Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2002 8:16:16 PM EDT
I have a Glock 27 for my "normal" concealed carry weapon.  However, this may not be the best choice for church carry.

What handguns do you carry in church?  I could use my G27 with comp-tac shirt tucker holster, but I might want soemthing smaller for church maybe a NA Arms mini 22.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This one takes the cake!  I am already going to nominate this for the post of 2002!

Have you considered open carry? Oh god LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree that it is a funny sounding topic.

However, a few years back a nut went into a church in the DFW area an killed some of the congregation.  This prompted Texas to change the CHL law to allow carry in churches.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a full size 1911 .45. And, yes, sometimes I carry open. Many members of my church do also.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say that a church carry gun should be bigger.

Think about it.  Your everyday carry weapon is for all sorts of scenarios.  
Your church weapon, on the other hand, would be used for trouble in [i]church[/i].  That wouldn't be a mugging, or a purse-snatch...

...that would be serious trouble.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would say that a church carry gun should be bigger.

Think about it.  Your everyday carry weapon is for all sorts of scenarios.  
Your church weapon, on the other hand, would be used for trouble [in]church[/i].  That wouldn't be a mugging, or a purse-snatch...

...that would be serious trouble.  
View Quote

Perhaps a subgun maybe?  Like maybe a Church Ninja........... Nevermind I know how to take care of this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Claymore mines at the baptistry and behind the holy-water.

Churches are designed perfectly for good interlocking fields of fire.  If you lay out your concertina wire just so, they'll be channeled right into the Kill-zone.

Snipers in the steeple.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm shocked that nobody has photoshopped the pic of the old guy with the MP5 as a clergy and stuck him up in here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a problem. I don't go to church.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought that in TX, CCWs are not allowed in churches.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
1gunrunner here you go...
[img]http://home.swbell.net/cbrofman/churchshooting.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that Dana Carvey? LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
its church lady of SNL fame, showing her infamous "church lady with her mp5" dance
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I try not to attend church much, but on those rare occasions when decorum or family forces me into it, I usually carry my regular carry gun (a full size 1911) in a dayplanner or else a snub 38 in a Kramer Confidante holster undershirt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Well, now.... isn't that just SPECIAL!!"...[}:D]  

(somebody had to say it...[:D])

[beer]  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]Hmmm...I wonder..who could it be....well...maybe....[size=4][red]SATAN![/red][/size=4][/b][}:D]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought that in TX, CCWs are not allowed in churches.
View Quote

As I stated earlier, Texas allows concealed carry in churches in response to the Wedgewood Baptist shootings.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#19]
The smart alecs aside (that church lady with the subgun IS funny) ....

I don't see that carrying in church is really needful of any different firearm than your usual carry gun.

Just get it OK'd with the pastor, and then follow the usual carry rules. Like making sure it is truly concealed.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree that it is a funny sounding topic.

However, a few years back a nut went into a church in the DFW area an killed some of the congregation.  This prompted Texas to change the CHL law to allow carry in churches.
View Quote

The TX CC Law Book states that it is illegal for a license holder to carry in any Church, Synagogue, place of worship, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree with applying the same set of rules as you would in any other carry scenario but personally, whether or not my pastor approves is not the deciding factor as to whether I carry or not.

For starters, he won't know.  Secondly, I am not prepared to live with the consequences of my unpreparedness in the event that something serious should actually go down while in church.

The pastor not approving would be of little consolation in the end.

I carry my Glock 27 or my 23C.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I worked with a retired Memphis Lt who used to never carry in church. One wed. nite they had a guy come in and at gunpoint take everyones purse or wallet(about 15 people)....Lt had his badge in his wallet....they looked at that and popped off two rounds in his general direction as they went out the door. Both rounds missed everyone, but needless to say he is well armed in church now!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://www2.uberti.com/images/guns/prBirdheadCattleman.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Our former pastor (now retired) usually had a Ruger SP101 .357 in his pocket...

DrMark
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess the fact that the majority of you take this seriously is enough reason for me not to goto church.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#26]
WWJC?  (What Would Jesus Carry?)
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess the fact that the majority of you take this seriously is enough reason for me not to goto church.
View Quote

Well, I am not carrying to be protected from the ones at church!  

WWJC  Now that is funny!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#28]
ROFLOLPIP Threads like this are why I hang out here! Too few of 'em lately.

Ah allus take my pappy's shotgun in case one of them there rattlers forgets he's in church an' bites a feller whilst he's haindlin' 'im. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#29]
okay! okay!
only because y'all asked!
[img]http://home.swbell.net/cbrofman/badmutha_copy.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#30]
The TX CC Law Book states that it is illegal for a license holder to carry in any Church, Synagogue, place of worship, etc.
View Quote

My booklet on the law says that too, but I heard that this changed in 1997.  Here is a link that says indeed the law was changed to allow church carry.

[url]http://www.reslaw.com/texasgun.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#31]
As I investigate more, it looks like the law change did not explicitly allow church carry.  It did however require all buildings to post the "30.06" sign which was not a requirment for churches before.  So if there is no 30.06 sign you can carry.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#32]
[tongue-in-cheek]YOU ARE ALL HEATHENS!  DON'T YOU KNOW THAT IF ITS YOUR TIME GOD WILL SAVE YOU ID YOU'VE BEEN A GOOD CHRISTIAN? [tongue-out-of-cheek]

I say whatever gun you get, you ask the priest/pastor to bless and baptise it, for if the anti-gunners ever win, they shall strike it down, melting it into the flames of hell.  Baptism will shield your poor gun from the flames of left wing hell.  [0:)]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As I investigate more, it looks like the law change did not explicitly allow church carry.  It did however require all buildings to post the "30.06" sign which was not a requirment for churches before.  So if there is no 30.06 sign you can carry.
View Quote

Yes, Now I am a bit confused.... My impression from the CHL class that everything was open to legal carry (w/o "30.06" sign) except schools and Gov buildings.

The law book also states that the following places also do NOT allow for legal carry:
Sporting Events
Hospitals

Can anyone answer with certainty what places do not legally allow CCW in TX?

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#34]
It is a little confusing to me also.

It appears those places mentioned as being specifically prohibitive of CCW (schools, hospitals, etc.) need to also have the 30.06 sign to make cases more prosecutable.  The 1997 law apparently makes all places wanting to prohibit CCW post a sign (whether they are by namely prohibited like schools or not)
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It appears those places mentioned as being specifically prohibitive of CCW (schools, hospitals, etc.) need to also have the 30.06 sign to make cases more prosecutable.  The 1997 law apparently makes all places wanting to prohibit CCW post a sign (whether they are by namely prohibited like schools or not)
View Quote

Correct, Section 46.035 states that hospitals, nursing homes, amusement parks, and churches must post notice under 30.06 that possession of a handgun is forbidden.   If not posted, legal carry is permitted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Well,

The reason Texas changed the law was not actually based on the church shootings, but by common sense arguments made against the prohibited carry inside churches, nursing homes, hospitals, and amusement parks.

Churches, large amounts of cash collected in the offering plate, ripe for the taking by armed thugs.  Prohibiting in a church also 'loosely' interefered with a churches religious freedom.  

Nursing homes have some limited quanities of drugs on hand, prescription narcotics.  Easy target as well, old people with Social Security checks, with little or no way to protect themselves from rape or physical atacks.  Besides, the resident's room/apartment is a private residence second amendment issue looming there imho.  

Hospitals, huge quantities of drugs, and a frequent scene is a 'victim' of gang violence attracting revenge of other victim's family.  Screaming, yelling, gun waving is NOT uncommon in most emergency rooms when gang members from different factions all show up to finish what their 'homies' started.  Doctors wanted to be able to protect themselves.  

Amusement parks, kind of a gray area why they even prohibited guns there in the first place.  Who ever heard of someone freaking out over a roller coaster and madly blasting away?  Must have been a 'special interest' group with a large amusement park, and an anti-gun bias that got that clause on the books.

FWIW, Federal buildings = No guns.  30.06 signs = No Guns   51% = No guns.  Airports, prisons, etc. = No guns

Besides, you never know until you ask, your employer might be pro-gun and encourage you to carry concealed.  After the college shootings last week, I am certain even some schools will be reconsidering their 'no guns' policy.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Besides, you never know until you ask, your employer might be pro-gun and encourage you to carry concealed.  After the college shootings last week, I am certain even some schools will be reconsidering their 'no guns' policy.

TheRedGoat
View Quote

That's good for another topic.  Whose employers allow concealled carry on premises?  Mine does not.  A weapon of a licensee may be in the vehicle in the company parking lot, however.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TheRedGoat
View Quote

That's good for another topic.  Whose employers allow concealled carry on premises?  Mine does not.  A weapon of a licensee may be in the vehicle in the company parking lot, however.
View Quote

True, keeping your weapon concealed in the vehicle in a public or private parking lot is covered by the law.  

The school where I work is very gun friendly.  Most of the faculty have CHL's, but so far we have not needed, nor have we asked, permission to carry in the building.  Don't ask, don't tell is not the same in a junior college as it is in a High School.  Handgun training certificates in faculty offices are common.

I am not sure I would want to carry concealed and try to teach computer classes.  Lots of bending and stooping to assist students with computer problems, and I hate wearing a sports jacket/suit.  

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Surely something quiet would be appropriate... make mine a Ruger 22/45 with integral suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#41]
This is what I like to carry to church! Raging Bull .454 casull

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/karri/454chromelg.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, Section 46.035 states that hospitals, nursing homes, amusement parks, and churches must post notice under 30.06 that possession of a handgun is forbidden.   If not posted, legal carry is permitted.
View Quote

Yep, those fact ARE stated (at the very end after all the "forbiddens") in the 2002 TX CCW lawbook. My bad. [:(]
I remembered those facts from the CHL class (the fact that church carry was permitted w/o 30.06) but could not find reinforcement in the lawbook........only because I did not read far enough into the statutes. My apologies to ar15bubba.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#43]
The Texas handgun laws are the most confusing that I have ever seen.

Houston is correct - the law says that no one can carry a gun into places A, B, C through Z, but [b]several pages later[/b], turns around and says that those places have to post a sign, or else the prohibition really does not carry any legal sanction.

I often visit a local large maker of computer microprocessors whose name consists of three letters.  They prominently forbid anyone from bringing a gun onto their property, [b]including the parking lots[/b].  However, their signs are very tasteful and aesthetic and [b]do not[/b] meet the requirements of section 30.06 [:D]  Moreover, they are in English only, not in Spanish as required by section 30.06  I love bilingualism [:D]

To get back to topic, I have never come across a church with a posted sign about firearms, 30.06 or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is what I like to carry to church! Raging Bull .454 casull
View Quote

Charismatics!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:37:21 AM EDT
[#45]
M1A Scout???!!![shock]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
WWJC?  (What Would Jesus Carry?)
View Quote

Why hasn't anybody posted the pic of Jesus and the Barret? I would if I could.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#47]
USP Tactical with supressor. So you don't interrupt the choir singing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Carrying a weapon gun or edged in church in GA is a felony.

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Under Michigans new CCW laws you can't carry a firearm in any place of worship.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#50]
The Pastor of the church next to the bar I work in( gotta love NV) is also the Sheriff Dept.'s chaplain. He was fondling my Auto Ordnance 1927 with great reverance when I had it at work.
I personally would not attend a church where that was an issue. Carry the G23. Protect your flock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top