Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 2:43:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Our dollars bought and paid for that win for them.  Walmart rejoices!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
<certain arfcom members>Its just like airsoft...they should shoot real guns! </certain arfcom members>

So....which kind of air rifle is that?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried that stuff once. I didn't much care for it. The funny jacket, the funny rifle, all of it.

It didn't feel like "shooting" to me.

Also, and I was with a college team, I swear I got muzzle swept at least three times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats, Du Li!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
<certain arfcom members>Its just like airsoft...they should shoot real guns! </certain arfcom members>

www.carl-walther.de/englisch/sport/sport-11.html

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet none of us could outshoot her.  Real gun or not she is a true marksman.  The winter verison is much more interesting.  Nothing skiing your ass off in subzero weather and trying to shoot some targets.  Those guys are amazing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.carl-walther.de/englisch/sport/sport-11.html

www.carl-walther.de/images/lg300_gross_2649756.jpg

Cool.  thought it was one of those, but wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet none of us could outshoot her.  Real gun or not she is a true marksman.  The winter verison is much more interesting.  Nothing skiing your ass off in subzero weather and trying to shoot some targets.  Those guys are amazing.

Biathalon is the shit.

And yeah, it might be a kiddie rifle but the real skills are being able to switch to an alpha state and things like that. This girl could probably shoot the shit out of a .223/.308, etc.

Kiddie rifle?

Did a quick Google.  Looks like it's a 1,500 Euro "kiddie rifle".

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Shit thats a lot of ARs!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot NRA smallbore in HS which is .22 at 50ft.  I was ok for HS with a 260/300 average nothing great but ok for our area.  Anyway out of my now casual shooter friends I am by far the best shot just from the mere fact that I shot 1 - 2 hours every day for 4 years so I have fundamentals.

These shooters shoot 1195/1200 or something like that and I have no idea how they do it,....lots and lots of practice.  Any of the shooters at that level are excellent shots and the skills transfer.

At the local club they have a summer biathlon series which is a 5k run and three shooting stations.  Hell I thought I would be ok at it since I can run and I can shoot, I didn't think that that many were competitive at both.  Anyway I checked the times and people were finishing with sub 18 minute times with the shooting stops.  So I have to practice both more now.

Competitive shooting is good for shooting in general be it air rifle, small bore, pistol, shotgun, or HP.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Our dollars bought and paid for that win for them.  Walmart rejoices!

Yeah, and they'll be using that ability to shoot at us next!

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
That thingy looks like it shoots RUBBER BANDS
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biathalon is the shit.

And yeah, it might be a kiddie rifle but the real skills are being able to switch to an alpha state and things like that. This girl could probably shoot the shit out of a .223/.308, etc.

Those guys are true athletes.  I remember during Special Forces selection I thought I could run a pretty fast two miles. While running some guy just cruised right on by me, like I was walking. My ego was bruised. Later I asked about the guy. Turns out he was a silver medalist in the Olympic Biathalon.
Made me feel better.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a German coat AND rifle - even the Chinese know their own crap is JUNK.

I competed in Smallbore and Air Rifle for over 7 years - before life took over, I could literally think my heart rate slower.  I lack that discipline or focus now, of course - beer and caffeine make life so much more fun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biathalon is the shit.

Those guys are true athletes.  I remember during Special Forces selection I thought I could run a pretty fast two miles. While running some guy just cruised right on by me, like I was walking. My ego was bruised. Later I asked about the guy. Turns out he was a silver medalist in the Olympic Biathalon.
Made me feel better.

I competed in biathlon.  It impresses and humbles to witness what these strong athletes can achieve.

Congrats also to that Chinese woman.  It doesn't matter where you come from.  The real champions always sort themselves out from the rest of the pack.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure she can outshoot us all on the 10m line. "We are at the fifty yard line people"!

Lets see how she can do with the giggle switch set to fun and forty guys on either side of her putting lead down range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I bet with a little experience she would still outshoot most of us.  She has an innate talent that most of us dont.  Her skills most likely will transfer to most firearms.  Its interesting that some of the top shooters are women.  The top archers in the olympics are women as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I bet she's a member of the PLA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a couple of Feinwerkbau 603's for my Marksmanship class.  They should be here this week.  I'll post a range report when I get them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The real reason she did so good is because if she failed, they would shoot her and her family.
Thats good motivation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

steyr, you mentioned alpha state...i'll bet you could do well at competitive rifle competitions. the zen state required for excellence is unlike any other sport i've attempted. my coach brings in a lady that's into the mental side of the game and she is very much a plus for the team.

the biathletes go from a heartbeat of near 170 in their target zone while skiing hard to 50-60 for their shooting zone in seconds...simply amazing.

Most practical martial art I ever studied was kendo. Besides the same goal of achieving alpha states it has true intention. In kendo, if practiced properly you are trying to kill your opponent. Your mindset is far more true than in any controlled contact / point sparring training of other martial arts.

Also zen breathing exercises are useful, I can drop my heartrate dramtically in about 20 seconds. The down side is my breathing patterns have been so completely altered that I have rendered every polygraph I have ever taken in the last 10 years inconclusive. They have to pass me.

I posted the basic breathing exercise used to lower heart rate on a topic here...

OK, Want To Know Some REAL Ninja Stuff...?  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=254795

While I don't subscribe to most M.A. I have tried breathing excersize before and they really work. I think I had an "out of body experience" once while doing them. I've been wanting to try some again to help manage stress and blood pressure but really hadn't checked into it so thanks Stery for the info!

Oh yeah, I "tried" Kendo once and it is as you said. It is a very useful art that is simulated combat. There is a very good master here that teaches for free (also Judo) but it was just to damn tuff on my feet!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The reason so many of us semi-southern boys were so good when qualifying at basic trainning was because we had all grew up with every Dasy rifle ever made!

We had lever Red ryders,double barell cock actions,one pump pumps!  And even Bingiman pumps!

We could shoot birds on the wire,on the ground,and on wing with little effort!

It all transfers over to real rifles, lead ,windage and such!!

I'll bet there are a lot of people here that could shoot just as good with the right equipment!!

Not taking anything away from her performance!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biathalon is the shit.

Biathalon is like training to be james bond.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I shot NRA smallbore in HS which is .22 at 50ft.  I was ok for HS with a 260/300 average nothing great but ok for our area.  Anyway out of my now casual shooter friends I am by far the best shot just from the mere fact that I shot 1 - 2 hours every day for 4 years so I have fundamentals.

Similar story here.

I shot NC Hunter Safety, .22s at 50 ft, in high school (worked my way up to a196 or 197/200 average).  Shot NRA YHEC two of those summers, which was 4x scoped .22s out to 75yds (wasn't nearly as good at this, more like 230-260/300).  I learned enough fundamentals there, that I can pick up all sorts of rifles now and most of it still crosses over.  

People underestimate how much you can learn from a .22 or air rifle can help your shooting.  

edit - I was going to buy a semi-real deal target .22, but none of the local ranges have matches for them, so I wouldn't really have any close-by competitions.  My college doesn't have a team either.  But if Team USA doesn't even medal in any I might have to buy one
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
as was stated above, the girl got game.

Yep. That woman will be a red army sniper when China overuns Taiwain.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'll bet there are a lot of people here that could shoot just as good with the right equipment!!

Bob

The best equipment in the world will not make you a better shooter. When i was active in competitions my best friend came into some money and went out and bought all new stuff. brand spanking new leathers, anschutz 2013(this was right when they first came out) new everything and it was all the best stuff you could get at the time. you know how much better his scores got? zero. after he got everything set up and was used to everything his scores leveled out at exactly the same as they were with his old stuff. I have heard the coaches of the national team say that shooting is 90% mental and 10% everything else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Bob

I doubt it -

and yeah, you are.  Then again, I hear it every 4 years, and have seen it hundreds of times on hundreds of ranges.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bobhr

I doubt it -

and yeah, you are.  Then again, I hear it every 4 years, and have seen it hundreds of times on hundreds of ranges.

+1

I shot with Matt Emmons (9th Place Men's Air) on the same college team.  I can count the number of times I beat him on less than half of one hand and those times were never in an actual competition.  He did have better equipment than I did but that didn't matter because a few times we switched rifles and shot.  He and people like him have a natural ability to shoot well, for example at the US qualifiers some one trying to make the team took what might have been a screwdriver to the inside of his action and made the gun unshootable.  He wound up qualifying for prone and 3-p using some one elses rifle without any extra practice.  I can't even imagine what that would be like.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

I doubt it -

+1

I shot with Matt Emmons (9th Place Men's Air) on the same college team.  I can count the number of times I beat him on less than half of one hand and those times were never in an actual competition.  He did have better equipment than I did but that didn't matter because a few times we switched rifles and shot.  He and people like him have a natural ability to shoot well, for example at the US qualifiers some one trying to make the team took what might have been a screwdriver to the inside of his action and made the gun unshootable.  He wound up qualifying for prone and 3-p using some one elses rifle without any extra practice.  I can't even imagine what that would be like.

great post.

I am a huge fan of matches where people use off the rack weapons and only the provided ammo.  That way, nobody can blame the equipment.

I used to get a kick out of competing at Perry as a junior with my raggedy as gear and rifle - and stomping the PISS out of som many shooters in the guchi coats and latest model anshuts rifles.

It aint the equipment.  Sure, if a world class shooter might gain a slight percentage more consistency or stability with a top of the line rifle and gear - I don't fault them for pursuing it.  The fact is though, the difference is miniscule - but at THAT level such a miniscule difference can separate first place from 4th!  To think that that gear got them to that level is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Beware. Air rifle shooter usually make very good rifle shooters.

I don't think, personally, that this skill would carry on over to the 600 yard line. That is something that comes naturally for a select few.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Beware. Air rifle shooter usually make very good rifle shooters.

I don't think, personally, that this skill would carry on over to the 600 yard line. That is something that comes naturally for a select few.

The first time I shot 600 yards I outshot everybody on that range - including many veteran highpower shooters.  I had only shot smallbore prior to that - and really didn't have the wind figured out yet. (smallbore wind doping at 100 yards is different, but similar enough).

Interestingly, my long range scores dropped as I worked on improving my closer in snap shooting and CQB stuff, and quit shooting smallbore.

Conversely, I have seen many highpower guys quit smallbore and air rifle in frustration, due to the shear , no BS precision required to be competitive.

Any air rifle shooter at that level could be taught wind doping and positions, and get used to the recoil and likely SMOKE most highpower guys.  Her hold, trigger squeeze, sight alignment, breathing, etc. has to be near PERFECT.  Air rifle shooters aim at a target the size of a period, to score an "X" it has to overlap it to a certain degree.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm amazed that the U.S. does so poorly in Olympic shooting sports. I don't have the figures, but I believe Russia, China, Italy, and Germany are consistently better in Olympic shooting  events.

I do know we don't hold any Olympic shooting world records.

Someone find a link (I cant) that shows medal counts from the shooting sports over the years. I'd be curious to see the results.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm amazed that the U.S. does so poorly in Olympic shooting sports. I don't have the figures, but I believe Russia, China, Italy, and Germany are consistently better in Olympic shooting  events.

Someone find a link (I cant) that shows medal counts from the shooting sports over the years. I'd be curious to see the results.

Nancy Johnson won the gold in womens air rifle in Sydney.  While we don't have olympic records we do have several world cup records and world championship records.  US mens have never won a gold in air rifle and I am not sure that they have ever medaled in it ever.

I don't think that we do poorly per se in air rifle this last time the difference between 1st and 11th was around 1/2 inch
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Many moons ago, I used to be pretty good at Olympic Air Rifle. (I was a Feinwerkbau 601 shooter, which puts it back a few years). Even managed to represent Ireland once.

Alas, when I came to the US, I was unable to continue my practise at it, so have dropped down since. (Though I did set a new speed record when I was home in Ireland last Christmas!). There just isn't much support for this sport in something which isn't considered a 'real' gun.

However, just to show you that this is the toughest of all recognised shooting competitions:

The bulls' eye is one quarter of a millimeter in radius. Somewhere about a pixel. That's what you're hitting at 10m. The rifle has iron sights only, and one stands, no rests, no slings or any such. When one takes into account the 4.5mm diameter of the pellet, one must hold the rifle accurate to twelve thousandths of a degree off the center line in order to hit the bull's eye. Shows you just how amazing the central nervous system is.   The winner of the men's competition did this 60 consecutive times in the preliminaries.

The good thing about it is that if my hallway is 10 meters long, I can possibly set up a range and start practising again if I go shopping.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#43]

you sure about that.......www.usolympicteam.com/73_8852.htm

Jason Parker is the air rifle world champion and he is on the Army Marksmanship Unit.......interestingly enough he is also the 300M standard rifle national champion, seems the skills do cross over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top