Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2002 1:19:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Yet more proof that excercise is bad for you.  I'm heading to the couch with a cold one.  No Condroitin for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife has used them for some months now.  I just started taking it last week.  We take both chondroitin and glucosamine and they work well for both of us.  I am at computer all the time and the mouse-clicking was starting to hurt my right hand and index finger joints.  It will take about two months before you feel the full effect, though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My mom took it for bad arthritis.  You could see her finger joints swollen every morning.  After 2 months of taking it 3 times a day, her fingers don't have the big lumps at the joints anymore, and she is in much less pain.

The key her doctor told her is to take a bigger dose the first month or two, basically taking it 3 times a day, then backing off to once a day after a month or two.  Worked for her, and I can see the difference in her hands.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
DK-Prof--

Chondroitin and Glucosamine are GREAT. Check this link [url]www.drtheo.com[/url] for more specific info about the daily recommended dosages and potency testing (too many supplements have nowhere near the amount of glucosamine and chondroitin that their labels claim) of the various supplements.

I was a catcher all through little league and high school baseball, so I have my share of wear and tear on my knees. That said, when I read "The Arthritis Cure" and started taking the supplements, I noticed a HUGE improvement in my joint health.

BTW in order to see positive results, you need to be taking something on the order of 1600mg chondroitin/day and 2000mg glucosamine/day. Also, it will take 6 weeks of taking this amount daily before you rally notice an effect.

It's worked wonders for me, but as always, I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV, and YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve been taking it for a couple of years for arthritis.  For me, at least, it’s not a wonder drug.

It seems to help, but not dramatically.  However, I didn’t have serious problems to begin with, so maybe it’s primarily keeping things from getting worse!

I also notice that I’ve been taking only about 2/3rd’s of the dosage that [b]DJbump[/b] recommended above – so I think I’ll bump (no pun intended!) up what I’m taking.  (Thanks for the thread!)  
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My son and I are taking it, with good results. As mentioned previously, you have to take it for about 6 to 8 weeks before you start to notice the improvement.

coyote3
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I took it for about 6 months a few years ago, but gave up because it was costing me too much money. However, my experience is it did indeed help my knee pain (both knees are running bone to bone, virtually no cartilage left). I found after a few weeks I did not need to take ibuprofen as often, and when I did, I could get by with a smaller dose. So, for me it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top