Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2005 6:33:54 PM EST
Well, well, well.... so much for that.

www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Articles/articleId=105662

Chrysler Will Abandon 7-Year Warranty

Date Posted 05-17-2005

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Chrysler has decided to cancel its 7-year/70,000-mile standard powertrain warranty.

The company judged that this package did not sufficiently entice customers, so it plans to divert the money and resources it was using to fulfill the warranty obligations toward other consumer and dealer marketing efforts.

Chrysler will instead offer its 3-year/36,000-mile standard bumper-to-bumper warranty.

According to Automotive News, the 7-year warranty plan will be phased out beginning in the 2006 model year.

What this means to you: It's understandable that Chrysler would decide to drop this package if it's not a strong selling point, but the company's decision will likely not sit well with those of us who appreciated the peace of mind of the 7-year package.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:35:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Chrysler has decided to cancel its 7-year/70,000-mile standard powertrain warranty.

The company judged that this package did not sufficiently entice customers, so it plans to divert the money and resources it was using to fulfill the warranty obligations toward other consumer and dealer marketing efforts.

Is it because it won't entice customers or is it costing Chrysler too much? Chrysler is not synonmous with quality IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:40:25 PM EST
First, last, and only dodge/chrysler I owned would have bankrupt the company by itself if it had had the 7/70K warranty.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:43:04 PM EST
Again?

They did the same thing shortly after the Big Government Bailout.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:44:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 6:47:28 PM EST by Hoppy]

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

Is it because it won't entice customers or is it costing Chrysler too much? Chrysler is not synonmous with quality IMHO.

Been driving them for the past 11 years now and had to replace an alternator.

ETA: Trucks. The only experience I have with their cars was 2000 Intrepid. I only owned that one for a year (they don't do well off the pavement), but it never gave me any trouble.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:46:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hoppy:

Very odd when Daimler-Chrysler's Hyundai and Mercades divisions both offer 100000/10year warranties...

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:47:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 6:48:02 PM EST by purplecheese]

Father has had two dodges (and 3 plymouths on blocks in the backyard, FWIW).

2001 Van has had two tranny rebuilds and one motor rebuild. 133K on the van.

2002 Truck has had motor rebuild down. Not exactly what I call great vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:47:44 PM EST
Well now they go down a couple more notches in my preference list.

I'm still a Plymouth guy. Too bad there is no Plymouth. I'm thinking I'll be a Chevy, Subaru, or Honda <shudder> guy next...

Every time I think about going back to DaimlerChrysler, they give me a new reason not to. Way to chase off customers, DC!

Jim
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:48:34 PM EST
My Jeep works pretty good....
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:51:27 PM EST

It's definitely costs. Chrysler quality is a contradiction in terms.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:55:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:
Well now they go down a couple more notches in my preference list.

I'm still a Plymouth guy. Too bad there is no Plymouth. I'm thinking I'll be a Chevy, Subaru, or Honda <shudder> guy next...

Every time I think about going back to DaimlerChrysler, they give me a new reason not to. Way to chase off customers, DC!

Jim

All of the USA car companies can save a lot of money by just getting rid of the various brands that they got, since the days of seperate body styles and egnines for each division is gone, GM should get rid of Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:55:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:

Very odd when Daimler-Chrysler's Hyundai and Mercades divisions both offer 100000/10year warranties...

Not so odd.

Hyundai quality was terrible when the brand was newer. Their reputation still suffers. They HAVE to offer that warranty in order to get buyers.

Mercedes is marketed as a high dollar item, and it makes sense to have a high dollar warranty.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:56:56 PM EST

The 7/70 was an extended warranty that was in addition to the regular 3/36 factory warranty. When we bought our Ram Sport and Durango in 02 it was a freebe that was in response to the other manufacturers zero finance and other selling perks.

The economy is considered much better now so the 7/70 perk isn't needed to sell cars nowadays. Not many dealers offering zero percent financing anymore either, for the same reason.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:19:17 PM EST
We use Dodge Grand Caravans for our company cars and trade them back at 70K for a new one. I swear my last two have both crapped the tranny at 60K. Due to this, I would never buy my company car after driving it for 18 months. Yes, I put 70K miles on a car in 18 months, but of course they're all highway miles. My last Toyota lasted 247K miles before I retired it. It really makes me rethink the whole US/Japanese car idea....
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:24:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 7:31:23 PM EST by TRW]

Hyundai quality was terrible when the brand was newer.

How new is newer? Hyundai has been making cars since at least the early 80's. Maybe even before that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:31:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By TRW:

How new is newer? Hyundai has been making cars since at least the early 80's. Maybe even before that.

I don't believe they were sold in the US until later. Their quality was very poor. Later models are much better and to prove it and to get buyers back they instituted the 10/100 warranty.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:37:44 PM EST

They started turning things around sometime near 1999. Incidentally, 1998 was the first year they started offering the 10 year/100000 mile warranty to entice buyers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:47:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 8:48:17 PM EST by Scollins]
If you currently have the 7/70 powertrain, you get to keep it. What they are doing is phasing it out for NEW car sales.

I've owned the following DaimlerChrysler vehicles over the years:
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 Sport (bought new. sold at 20,000 miles with ZERO problems. Wanted 4x4.)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 (bought used after the Ram for the 4x4. Sold at 65,000. Only problem was cracked exhaust manifold that DC fixed for $100. Total bill would have been $500. Sold because I needed better towing capacity.)

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel (bought used with 100,000 miles, sold at 125,000 miles. Had a baby, and the regular cab needed to go.) NO problems with this truck at all, even after cranking up the power on the motor.

2003 Dodge Durango R/T (bought new right after the Ram Diesel. 17,000 miles with two problems. Rear window washer pump was bad from day one, and the water pump started leaking. A little miffed, but it was fixed quickly. No other problems.) Still have it, love it.

2003 Dodge Caravan (company car with 51,000 miles on it. I drive it about 20,000 miles a year "like I stole it" and it has had no problems. I wish it did, I can't wait to get rid of it. It is a mini-van for god's sake!!)

So, out of a total of 5 DC vehicles, with a total of 278,000 miles driven, I've had one bad water pump, a cracked exhaust manifold and a bad washer pump. If anything I expected the auto tranny behind the Cummins to self-destruct after I drove it off the lot. Nothing doing, it was still running strong when I sold.

I'll buy more DC vehicles in the future. They have some bad-ass looking cars out now. I really dig the Chrysler 300 and the Ram SRT-10.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:35:25 PM EST
That sucks!!!!

I am thinking of buying a new Grand Cherokee.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:39:47 PM EST
did you know that the next thing the thier bringing out right after they drop the warranty
HEATED tailgates and trunk lids!!!!
you wanna know why?
see below

<­BR>

So your hand don't get cold pushing them fu**ers home
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:45:24 PM EST
I hate Chrysler, but I have to admit I like the looks of several vehicles they've made lately.
Prowler
Viper
The new Magnums
The first year they made pickups look like Kenworths. (Even enticed my beloved Ford to alter the big/boxy style I always loved. They're getting back to bulky again now though, which makes me happy).
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:27:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By Scollins:
If you currently have the 7/70 powertrain, you get to keep it. What they are doing is phasing it out for NEW car sales.

I've owned the following DaimlerChrysler vehicles over the years:
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 Sport (bought new. sold at 20,000 miles with ZERO problems. Wanted 4x4.)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 (bought used after the Ram for the 4x4. Sold at 65,000. Only problem was cracked exhaust manifold that DC fixed for $100. Total bill would have been $500. Sold because I needed better towing capacity.)

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel (bought used with 100,000 miles, sold at 125,000 miles. Had a baby, and the regular cab needed to go.) NO problems with this truck at all, even after cranking up the power on the motor.

2003 Dodge Durango R/T (bought new right after the Ram Diesel. 17,000 miles with two problems. Rear window washer pump was bad from day one, and the water pump started leaking. A little miffed, but it was fixed quickly. No other problems.) Still have it, love it.

2003 Dodge Caravan (company car with 51,000 miles on it. I drive it about 20,000 miles a year "like I stole it" and it has had no problems. I wish it did, I can't wait to get rid of it. It is a mini-van for god's sake!!)

So, out of a total of 5 DC vehicles, with a total of 278,000 miles driven, I've had one bad water pump, a cracked exhaust manifold and a bad washer pump.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be it took 5 DC vehicles to get you through 8 years.

Drive a car for 10 years and then tell us how it held up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:36:14 AM EST
They already did on the Viper and Viper-based RAM SRT-10.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:55:53 AM EST
There are 3 Chrysler vehicles in my driveway right now.

All three run just fine, thank you.

All three have run just fine for many miles. Over 240K between the three of them.

The only time I have really had problems with them is when I let an incompetent Chrysler service department touch them. My 97 Intrepid went in to the dealer to do a normal 60,000 mile service (tuneup, etc...) and they actually let it leave with 1 cylinder not firing at all and another missing often. Their answer to this was that I suddenly needed a new timing belt.

Ugh.

I also owned a 1979 LeBaron that was a complete lemon.

My Grandfather owned a 1977 New Yorker that still survives though he has passed away.

Bottom line?

Anyone can make a lemon. Certainly some makers make more lemons than others, but having been in the parts buisness for a long time, GM cars needed a heck of a lot more parts than the Chrysler cars ever did.

If you buy a Chrysler today odds are you will get a decent vehicle. And if you care for it properly, odds are it will serve you well for a long time.

If, however, you mistreat the vehicle by dogging it constantly, or by refusing to do necessary things like changing the transmission fluid (you mean there is fluid in the transmission?) or by putting the WRONG KIND of transmission fluid into the vehicle (you mean there are different kinds of tranny fluid?) or by refusing to do the other regular maintenence things that a car requires, you WILL experience vehicle meltdown prematurely.

One woman I saw recently was complaining that her Dodge was a total piece of crap and was always breaking. I looked at her car and it was covered in a layer of crud 2 inches thick, including what looked to be some type of manure. The engine compartment (once she finally located the hood release. She had never used it.) was full of leaves, sticks, and and a stench that was terrible. When I asked her when her last visit to the dealer was, she replied "The damn dealers just rip you off. I take it to my cousin Bubba who works on cars".

Bubba, of course, doesn't work on cars so much as he breaks them using a socket wrench. I happen to have known who Bubba was because I sold parts to him years and years ago. He was the guy who showed up constantly wanting a warranty replacement on the Autolite sparkplugs we sold because they "weren't worth sh*t". One day I went outside to look at his engine. He had a 305 Chevy engine with a 750 CFM carb on the top of it. The carb was adjusted to be wide open, which explains why his plugs were fouled and looked like he had buried them in the back yard. He needed it adjusted wide open, you see, because he needed the extra horsepower.

Attempting to explain to him that a 200 horsepower 305 requires a much smaller ammount of gas than say a 700 + horsepower NASCAR race engine (they also use 750 CFM carbs) was futile. Apparently "college boys" like myself didn't know "shit" about cars. (the laws of physics, it seems, do not apply to beat up chevy blazers and trailer parks) I guess the ASE patch on my shoulder was meaningless in Bubba-land.

Anyhow, the woman with the Dodge went around probably telling everyone what a lousy piece of sh*t her Dodge was. And lots of people probably believed her. Never knowing that the Dodge was the only one worthy of complaining for having such a dipstick for an owner and for being molested by a jackass with a socket wrench and a Mr. Fixit fantasy.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:57:35 AM EST
now there is NO reason to buy their junk
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:57:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be it took 5 DC vehicles to get you through 8 years.

Having 4 drivers in the house makes it mighty difficult to have one car.

And try as it might, I just don't think my Intrepid is going to be any good at towing cattle trailers.

So it would seem that people have legitimate needs for more than one car, and that perhaps this is why the poster you quoted has purchased more than one vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:17:45 AM EST
Very odd when Daimler-Chrysler's Hyundai and Mercades divisions both offer 100000/10year warranties

Daimler does not own Hyundai. Hyundai is rich enough to buy Daimler if they wanted to. Hyundai also owns Kia. The warranties are fantastic. The quality of my Kia Spectra is very good. I can own my vehicle during the payment period without getting dinged for a transmission or engine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:42:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 3:45:01 AM EST by QuantumPion]
I recently bought a 2003 Sebring coupe at carmax and it drives like a brand new car. No problems with it so far.

Before it, I had a 2000 Neon that hasn't had any major problems in 70,000 miles. Only belts and such have needed replacing. There was an issue with the air conditioning not working, but it turned out to just be a minor electrical fault. And I beat that car to death when I was driving it in college. I constantly r evved the engine to > 5500 rpm at every stoplight, lol. I always got oil changes every 2500 miles though. Now my little brother is learning to drive on it.

oh yeah before the Neon, I was driving a 1988 dodge aries. man that thing was a POS, lol. odometer only had 5 digits on it, spedometer only went to 85. It managed to live 12 years though before we junked it. It had some problem with the fuel system where it would just stall for no reason on the highway, which got me into a couple sticky situations driving in rush hour traffic in the DC area (imagine trying to pull over 5 lanes on the beltway with no power steering or brakes in heavy traffic, and then having to wait for a tow-truck in Anacostia, which is highest crime area in the whole country).
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:50:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:56:29 AM EST
people buy quality, not warranties.

Look at it this way...if every car manufacturer dropped their warranties entirely, what would you buy?

Probably a Toyota, but the big 3 would be out of business for sure.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:58:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By giacutter:
First, last, and only dodge/chrysler I owned would have bankrupt the company by itself if it had had the 7/70K warranty.

The two I've had were virtually maintenance-free other than routine stuff and accidents.

#1: Twelve years, 171,000 miles, while I had it -- and still going for its second owner now after three more years.
#2: Three years, 25K miles, not much of a baseline yet but no problems either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:03:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 4:03:52 AM EST by johnnyrebel]
well my 03 ram truck wasnt the best....never will buy another
here is a LINKto what happened

this is what i bought yesterday

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:15:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
Look at it this way...if every car manufacturer dropped their warranties entirely, what would you buy?

Not on your fucking life. Some of us still value American, ah never mind.

Some of you guys kill me, such patriots, until it comes to an advertising campaign. Then as gullible as a teenage girl.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:40:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
This has nothing to do with the price of cotton for Chrysler is bigtime selling their extended warrantees and the combination of 3/36 and 7/70 has cut into those sells hard.

All this means is you will get the 3/36 and then they will push selling you the extended.

I was suckered into two of the 80K extended warrantees and never used a dollar on either.

Tj

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:06:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By CavVet:

Not on your fucking life. Some of us still value American, ah never mind.

Some of you guys kill me, such patriots, until it comes to an advertising campaign. Then as gullible as a teenage girl.

what is it that they say about a fool and his money?

do you value that American "quality" CavVet (which by any empirical measure is lacking compared to a Toyota) or do you just like waving a flag?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:16:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 5:18:28 AM EST by CavVet]

what is it that they say about a fool and his money?

That he will spend it to help the trade deficit grow bigger.

do you value that American "quality" CavVet (which by any empirical measure is lacking compared to a Toyota) or do you just like waving a flag?

As I have said before, and as many others here have said. I only buy American, and I have had one major quality issue through the years, and it was design limits combined with (race car) driver error.

So the question is, do you just like desecrating our flag? Are you that much of a liberal you too hate America?? Have you fallen for the PR campaign that their shit is that much superior to our? Let me tell you, if it moves it breaks. Period. Either one. Once our companies move, we are broke. Enjoy your import, rationalize at will.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:16:49 AM EST
Figures.

Just one step further I take towards Toyota.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:23:38 AM EST

I had a 1992 Hyundai. At 60,000 miles it needed the engine and front end rebuilt.

I can't imagine a poorer quality car. My dad had a Renault Le Car (R5 for you Euros) and it was FAR FAR better!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:26:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By MonkeysUncle:
My dad had a Renault Le Car (R5 for you Euros)

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:30:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By CavVet:

Originally Posted By MonkeysUncle:
My dad had a Renault Le Car (R5 for you Euros)

www.allhatnocattle.net/clinton%20hands%20up%201.jpg

I hate to break it to you, but Chrysler is not American. Nor is Toyota foreign. Chrysler is owned by Germans and Toyota has plants in the US to produce cars.

It is no longer as simple as a brand name.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:38:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:50:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:58:03 AM EST
We'll buy them anyway because they have Hemis in them...

Americans don't vote with their feet very well. We bend over and take it just to have the trendy vehicle.

I'm sure they're so reliable you won't need a warranty...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:05:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Like it or not guys the value of a vehicle is in the TOM, total operation and maintence, which is in dollars.

The US manufacturers reached parady with the Japanese manufacturers in the mid-90's and since then the Japanese have lost ground substantually.

In simple terms, it cost more for the Japanese vehicle up front and though it may need one repair to three compared to a similar American vehicle, the one repair costs more than three on the American vehicle.

There's a difference between actual quality and perceived quality. The Japanese companies have beaten crap out of the American companies in this regard and are now taking fincial advantage of it. Their service centers treat you with the upmost respect as they rape you pocket book.

The most part all the manufacturers make a decent commuter vehicle but if you want something for severe duty, work or offroad, you are far better off with something you can fix inexpensively or is heavier built or as Ford puts it Tough.

I like cars and have both Japanese and American vehicles. I am not influenced by trends but by specifications, history, and performance.

IMHO, the real fool is someone who makes a major fincial decison based on a trend or slick marketing or image instead of buying what best fits his application.

Tj

They should factor inconvenience and headache into the TOM, not just the direct cost of repairs.

I had an s-10 blazer. It was in the shop once a month once it hit 100k
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:30:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:35:25 AM EST

Those divisions have competent designers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:44:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 7:58:28 AM EST by Hoppy]

The last one I had like that was an AMC Gremlin. It was one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned. I drove it for ten years, gave it to a buddy and he drove it for a long time afterwards. I need to call him one day and find out what ever happened to that car.

I also had a Ford 150 that was the biggest piece of shit I ever bought. It soured me off the blue oval forever. A prick on the Chevy sales lot sent me to the Dodge dealer in 94 and we've been happy customers ever since.

Again, the 7/70 warranty was an extra charge, extended warranty which was thrown in as a free item in order to get customers during the lean economic times. The economy is better now so they feel that they don't have to go that route to get customers to buy now. It has nothing to do with the quality of the car as most of the 7/70's were never used in the first place. Selling extended warranties, like the 7/70 is a big profit item for any dealer.

Oh well, ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. There's not a single vehicle sold that has 100% happy customers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:45:41 AM EST
The two Chrysler products we have had was an (IIRC) '85 Plymouth Reliant wagon and an '87 Dodge Aries K. Both ended in the junkyard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:22:52 AM EST

That list of cars spans 10 years actually. DC can't help it if MY needs for a vehicle changed often. I doubt I'll EVER drive a single vehicle for 10 years, I like to get new ones more often than that, even if it is running great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:14:23 AM EST
My current Chrysler (1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee) is my first, and will most definitely be my last...and probably my last domestic until the Big 3 pull their heads out of their asses and start making quality, well-built, solid-feeling vehicles again, which will probably never happen...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top