Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/5/2009 12:26:07 PM EST

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — A Connecticut woman mauled and blinded by a chimpanzee is seeking to sue the state for $150 million.

Attorneys for Charla Nash's family filed a notice Wednesday with the state's Office of Claims Commissioner asking for permission to sue the state.

The 200-pound chimpanzee named Travis went berserk in February when his owner, Sandra Herold, asked Nash to help lure him back into her house in Stamford. The animal ripped off Nash's hands, nose, lips and eyelids, and she remains in stable condition at the Cleveland Clinic.

A Department of Environmental Protection biologist warned state officials before the attack that Travis could seriously hurt someone if he felt threatened, noting that he was large and strong.

Keep the dough. I'd rather have my body parts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:27:23 PM EST
Denied. Next.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:28:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:28:50 PM EST
The chimp hand is strong.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:31:56 PM EST
Commoners should not be allowed to keep large wild animals as pets.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:32:14 PM EST
Well no wonder she was attacked... she looks like a fucking chimp! Or is that not her picture?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:35:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Um, the state is liable why?

My same thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:38:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By TechGal26:

My same thoughts.

Because the state has money.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:38:30 PM EST

My same thoughts.

Because they have $150 million that no one is using.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:40:33 PM EST

My same thoughts.

+1 Tell that bitch to FOAD

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:41:06 PM EST
She should have brought some bananas along with her.

Those chimps really can mess up humans.

Chris

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:58:53 PM EST
I thought the crazy woman that owned him owned a towing business or something.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:00:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 1:00:44 PM EST by surveyor3]
Originally Posted By Javak:

I'm dieing...my God...soo good.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:07:18 PM EST

My same thoughts.

Because the state had laws governing the keeping of animals such as chimps, and they did not enforce them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:08:32 PM EST

My same thoughts.

Ditto to that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:08:45 PM EST

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:10:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Tall34:

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:13:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By IBU-14_Gunner:

My same thoughts.

Because the state had laws governing the keeping of animals such as chimps, and they did not enforce them.
So the STATE is responsible for eveyone doing something that they know is illegal?

Damn, people have no sense of responsibilty. You break the law you pay the price, don't blame the state for not catching you before you do and making sure you don't.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:13:48 PM EST

When Clyde Barrow (of Bonnie & Clyde fame) was asked by a newspaper reporter why he robbed banks......

He answered "Because that's where the money is".

Next question.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:16:53 PM EST
Why would anyone want to own such a disgusting creature in the first place?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:17:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Denied. Frivolous Lawsuit fees charged. Next.

fixed

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:23:10 PM EST

Vodka all over monitor = I hate you!

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:27:11 PM EST
There may be a little more to the story here. The state may have known she illegally had the chimp and hadn't done anything about it. Like, maybe she works the state. You know how professional courtesy works.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:32:41 PM EST
The chimp had been a problem in the past (escaped and rampaged through a neighborhood or something) and deemed a public safety concern, but the state failed to follow through on existing laws and remove the damn thing. The state definitley dropped the ball when they knew this thing was a ticking time bomb. They'll settle for a much lower sum.

BTW, the owner was banging that monkey.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:13:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 2:56:27 PM EST by ike4014]
I know why. It's classified as a workers comp incident. Chimp's picture was logo for business and stuff. A court ruled she can not sue the owner of the chimp. So she's suing the state. I'll have to find that article.

***edit

He's an article about it. I thought it was ruled a workers comp case. Not yet.

chimp story

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:30:31 PM EST

Because CT. has lawyers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:30:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:33:44 PM EST
I'd rather be dead than her
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:42:33 PM EST
Why is she sueing the state? Did they grant the person permission to own it or something?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:43:41 PM EST
How hard is it to say NO when asked to help catch a psycho chimp?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:44:53 PM EST

My same thoughts.

If thats the case I don't know what to say other than I hope the attorney who dreamed this case up meets a chimp in a dark alley.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:45:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By ike4014:
I know why. It's classified as a workers comp incident. Chimp's picture was logo for business and stuff. A court ruled she can not sue the owner of the chimp. So she's suing the state. I'll have to find that article.

***edit

He's an article about it. I tought it was ruled a workers comp case. Not yet.

chimp story

So she doesn't want to financially hurt her friend who kept a 200 pound monkey that almost killed her.
Okkkk..
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:50:46 PM EST

My same thoughts.

So the STATE is responsible for eveyone doing something that they know is illegal?

Damn, people have no sense of responsibilty. You break the law you pay the price, don't blame the state for not catching you before you do and making sure you don't.

The state knew she had the chimp and let him stay there. It isn't like they found out after the attack.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:52:41 PM EST

***edit

chimp story

So she doesn't want to financially hurt her friend who kept a 200 pound monkey that almost killed her.
Okkkk..

She is suing that bitch too. learn the facts of the case if your going to chime in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:54:57 PM EST

***edit

chimp story

Okkkk..

quote from article........

"It's an unfortunate and tragic accident that happened in the workplace and should be subject to the provisions of the Connecticut workers' compensation statutes," Golger said Wednesday.

Matt Newman, attorney for Nash's family, said he disagrees with the argument but declined further comment.

Under workers' compensation, Nash would have her medical bills paid for by the employer's insurance and would receive partial wage replacement, but would not get any money for pain and suffering that makes up a large part of jury awards in civil cases. Workers typically receive 65 to 75 percent of their wages.

......................That's pretty messed up.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:57:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By storminnorman:

Yep, me too.

"To the pain."
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:00:45 PM EST
The lesson I got out of this?
If you're trying to retrieve a woman's chimp boyfriend, bring a shotgun or rifle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:09:44 PM EST

My same thoughts.

So a person killed by a drunk driving illegal can sue the federal government or a "sanctuary city"?

I don't see how she could sue, since she went over to help capture the animal she knew was there.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:09:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:

BTW, the owner was banging that monkey.

Seriously?

Originally Posted By storminnorman:

Same here
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:13:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By bookertbab:

***edit

chimp story

Okkkk..

She is suing that bitch too. learn the facts of the case if your going to chime in.
The strategy, if successful, would severely limit potential damages in the case and insulate the chimp owner from personal liability

The first line of the article. I haven't been following this, and I read that in the article - why else would you do something to prevent someone from personal liability if you aren't trying to protect them?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:15:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By joker581:
Originally Posted By FreeBear:

When Clyde Barrow (of Bonnie & Clyde fame) was asked by a newspaper reporter why he robbed banks......

He answered "Because that's where the money is".

Next question.

Willy Sutton said that. Clyde Barrow wasn't that smart or articulate.
I don't know about the smart or articulate part.

It is difficult to prove either way but the following letter has been attributed to Clyde Barrow:

Tulsa, Okla
10th April
Mr. Henry Ford
Detroit Mich.

Dear Sir: ––
While I still have got breath in my lungs I will tell you what a dandy car you make. I have drove Fords exclusively when I could get away with one. For sustained speed and freedom from trouble the Ford has got ever other car skinned and even if my business hasen't been strickly legal it don't hurt anything to tell you what a fine car you got in the V8 ––

Yours truly
Clyde Champion Barrow

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:24:18 PM EST

***edit

He's an article about it. I thought it was ruled a workers comp case. Not yet.

chimp story

To be a worker's comp case, the woman who came over would have to be doing so as part of her employment meaning she would have to be being paid to come over or have some other sort of situation such as being on normal working hours when she came over to help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:27:01 PM EST
I felt sorry for that woman,

until now.....

Suing the State because her bat-shit crazy
neighbor's chimp attacked her.....

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:28:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 3:30:02 PM EST by JAD]

The chimp was illegally owned. The state knew about its presence and refused to act. There was a local news story this morning where a state a reporter suggested that a DEP (which is responsible for enforcing that law) official described Travis as "an accident waiting to happen." Still, the state did not enforce the law. I believe that the state should share in the liability (jointly and severally) with the chimp's owner (and possibly the victim, depending on the exact circumstances of what she was told before she showed up)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:29:52 PM EST
Travis the Chimp is the gift that keeps giving.

Definitely AR15.com's 2009 Man of the Year.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:31:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By Thom101:
Why would anyone want to own such a disgusting creature in the first place?

Let alone the other stuff she did with it
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:34:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kharn:
The lesson I got out of this?
If you're trying to retrieve a woman's chimp boyfriend, bring a shotgun or rifle.

Kharn

Lesson #2- When two male chimps fight they often try to remove the opponents penis and gonads. Wear a cup.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:37:28 PM EST
If you need to catch an animal big enough that you can't punt it across the room, bring a gun. If the animal can rip your face and hands off, bring a bigger gun and a couple friends with guns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:37:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By JAD:

The chimp was illegally owned. The state knew about its presence and refused to act. There was a local news story this morning where a state a reporter suggested that a DEP (which is responsible for enforcing that law) official described Travis as "an accident waiting to happen." Still, the state did not enforce the law. I believe that the state should share in the liability (jointly and severally) with the chimp's owner (and possibly the victim, depending on the exact circumstances of what she was told before she showed up)

Did the state force the woman to go help catch the chimp? Or, did she go of her own free will knowing it could get violent?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:38:53 PM EST

A Department of Environmental Protection biologist warned state officials before the attack that Travis could seriously hurt someone if he felt threatened, noting that he was large and strong.
Top Top