Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2006 11:24:19 AM EDT
SEA-TAC Airport - All 15 Christmas trees inside the terminal at Sea-Tac have been removed in response to a complaint by a rabbi.

A local rabbi wanted to install an 8-foot menorah and have a public lighting ceremony. He threatened to sue if the menorah wasn’t put up, and gave a two-day deadline to remove the trees.

Sea-Tac public affairs manager Terri-Ann Betancourt said the trees that adorn the Sea-Tac upper and lower levels may not properly represent all cultures.

She said that since this is their busiest time of year and they don't have time to add a fair representation of all cultures, her department decided to take down all of the decorations, review their policies, and decide if they need to make a change for next year.

A worker puts away a Christmas tree at Sea-Tac.

"You know, our focus is on customer service, getting our passengers through the airport, and we thought if we could take the trees down and avoid litigation because we don't want to littigate with this individual, we want to reach some kind of solution," Betancourt said. "But that is going to take some thoughtful discussion and we would like to have time to have that thoughtful discussion."

Until then, no Christmas decor at Sea-Tac.

The same decorations have been put up for at least 10 years, she added.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]

The Jews really DO control everything!  

Why not just put up the one damn menorah, and then keep the 15 Christmas trees?

Then again, if they did that, then any nutjob with some religious holiday could demand their particular kooky festival should be 'honored'

Bummer - I like Xmas trees
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have added additional decorations to my front yard and set the timer to all day on.

Good job Raabbi with you threatening a lawsuit. You can't purchase PR like this stuff.

If there was a crucifix or nativity up I might understand the candle argument. There wasn't. He is a simple dick.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if the Rabbi is related to Jessie jackson?
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Who gives a fuck what one guy thinks, I am getting tired of this PC bullshit. It has ruined our once great country.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, we conservatives believe on the premise that this country was founded on Judeo - Christianity principles, so I think the Rabbi has a valid point  

ETA:

Quoted:
I have added additional decorations to my front yard and set the timer to all day on.

Good job Raabbi with you threatening a lawsuit. You can't purchase PR like this stuff.

If there was a crucifix or nativity up I might understand the candle argument. There wasn't. He is a simple dick.

I see your point.  Christmas trees are not really religious symbols per-se.  I am really upset about this, too.  I grew up with Christmas trees and "Merry Christmas" (not "Happy Holidays") as the Holiday cheers.  Political correctness is ruining this country.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#8]
It's Christmas fer chrissakes.

I celebrate it, just like most Americans.

I do not remember ever seeing in the Bill of Rights where someone has the right not to be offended.

I get offended everyday when people come into my Country illegally.

I get offended when people refuse to speak English (whether they are illegal, legal non-immigrants or immigrants) and want us to accomodate them.

I get offended when people are too fucking lazy to get a job and suck off the tit of society.

Maybe I should threaten a lawsuit?

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
oh the irony
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I do not remember ever seeing in the Bill of Rights where someone has the right not to be offended.

I get offended when people refuse to speak English (whether they are illegal, legal non-immigrants or immigrants) and want us to accomodate them.

I get offended when people are too fucking lazy to get a job and suck off the tit of society.

Bad idea, you would be a racist and offend minorties
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this the same asshole who bitched because he had to vote at a Christian church?
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't think the basis of a lawsuit by the rabbi would be based on being "offended" - I imagine it would be based on the PUBLIC FUNDING (assuming the airport is not privately run and funded) going towards the celebration of a holiday from one particular religion, but not those of other religions.  If the airport is built/operated with public money, then it could potentially be vulnerable to such a lawsuit.

However, I do see lots of airports with Christmas trees - including the huge spectacular tree in Orlando's airport.  I believe there is the occasional menorah (and possibly other Kwanzaa and other less popular holidays) displayed in Orlando, so they have in part innoculated themselves against this type of complaint.

As courts have interpreted it, that runs the risk of running afoul of the establishement clause in the BOR.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE: airport employees are pissed off about this, and urging customers (fliers) to call the port of seattle and COMPLAINT.  They've (port of seattle) and local news network had been flooded with angry phone calls.  One passenger interviewed on the air even said that political correctness is just going out of control.  I'm surprissed they let him say that on the air.

Finally we're fighting back.  Call Port of Seattle, everybody!
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
If Christmas trees were a Christian symbol I think the rabbi might have a point.  They're as secular as mother's day cards.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SEA-TAC Airport - All 15 Christmas trees inside the terminal at Sea-Tac have been removed in response to a complaint by a rabbi.

What does this guy have against Jesus anyway
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Who gives a fuck what one guy thinks, I am getting tired of this PC bullshit. It has ruined our once great country.

Yup...one communist cocksucking shitstain ruins it for everyine else...

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
There seems to be a minority within the Jewish faith who seem to go out of their way to piss on Christian holidays, symbols and Christians in general. Every year, there is some Jewish person who gets in a lather over Christmas trees, nativity scenes, etc. One year, some broad in Florida got in a tizzy because the minora in front of a court house was not as big as the Christmas tree. I do not get why some Jews seem so intent on fucking with people at Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My friends,

It seems some people get off on being an asshole.

This Rabbi seems to be one of those types.  

Put up the Menorah, and while we are at it, put up a Kwanzaa bush (or whatever it is they use), a camel for the Muslims and Ramadan, a dog for the dog catchers, a cat for the Chinese Restaurant Owners Association and a dildo for the Gay/Lesbian Rights advocates.

I hope that this causes enough of a ruckus that people call to complain, and the Rabbi catches Hell for all this bullshit.

What's next, Muslims suing that we are illegally killing their family members, even though those family members are part of known Terrorist Organizations?
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I would like to see a comparison of the amount spent on secular Christmas decorations with the BILLIONS spent every year (of all US taxpayers' money) on the self-proclaimed "Jewish State" of Israel.

They get a whole fricking country with instant citizenship on all Americans' dime. We don't even get a Christmas tree?

Establishment Clause? Yeah right.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
UPDATE: airport employees are pissed off about this, and urging customers (fliers) to call the port of seattle and COMPLAINT.  They've (port of seattle) and local news network had been flooded with angry phone calls.  One passenger interviewed on the air even said that political correctness is just going out of control.  I'm surprissed they let him say that on the air.

From this story the guy is Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky.

Google makes him quite popular.

I think I will send him an email; [email protected]

According to the Rabbits lawyer,

"There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch."

Too late fucker, your client ruined Christmas over a tree and his forcing secular beliefs on everyone. I still dont get the SCOTUS tie between a tree and a Savior.

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If Christmas trees were a Christian symbol I think the rabbi might have a point.  They're as secular as mother's day cards.

Seriously
There is nothing Christian about a christmas tree.
Jesus wasn't born under a Christmas tree.
WTF?

I'm sure he'll be working on Christmas and not taking holiday.  That's the deal.  You want the day off, deal with a couple trees and some bell ringers.

and to Sea-Tac airport officials
GROW SOME BALLS.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Goshem Sporra, Goyem
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm actually kind of surprised that the rabbi pulled something like this.  Usually people that have a faith aren't put off by people showing their faith, even if it's different.  Most of the anti-Christmas BS is done by atheists, who don't want to see anything religious anywhere.

I've worked with and am friends with Jewish people, and they have no problem with Christian holidays.  Heck, they get Christmas trees and give me presents.  Some people are just asses by nature.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1000, It has become nothing more then a joke and waste of time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
[Seriously
WTF?

Then why pitch a fit when someone calls it a "Holiday Tree"?

and to Sea-Tac airport officials
GROW SOME BALLS.

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#26]
So does this mean that every town or city can be sued for having there main
Street decorated ? Is'nt public tax dollars are used for those decorations ?
This Rabid Rabi needs to get a life.                           `
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, if public funds are used to decorate public spaces, as soon as those decorations have any religious connotation (especially if highlighting ONE religious faith and 'excluding' others), there is the possibility of a lawsuit.

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#28]
In heavily-Muslim 'Little Baghdad' in Dearborn, there are Christmas decorations all over the place. Garlands, lights, that sort of stuff. This douchebag of a rabbi needs to remove his head from his ass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In heavily-Muslim 'Little Baghdad' in Dearborn, there are Christmas decorations all over the place. Garlands, lights, that sort of stuff. This douchebag of a rabbi needs to remove his head from his ass.

I believe it is for the Muslim Feast of Sacrifice or Eid al Adha
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#30]
They should've given the Rabbi a Hannukah Tree and let him decorate it however he wanted.

edit... anyone else notice this?

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is at the end of Ramadan, which was October this year.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Long Live Festivous
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the end of the Hajj (annual pilgrimage to Mecca), Muslims throughout the world celebrate the holiday of Eid al-Adha (Festival of Sacrifice). In 2006, Eid al-Adha will begin on approximately December 31st, and will last for three days.

islam.about.com/od/hajj/a/adha.htm
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I wonder if the Rabbi is related to Jessie jackson?

I'll bet he's linked to the ACLU.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I can't believe that the Islamofascists would be able to steamroller the Seatac airport authority like that!

Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously

They're so dumb they must think He lays eggs in one, though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I am heartliy tired of the never-ending "My-Magic-Invisible-Superhero-is-Better-than-your-Magic-Invisible-Superhero" drama queens. The world would be a much better place if we could appreciate traditions for their interesting histories without buying into the superstitions behind them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
We need to start implementing a policy of beating the shit out of people who do things like that.  

I mean,  first, the rabbi for what he did, and second,  the pansies at the airport who caved in to his LUDICROUS demands.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#39]

"There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch."

NO, ASSHOLE, JUST YOU!
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
This asshole has done nothing for the Jewish People but bring bad press and more anti semitism. He did this to furhter his own career and get his 15 mins of fame and shit on his own people. He will probably write a book about it and make milliions or start a religous sensitivinty consultancy.

I wish somone would ask his ass about the millions of dollars spent on his peoples state, inspite of the fact that they activly spy on us. Yet it's an abomination to spend money on a christmas tree and not a manorah.

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the end of the Hajj (annual pilgrimage to Mecca), Muslims throughout the world celebrate the holiday of Eid al-Adha (Festival of Sacrifice). In 2006, Eid al-Adha will begin on approximately December 31st, and will last for three days.

islam.about.com/od/hajj/a/adha.htm

Meh. I was thinking Eid al Fitr. (Per Wikki.) Always a big hoo-haa at the end of Ramadan, but I don't think this 'al-Adha' is a big festive holiday.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#42]
What a great example this leader made for his people.  Instead of looking at this in a postive manner (maybe asking the Port if he could put up a menorah, or whatever), he decided to act like a small minded pissant.  

I bet he has the gall to wonder why a lot a people around the world don't like jews.  Could it be because of dickheads like him?   Nah, couldn't be...it's gotta be something else...
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Meh. I was thinking Eid al Fitr. (Per Wikki.) Always a big hoo-haa at the end of Ramadan, but I don't think this 'al-Adha' is a big festive holiday.

On the first morning of Eid al-Adha, Muslims around the world attend morning prayers at their local mosques. Prayers are followed by visits with family and friends, and the exchange of greetings and gifts. At some point, members of the family will visit a local farm or otherwise will make arrangements for the slaughter of an animal. The meat is distributed during the days of the holiday or shortly thereafter

Not much different from Chanukah or Christmas
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
There seems to be a minority within the Jewish faith who seem to go out of their way to piss on Christian holidays, symbols and Christians in general. Every year, there is some Jewish person who gets in a lather over Christmas trees, nativity scenes, etc. One year, some broad in Florida got in a tizzy because the minora in front of a court house was not as big as the Christmas tree. I do not get why some Jews seem so intent on fucking with people at Christmas.

+1  They have gotten their ass kicked out of every country they have went into.  You think they would learn to be more diplomatic.  Lucky for them our country is filled with people who are assholes to dilute their publicity.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, if public funds are used to decorate public spaces, as soon as those decorations have any religious connotation (especially if highlighting ONE religious faith and 'excluding' others), there is the possibility of a lawsuit.

PUBLIC FUNDS HAVE BEEN USED TO DECORATE OUR NATION'S PUBLIC AREA SINCE THE BEGINNING.  That argument would have no weight in court if a competent government lawer would defend against it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From this story the guy is Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky.

Google makes him quite popular.

I think I will send him an email; [email protected]

www.chaiseattle.com/media/images/157993.jpg

According to the Rabbits lawyer,

Too late fucker, your client ruined Christmas over a tree and his forcing secular beliefs on everyone. I still dont get the SCOTUS tie between a tree and a Savior.

And he would be the first asshole to complain about Anti-Semitism.

Assholes like this guy bring it on themselves.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#48]
How about just deny the rabbi access to the airport.  If he is so offended, he doesn't need to be allowed in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I've worked with and am friends with Jewish people, and they have no problem with Christian holidays.  Heck, they get Christmas trees and give me presents.  Some people are just asses by nature.

+1. In my experience, most Jews go out of their way to respect other faiths, simply because they know what it's like to be persecuted for their own faith.

Prediction: Tomorrow (Monday), the Jewish conservative talk radio contingent (Medved, Prager, etc.) is going to be on this Rabbi like stink on shit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#50]
The Rabbi has a beef with Pagan symbols?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top