Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 4:09:55 AM EDT
Total prohibition on the private ownership of firearms...and the main (only?) method of capital punishment is death by firing squad.

Mull that one over for a minute or two.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Total prohibition on the private ownership of firearms...and the main (only?) method of capital punishment is death by firing squad.
Mull that one over for a minute or two.

That part might not would be that bad to use here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
In China, guns are tools for those in power for use against those with none. Just the way the liberals in this country would like to have it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget, the criminal groups in China still have firearms too. The only ones really without them are ordinary civilians.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't forget, the criminal groups in China still have firearms too. The only ones really without them are ordinary civilians.

I'd actually be really interested in seeing some statistics on crime in China.

From what I understand, it's actually quite low, with violent crime in particular being far less than other countries...

That is, at least, what has been suggested to me by those living here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd actually be really interested in seeing some statistics on crime in China.

From what I understand, it's actually quite low, with violent crime in particular being far less than other countries...

That is, at least, what has been suggested to me by those living here.

And where did those people get thier information?  Most likely from the Chinese gov't that controls what they want people to believe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
"And where did those people get thier information?  Most likely from the Chinese gov't that controls what they want people to believe".

Well, how about some first hand knowledge then.

I spend quite a bit of time over in Beijing.  I import and sell a few products that are manufactured in Beijing and take frequent trips over to the city.

That being said.  Crime is almost nonexistent (beyond simple petty theft like pickpockets but that is still very rare in and of itself).

I have spent many a night walking through the cities sidestreets and have always been far safer doing that then what I would have been walking through New York city.

It though, has nothing to do with laws (which are very harsh).  It is the culture.  The pride in one's self and ability to accept their station in life which keeps them from participating in crime (which is so at odds with my experiences in the "civilized" Europe, where at every chance someone is either trying to rob you or rip you off).

This is a picture from one of the night time rambles I did exploring the city (also notice the absolute and complete lack of litter or trash (that street is as clean as my kitchen floor), while governmental pollution in the environment is mind numbingly bad, the people do not litter).

http://i14.tinypic.com/34pcimv.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top