Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 7:04:17 PM EDT
Here's an intriguing study which opens up the possibility that plant life exists on Mars.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/04/05/mars.green/index.html[/url]

If they do find plant life on Mars I'm pretty sure it would be dandelions from Earth.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Interesting story. We'll have to wait for further confirmation.

Actually, dandelions must come FROM Mars - that's why it's so hard to kill the little lawn-parasites.[:D]

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking at colors in photos and deducing the molecule present is like trying to guess the brand of a bullet by looking at the holes in your target. You might be right... and there's probably some good science in how the paper fringes compared with bullet velocity caused by different brand loads... but at the end of the day it's indirect at best.

More likely some news person was looking over the abstracts and got a little overly excited about a grad student's work somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like another wild goose chase to me. Where is the life form that it would be assoc with. If photosynthesis once ocurred on Mars it is unlikely that it would be via chlorophyll. It would likely be some other molecule. Further, if there was life on Mars at some point, perhaps a billion years ago, there would be no chlorophyll remaining. Absolutely NONE.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
While Mars certainly "could" have hosted life once, and may well do it again, and might just have it on the cellular level now (in the permafrost layer), we need to be careful not to jump the gun.

Remember the Mars Rock?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#5]
"my god...it's full of stars!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, there is only one way to find out for sure...... NASA, power up the boosters, we're going for a little ride!!![;)]

[:D][:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"my god...it's full of stars!"
View Quote

My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Now, guys, come one.  I can think of a least a dozen hardy weeds that could easily withstand the rigors of the Martian landscape.  The artic and antartic here on earth are teeming with life.  Hell, even Hillary Clinton's underwear are alledged to harbor living organisms.  Mars is not such a stretch. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/images/hal.jpg[/img]

[b]"Just what do you think you're doing Dave?"[/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top