Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2002 8:46:54 AM EDT
Rudy is a paraplegic friend of mine. He's been in the chair since he was a freshman in college. He's now 53 years old. He was only given 5 years to live following his accident, but he's managed to defeat all odds and live a full life. He's one of my biggest inspirations and this was his Christmas email he sent to several friends. I thought it appropriate to post it here.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

[img]http://www.eatonlink.com/main/uploaded/FreakOnALeash/rudy.jpg[/img]

Dear Friends,

I want to share thoughts and words with you as we approach our holiday season. All too often we get wrapped up in our day to day lives and the passing of one day only serves to greet the next. Soon before we know it another year has come and gone left to memories, With the new day comes the thoughts off all the things we want to achieve and we tend to look at what we shouldn't take for granted. Bottom-line is take nothing for granted. I write this a few hours short of an unwelcome anniversary. That precise moment when the life I took for granted changed forever.

As I grew on my mental playing field I came to realize  my world was such a small speck to the overall picture. In this season we hear "peace on earth and good will towards men'. A fabulous idea however more times then not it is just rhetoric. Sadly collectively as mankind such a simple idea turns rather complex and in a few days we tend to settle back to our "same old, same old" approach to life. We will go back to the day to day life and assume that people just know we think and care for them.

I somehow find myself wishing that every day the world could just stop for ten minutes to be grateful of all the positive aspects more in our lives. There are fourteen hundred and forty minutes to each day and if we stopped for ten to appreciate life it would at least guarantee that every day ten of those minutes we will not have lost sight of "peace on earth and good will toward men"

So with a holiday rapidly approaching my wish for you is that you can carry the festive spirit into the future and know that as often as possible we look to the heavens and say thanks for the gift of life and I just hope we make the best use of it.

I love life, I love you.....thank you for being a friend.

rudy szlavi
View Quote

EDITED TO ADD: If anyone wants to email Rudy and tell him Merry Christmas, his email addy is [email protected]. Be sure to put in the message that you are a friend of Mike (BenDover) & MJ (Tweety). He'd love to hear from everyone.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I only wish everyone here could meet my friend Rudy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll send him a note.  Is it OK to say that I read his note to you?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure thing!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I only wish everyone here could meet my friend Rudy.
View Quote

I think we just did.  [^]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Email sent to Mr. Szlavi.
Thanks BenDover.

I spent a lot of time with a guy who had Muscular Dystrophy while we  were both in HS (Michigan Muscular Dyst Assoc).  The courage and determination that guy displayed has helped me get through many tough times.  And to realize just how easy I really do have it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top