Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2011 8:11:16 PM EDT
I've been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and am scheduled for surgery (deviated septum, reduce turbinate, balloon sinusplasty) next month. Supposed to help me get rid of these fucking infections! I am good for one every month and a half or so. Antibiotics are becoming useless. I've started using a medi-rinse bottle but I haven't noticed a reduction in the number of infections I get.

Anyone out there have a success story to share?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.livestrong.com/article/351439-gluten-free-diet-for-sinus-infections/

Try gluten free for a week or so.

Details avail. On Internet

My sinuses cleared up quickly
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Replace them with titanium.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The deviated septum post-surgery is major suckage for several days.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The deviated septum post-surgery is major suckage for several days.

Yeah I've heard the shunts and packing are a nightmare. Watched a few videos on Youtube.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A Neti pot is good but I had surgery (septoplasty and osteomy or something like that) and the difference was fucking amazing.  That and tonsil removal were the two biggest positive factors on my overall health and well-being.

I had F.E.S.S. (functional endoscopic sinus surgery).  There are two types, Wiggand and Messerklinger or something like that...I'm probably fucking up the names.  Anyway, one is partial and the other is complete.  Get the complete.  Revision surgery is where shit gets fucked up.  Once the landmarks have changed the next trip in there gets fucked up.  Get a very competent surgeon and get it done right once and for all the first time.

ETA: I feel great all the time now.  During my brief allergy season I take a bit of antihistamine and some decongestant whereas before I needed decongestant to live basically.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I go through a large bottle of 4-way nose spray per week.  Sometimes a little more.

I've had the surgeries you've described 3 times now.  The positive results last me about a year and then the old symptoms come right back to where I was before the surgery.  I've decided it's a cross I have to bear and deal with.  

There are folks on here who can share a success story with you, but I'm not one of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.oreganol.org/oreganol-benefits.html tablets helped my friend out
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A Neti pot is good but I had surgery (septoplasty and osteomy or something like that) and the difference was fucking amazing.  That and tonsil removal were the two biggest positive factors on my overall health and well-being.

I had F.E.S.S. (functional endoscopic sinus surgery).  There are two types, Wiggand and Messerklinger or something like that...I'm probably fucking up the names.  Anyway, one is partial and the other is complete.  Get the complete.  Revision surgery is where shit gets fucked up.  Once the landmarks have changed the next trip in there gets fucked up.  Get a very competent surgeon and get it done right once and for all the first time.

ETA: I feel great all the time now.  During my brief allergy season I take a bit of antihistamine and some decongestant whereas before I needed decongestant to live basically.

Did the surgery help you get better sleep?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I go through a large bottle of 4-way nose spray per week.  Sometimes a little more.

I've had the surgeries you've described 3 times now.  The positive results last me about a year and then the old symptoms come right back to where I was before the surgery.  I've decided it's a cross I have to bear and deal with.  

There are folks on here who can share a success story with you, but I'm not one of them.

That sucks! Sorry man
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, hell yes.  Better everything.  It was night and day.  Improved sleep might have been one of the best things.  Because I could breath easily through my nose again.

ETA: The surgery was in 2003.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, hell yes.  Better everything.  It was night and day.  Improved sleep might have been one of the best things.  Because I could breath easily through my nose again.

I personally cannot wait to get the surgery done. I am at my wits end with this crap. It's affected my ability to enjoy just about everything. Tired all the time, sick all the time, huge decrease in my ability to smell or taste. I want to be well again!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally cannot wait to get the surgery done. I am at my wits end with this crap. It's affected my ability to enjoy just about everything. Tired all the time, sick all the time, huge decrease in my ability to smell or taste. I want to be well again!!

Be very selective with your surgeon.  It will increase the odds that it turns out that way.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It took how many posts to get to...

"Hookers and Blow"

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
An arfcommer posted a nice thread a month or so back about using a neti-pot with Xylitol to fight sinus infections. I reccomended it to my brother who gets sinus infections all of the time that require antibiotics and he hasn't need to take antibiotics since. Xylitol can be bought by the pound at most natural food stores relatively inexpensively. It's definately worth giving a try before going the surgery route. It may just prevent you from having to get the surgery!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a neti pot and that problem will go away. I had sinusitis for most of my life until I got one and starting using it.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I do the sinus rinse. I couln not get the hang of the netti pot doohicky. I use the squeeze bottle. It has made a tremendous difference.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

An arfcommer posted a nice thread a month or so back about using a neti-pot with Xylitol to fight sinus infections. I reccomended it to my brother who gets sinus infections all of the time that require antibiotics and he hasn't need to take antibiotics since. Xylitol can be bought by the pound at most natural food stores relatively inexpensively. It's definately worth giving a try before going the surgery route. It may just prevent you from having to get the surgery!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1163124_Have_sinus_issues__Swing_your_nose_in_here_.html

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I had the same surgery you're getting about 2 years ago.

Worked perfect! I can breathe and have only had a few minor irritations in my sinuses since.

I used to get 3 or 4 bad infections that would invariably turn into a respiratory infection a year.

Surgery was OK. 24hrs post surgery sucked some mad ass. Percosets helped a lot.

When they say take 2 extra before you come in to get the plugs removed. Do it.

Trust me.

BTW: I used to be on a CPAP machine and now I sleep perfect without it. It literally changed my life in that regard. Had sleep studies and dr visits, was always exhausted and dragging, bad moods and blah blah blah.

Now I sleep and dream all night, wake up feeling great with energy.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1163124_Have_sinus_issues__Swing_your_nose_in_here_.html

Whoa! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had the same surgery you're getting about 2 years ago.

Worked perfect! I can breathe and have only had a few minor irritations in my sinuses since.

I used to get 3 or 4 bad infections that would invariably turn into a respiratory infection a year.

Surgery was OK. 24hrs post surgery sucked some mad ass. Percosets helped a lot.

When they say take 2 extra before you come in to get the plugs removed. Do it.

Trust me.

BTW: I used to be on a CPAP machine and now I sleep perfect without it. It literally changed my life in that regard. Had sleep studies and dr visits, was always exhausted and dragging, bad moods and blah blah blah.

Now I sleep and dream all night, wake up feeling great with energy.

Great! Hoping for similar results! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top