Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2011 3:08:41 AM EDT
They are still a long way behind the US but where will they be in 10 or 20 years?

There are unconfirmed reports in Janes that she has be named Shi Lang - Shi Lang is the name of the Chinese Admiral who conquered Taiwan in 1681.

The aircraft carrier left its shipyard at Dalian Port in northeast Liaoning Province on Wednesday morning, Xinhua reported.

"Military sources said that the first sea trial was in line with the schedule of the carrier refitting project," it said.

"After returning from the sea trial, the aircraft carrier will continue refit and test work."

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Apparently they have already laid down domestic carriers as well and want to get into the nuclear-powered fleet carrier business.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There are unconfirmed reports in Janes that she has be named Shi LangSANK

Fixed....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell.... if it was made by the same Chinese contractors who make bridges and hi-rise apartment buildings......

..................................... it'll sink all by itself!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
"A wave hit it."
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hell.... if it was made by the same Chinese contractors who make bridges and hi-rise apartment buildings......

And it'll be empty when it happens
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"A wave hit it."

To be fair..... who'd a thunk a wave would've hit it?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
It makes sense that they want to expand their blue water navy especially when their economic power is on the rise and the same projection of force concept that we have.

The video in the link shows ramped takeoff suggesting VSTOL aircraft like our Harriers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It makes sense that they want to expand their blue water navy especially when their economic power is on the rise and the same projection of force concept that we have.

The video in the link shows ramped takeoff suggesting VSTOL aircraft like our Harriers.

China is developing it's own variant (copy) of the Su-33 called the Shenyang J-15, it first flew in 2009 but probably won't be operational for another 5 years.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"A wave hit it."

To be fair..... who'd a thunk a wave would've hit it?

Just as long as they tow it out of the environment, it's good.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup.

The whole thing fell off.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Made by the same good people who brought you Chinese drywall !!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

China is developing it's own variant (copy) of the Su-33 called the Shenyang J-15, it first flew in 2009 but probably won't be operational for another 5 years.  

The sea trial carrier I see as a platform for them to experiment and get up to speed on carrier operations. I take back what I said about VSTOL. That Flanker variant is one big sucker.

I am surprised nothing big has blown up over the Spratlys.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
How long before the japs float one?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't think they have the money.  Their economy is horrible for >10 years. They also have somewhat of a pacifist culture. Besides the rest of Asia (remembering WWII) would be all up in arms.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
My biggest fear of the Chinese aircraft carrier is who they blame when it sinks. It will sink. China values stealing other peoples' ideas. They don't care if it works as long as it looks good (to them.) Their goods are considered disposable or dangerous. They've become an economic force in terms of quantity, but they can't make a can of cat food or a sheet of drywall.

This is the legacy of communism. Their motto is "Fuck it." They get away with it when they make consumer goods because everyone expects their goods to be junk and avoids them if they expect quality. So they build the carrier Fuck It. It has too many stress points and precision systems. Poorly manufactured systems fail and multiple failures cause catastrophic failure. They can't admit that their military is just as inept as the rest of their country, but they're about to demonstrate it to the whole world. Their reaction will be bad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Japan's constitution only allows then a self-defense force not an offensive navy. They recently launched two smaller through-deck helicopter carrier but describe them as helicopter destroyers. A full carrier would stretch the intent of their Constitution a lot further.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
TAG for when its anchored in a bay and it eventually sinks and cock-blocks the whole bay entrance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
TAG for when its anchored in a bay and it eventually sinks and cock-blocks the whole bay entrance.

"The front fell off..."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I see one answer to this problem....

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Heres a picture that was smuggled out of China that shows said Aircraft carrier right before she began sea trials.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd love to watch the Chicom pilots try to land on a carrier, it could get ugly.

She's not going to sink though, say what you will about the Soviets, but they built decent ships.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#25]
and that's how it happens

China sends container ships full of unnecessary plastic crap to Wal-Mart and Costco and we send them our money and they build aircraft carriers.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'd love to watch the Chicom pilots try to land on a carrier, it could get ugly.

She's not going to sink though, say what you will about the Soviets, but they built decent ships.

Wouldn't they get trained by the Russians like they normally do?  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Heres a picture that was smuggled out of China that shows said Aircraft carrier right before she began sea trials.

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/aircraft001.jpg?w=600

CVN-68 - they're trying to copy the Nimitz.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

They do. It's called the USN.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It will fail, and their first nuclear carrier will probably cause a huge ecological disaster somewhere.
BTW: the footings on that apartment building look like toothpicks trying to hold up a 4" long 2x4.

A four inch long 2x4 being supported by toothpicks...damn.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't they get trained by the Russians like they normally do?    

Probably, but the Russians are still pissed off about the whole J-11 engine fiasco. Money fixes everything though. I would expect they paid the Russians to train some pilots on board the Admiral Kuznetsov, those guys will be the first to fly off the ex-Varyag. Video's will be taken, and distributed to show how great Communism is, then the new guys will get to find out how to land.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Ah the S.S. Ping Pong Ding Dong has set sail

Bottle rocket's to get the aircraft off the deck no doubt!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#33]
funny that Taiwan just announced their 'carrier-killing' missile with a picture of China's new carrier in flames

link
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My biggest fear of the Chinese aircraft carrier is who they blame when it sinks. It will sink. China values stealing other peoples' ideas. They don't care if it works as long as it looks good (to them.) Their goods are considered disposable or dangerous. They've become an economic force in terms of quantity, but they can't make a can of cat food or a sheet of drywall.

This is the legacy of communism. Their motto is "Fuck it." They get away with it when they make consumer goods because everyone expects their goods to be junk and avoids them if they expect quality. So they build the carrier Fuck It. It has too many stress points and precision systems. Poorly manufactured systems fail and multiple failures cause catastrophic failure. They can't admit that their military is just as inept as the rest of their country, but they're about to demonstrate it to the whole world. Their reaction will be bad.

Keep in mind that they didn't "build" this one.  It's an old Soviet carrier that they purchased, and have been gradually (over MANY years) been getting into seaworthy shape.

I agree that if it had been built in China, it would go the way of the Wasa.  

But, since the Soviet design will keep it afloat, it will be a floating freak-show for years, with tons of mistakes, system failures, crashed planes and fuck-ups.  Eventually, it will embolden them to build their own, and that will be when things really get funny.  

I like you.  You're such a ray of sunshine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sea trial carrier I see as a platform for them to experiment and get up to speed on carrier operations. I take back what I said about VSTOL. That Flanker variant is one big sucker.

I am surprised nothing big has blown up over the Spratlys.

This is a single modified version of a carrier class that wasn't exactly a screaming success in Russian service.

Its nothing to make you run and learn Cantonese or anything....

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They don't call them "carriers"  - they call them "helicopter destroyers" or some such....

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1, I bet a <85% pilot survival rate for their first cruise.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Apparently they have already laid down domestic carriers as well and want to get into the nuclear-powered fleet carrier business.

Link?  I don't think so.

They've spent YEARS getting this thing they got from the Russians working. It will be several more years before it actually is operational, if it ever becomes so.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Well the news is being reported by the "state run newspaper" so I'm sure its 100% accurate with no journalistic liberties
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?  I don't think so.

They've spent YEARS getting this thing they got from the Russians working. It will be several more years before it actually is operational, if it ever becomes so.

Washington Times

It's no secret they want them, but they are being very quite about construction. Easier to coverup delays if nobody knows for certain they are being built IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

like bugs on a windshield
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#43]

So why would the Chinese be increasing their military budget 15% year-over-year for the past decade?  What do they need to do now, that they didn't need to do 12 years ago?

http://news.yahoo.com/troubled-waters-why-chinas-navy-makes-asia-nervous-015604003.html

Check out these photos of their huge military celebration a couple of years ago...one thing comes to mind....  Sieg Heil!

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1927172_1957012,00.html

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#44]
First photo of the engine room posted on line!

Moh Stem!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"A wave hit it."

It wasn't a wave, it was Godzzera...on no wait....that was Japan!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#46]
The People's Liberation ARMY Navy ... LOL     What a friggin' joke. It will never be able to project power. They don't have any ASW experience. In conflict, it will make a fine artificial reef.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#47]
11 Aircraft carriers. France is closest with 2. I love it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They are still a long way behind the US but where will they be in 10 or 20 years?

Well, since it takes about 7 years to build a US carrier, I'd say they'll be busy building their second identically spec'ed carrier in 10-20 years.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They could just buy one of the old CV's
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?  I don't think so.

Washington Times

It's no secret they want them, but they are being very quite about construction. Easier to coverup delays if nobody knows for certain they are being built IMO.

Doesn't appear they've actually laid down anything yet...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top