BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 4:01:33 AM EDT
Me, thinking about chow

Breakfast $1.95

Lunch and dinner $3.55  Starting tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
and I remember when breakfast was $.75 in 1984............... still a bargain now though..... Ummm SOS.......
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
And it really isn't that bad. I eat with my troops at least once a week during the lunch meal at the DFAC.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Last time I was on Head Count, about 1992, I believe breakfast was $.90 and lunch/dinner was $1.10.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last time I was on Head Count, about 1992, I believe breakfast was $.90 and lunch/dinner was $1.10.

Was that price the last time I was on headcount too....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, last time I did headcount was like 92 at the Fort McNair chow hall in DC.  You guys are making me nostalgic.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, last time I did headcount was like 92 at the Fort McNair chow hall in DC.  You guys are making me nostalgic.

This was the 4th BDE chow hall, Katterbach, Germany. What got me was how the chow hall always gave you a cash box with no change....some guys would get pissed if they didn't get their dime change back at breakfast!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's what I recall back in the early 90's...but now it's free...and still just as bad, LOL.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Does that mean Seperate Rats is gonna go up too?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Me, thinking about chow

Breakfast $1.95

Looks like it's going up about .30 cents a meal.  If I remember correctly, breakfast was $1.60 and lunch/dinner was $3.25.  Schofield Barracks, March '05.

Pretty good deal for breakfast though - I always appreciated Army DFAC breakfasts.  Usually made to order, good selections, and good "comfort food" - an omelet made in Georgia tastes just like one made in South Carolina, or Arizona, or Hawaii, or Bosnia, or Afghanistan etc.....  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
2 pieces of toast, 2 eggs, and cover it with SOS. That will carry you till dinner.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Me, thinking about chow

Breakfast $1.95

Still the best damn deal going for the money...  I am always amazed at the number of troops I see purchasing "breakfast" from the shoppette at 3 times the price when they can hit the chowhall a block farther down the street...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Me, thinking about chow

Breakfast $1.95

Still the best damn deal going for the money...  I am always amazed at the number of troops I see purchasing "breakfast" from the shoppette at 3 times the price when they can hit the chowhall a block farther down the street...

Or even worse, when it's free.

I know I'm a cheap bastard, but lunch has to be pretty bad to not be worth nothing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Breakfast was always one of my favorite meals at the chow hall, but eating there every day can get boring. In my barracks room my buddy and I had a fridge, a two burner hot plate and a coffee pot. We would go shopping together at the Commissary and keep a good supply of food in our room. We would take turns cooking meals that we missed from home, my buddy loved my homemade beef & bean burritos!

The whole barracks would get hungry as they passed our room! It was not an uncommon sight to see us doing dishes in the latrine sinks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
God I feel Old they make you Pay for meals now! I guess I really am an Old Fart!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't remember the prices I charged when I had Head Count!

For the Cherry's around here:

Officers and EM's on Sep Rat's had to pay.
Everybody else had to sign their name on a long form whenever they ate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Everybody else had to sign their name on a long form whenever they ate.

Yep, with one of these!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Me, thinking about chow

Breakfast $1.95

Looks like it's going up about .30 cents a meal.  If I remember correctly, breakfast was $1.60 and lunch/dinner was $3.25.  Schofield Barracks, March '05.

Pretty good deal for breakfast though - I always appreciated Army DFAC breakfasts.  Usually made to order, good selections, and good "comfort food" - an omelet made in Georgia tastes just like one made in South Carolina, or Arizona, or Hawaii, or Bosnia, or Afghanistan etc.....  

No, you have your prices all wrong.  You have been out of the loop for awhile.  Them prices you've quoted are a bit dated by about 2 years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember $0.90 for breakfast circa 1992/93.

Damn..that was some fine eating right there!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wouldn't that be nice?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish they would bump up BAS. We don't have our own chow hall to eat and all I have is a bloody microwave and a small fridge in my hotel "barracks" room.  Bah..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
They charge for meals now?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What now? I remember paying for meals in '64.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I am impressed that anyone could remember the cost of chow.  I'm even more impressed that someone kept his chow card.

I only have my pink ID and a de-commissioned security badge.  I should scan them before they get lost.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They always have.

Like I said; EM's got their meals free; Officers and EM's on Seperate Rations had to pay.
AND Civilians who ate as guests ALSO had to pay.
I remember on Graduation Day in Basic watching some Aunts and Uncles having to pay to eat that one meal in the Mess Hall.  I was shocked that they had to pay.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a civilian but I don't pay for meals, mess is authorized under contract :)  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am impressed that anyone could remember the cost of chow.  I'm even more impressed that someone kept his chow card.

I only have my pink ID and a de-commissioned security badge.  I should scan them before they get lost.

Not my Meal Card, I pulled that pic off the web. I am sort of a sentimental guy, but hanging on to my Meal Card from 20+ years ago never came to mind back then!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I never paid for a meal. Well not that I remember anyways. Just show the card, give last name and last 4 and go eat. I do ot recal any pay deductions.

Maybe because it was overseas? I was stationed in Italy for a while and we didnt have to pay for meals unless you wanted to go to BK.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I never paid for a meal. Well not that I remember anyways. Just show the card, give last name and last 4 and go eat. I do ot recal any pay deductions.

Maybe because it was overseas? I was stationed in Italy for a while and we didnt have to pay for meals unless you wanted to go to BK.

Yea, that’s how it worked for folks in the barracks with a meal card, and as far as I know that was SOP anywhere. Show Meal Card to Head Count, Head Count took down the number and the soldier signed.
Personnel on Separate Rats paid and signed.

Quib
“Scouts-Out!”
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, that’s how it worked for folks in the barracks with a meal card, and as far as I know that was SOP anywhere. Show Meal Card to Head Count, Head Count took down the number and the soldier signed.
Personnel on Separate Rats paid and signed.

www.hunt101.com/img/364569.jpg
Quib
“Scouts-Out!”

Thanks for the info. I never got to experience life outside barracks life.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't that be nice?

Actually, it does..

"BAS" AKA seperate Rats is the exact same amount that it would cost someone to eat in the mess hall 3 times a day for the month.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't that be nice?

Actually, it does..

"BAS" AKA seperate Rats is the exact same amount that it would cost someone to eat in the mess hall 3 times a day for the month.

BAS and  Separate Rations (Commuted Rations) are two separate things.  Officers received BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) which is tied to the cost of feeding a horse, hence being about 2/3 of commuted ration.  While Commuted Rations are tied to the meal cost of in the chow hall.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
It's odd how this topic has prompted me to reply.  I remember working mid-shift (nights) in the late 80s at Grand Forks AFB in ND.  Darned cool working there in the winter, especially when one worked the flightline.  

I recall going to the chow hall at about 11pm for "breakfast."  The couple of cooks (I think they were E-4d or 5s) both took great pride in their omlets and made some of the best - and largest - omlets I have ever had.  They would compete with one another while working side by side.  They always asked how we troops liked the food.  The key to the omlet was their great tasting salsa - I think they supplied their own peppers - and this was important to a lad from CA who couldn't find any good Mexican food within 200 miles.  I was on a meal card at the time so I can't recall the price.  I think it was under a buck for breakfast?  

The chow-hall folks hated getting Canadian coins as they were worth 20-30% less then US.  They were everywhere as we were just a few miles from Canada.  The quarters were tough to distinguish on first glance as the were the same size.

Funny how one remembers experiences like this.

Worked BUFFs - Defensive Fire Control System and B1s -Bomb Nav
319 AMS (Avioinics Maintenance Squadron) 319th BW (Bomb Wing)
Grand Forks AFB, ND 1986 - 1989

Fighter Pilots make movies, Bombers Pilots make history!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top