. Most Dodge owners I know(quite a few) seem very satisfied, contrary to what you suggest.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:16:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmt1271:

I am not particularly brand loyal, but I disagree with this. My wife had a 97 Stratus when we married. She bought it new, and we have since accumulated 200,000 miles. Oil usually changed around every 5 to 7.5K miles. Put a CV axle in it around 140K. Other than that, nothing. Cold AC and 31MPG at 200K. Thats a good vehicle. Good enough that I bought an 06 Ram, Hemi quad cab. I have got 20K on it, with a significant portion of that pulling a 3000lb boat or a 5000lb tractor, auto trans with no problems thus far. I am considering buying an extended warranty just because I pull so often right at the recommended limits. Bottom line, I think Dodge is as good as any other domestic manufacturer. Most Dodge owners I know(quite a few) seem very satisfied, contrary to what you suggest.

I suggested you talk to a Chrysler mechanic. You and your circle of friends are the exception.

Yes, I have talked to Chrysler techs and yes, they told me to run from their product.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:20:38 AM EDT

I suggested you talk to a Chrysler mechanic. You and your circle of friends are the exception.

Yes, I have talked to Chrysler techs and yes, they told me to run from their product.

I'm pretty sure all a Toyota mechanic sees are broken Toyotas...

I'd be more inclined to listed to an independent shop that sees ALOT of business. Or anybody who does fleet maintenance.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:21:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Subnet:
Wife drives a 2000 Dodge Neon, purchased in 2001 as a rental return. It had 14k on the clock when we bought it, and it's currently at 180k. It's treated like shit (it can die for all I care, but it won't). Work done so far includes:

At 180k miles, if you expect it to last much longer, might be a good idea to replace the struts. I guess they're not broken per se, but they must be practically useless at this point. I wouldn't feel safe in a car with 180k on the struts.

Oh, and I don't see any oil changes in the list!

Sounds like a good car though overall. My '02 Golf has been pretty good for the first 97k, hopefully I can say the same after the next 97k. Of course, I maintain the Golf by the book... oil and filter every 10k, fuel and air filter every 20k, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:22:15 AM EDT

My experience is much more varied than you suspect, and I disagree with you. There are bad apples from every mfg, but Dodge is as good as the rest, and they are now willing to put their money where their mouth is, with the best PT warranty in the world.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:25:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:

Originally Posted By Subnet:

At 180k miles, if you expect it to last much longer, might be a good idea to replace the struts. I guess they're not broken per se, but they must be practically useless at this point. I wouldn't feel safe in a car with 180k on the struts.

Oh, and I don't see any oil changes in the list!

Sounds like a good car though overall. My '02 Golf has been pretty good for the first 97k, hopefully I can say the same after the next 97k. Of course, I maintain the Golf by the book... oil and filter every 10k, fuel and air filter every 20k, etc.

I change the oil whenever I've got a free moment. To be honest, I can't remember when I changed it last. It's been at least a year ago. It's Mobil 1 Synthetic, for what it's worth.

I've bounced the car up and down, and it settles in like 2 bumps. The struts and springs are still decent. They'll need replaced eventually, but I'm no hurry at this point. It still rides pretty damn nice. The LOUD ass power steering pump drives me crazy, though. I hope to take care of that next month.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:01:50 PM EDT
"See dealer for a copy of the limited warranty and details"

Anyone know if it covers stuff like alternator, water pump, gaskets, belts, hoses, O2 sensors, ect?

Or does it just cover the block.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:10:52 PM EDT

-Troy

They just hired a CEO that is the king of cost cutting. He will cut more than enough labor to make up for lifetime warranties.

Chrysler will stay on its feet at the expense of the people who make that company what it is.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:12:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
"See dealer for a copy of the limited warranty and details"

Anyone know if it covers stuff like alternator, water pump, gaskets, belts, hoses, O2 sensors, ect?

Or does it just cover the block.

jesus man, what else do you want it to cover the gasoline it burns to run as well?

gaskets and belts are wear items probably not covered after the first 2 - 3 months, 60- 90 days.

just like your brake lights and stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:27:24 PM EDT
We have had quite a few of their products over the years. The power train was never a problem. Everything else will eat you alive. When I get rid of my Wrangler I am done with them. Going to try out a GMC truck next and maybe a BMW Z4 too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:30:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo0506:

-Troy

They just hired a CEO that is the king of cost cutting. He will cut more than enough labor to make up for lifetime warranties.

Chrysler will stay on its feet at the expense of the people who make that company what it is.

There is still a lot of fat to trim at the factory level at very least.

The stories my old neighbor used to tell us about were hilarious, but they exemplified what is wrong with the unions currently.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:32:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARSTAF:
We have had quite a few of their products over the years. The power train was never a problem. Everything else will eat you alive. When I get rid of my Wrangler I am done with them. Going to try out a GMC truck next and maybe a BMW Z4 too.

If your Wrangler happens to be a Rubicon, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:37:28 PM EDT
I would look at the repair history in Consumer Reports, that will give you a more accurate estimation on how reliable mechanically the car will be. I've seen Chrysler's, and it is not all that glowing.

Remember the warranty is to protect the seller, and not the buyer. They happened to turn a negative into a positive, pretty good sales gimmick if you ask me. Check out the Magnuson-Moss Act.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:43:12 PM EDT

My experience is much more varied than you suspect, and I disagree with you. There are bad apples from every mfg, but Dodge is as good as the rest, and they are now willing to put their money where their mouth is, with the best PT warranty in the world.

I'm glad they are standing by their product, because consumer reports doesn't:

Not one Dodge or Chrysler ranked as a good purchase
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:47:11 PM EDT

I'm glad they are standing by their product, because consumer reports doesn't:

Not one Dodge or Chrysler ranked as a good purchase

Consumer Reports bases their bullshit car ratings off of an unscientific survey of readers, most of whom probably know next to nothing about cars. Further, the differences between the various makes are often statistically insignificant, but it's like pulling teeth to get CR to supply the raw data for scrutiny.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top