Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2016 6:23:26 PM EDT
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/children-turn-in-their-toy-guns-for-real-toys-in-hempstead-event-1.12790023

Hempstead children on Wednesday traded their toy guns and pistols for footballs, dolls and games.

Hempstead village and town officials along with police joined a Hicksville native’s charity in a second annual toy gun exchange to deter kids from playing with toy guns that look like the real thing.

The program was started by Manhattan philanthropist Jean Shafiroff, who chose Hempstead for the second year in a program to deliver toys to local children.

Shafiroff said she chose Hempstead after a series of high profile shootings involving children. Her program is designed not to glorify toy guns to children.

“I wanted children to know toy guns are not good toys,” Shafiroff said. “By exchanging them for a much better gift, it shows a toy gun is not worth having.”

About 100 local kids gathered Wednesday afternoon at Brierley Park in Hempstead to trade in toy guns and accept new gifts. The toys were donated by Shafiroff through the Toys for Tots program, the Hempstead Heights Civic Association and the Hempstead Police PBA.

Hempstead Mayor Wayne Hall said Town Councilwoman Dorothy Goosby handed out toys and both said the program could save Hempstead children’s lives.

“We don’t want them to play with guns and grow up with something else more serious,” Goosby said. “There are so many shootings in this village; they have to stop.”

Organizers said they hope to cut down on the risk of police mistaking a toy gun for a real one.

“We don’t want someone to mistake a toy gun for a real gun,” said Lamont Johnson with the Hempstead Heights Civic Association. “We need to get away from that culture and give children appropriate toys. Hempstead is sending a message guns are not to be played with”

Most of the toy guns handed in were brightly colored, but retailers like Amazon and Wal-Mart have stopped selling toy guns that look too real, Shafiroff said.

Hempstead resident Keisha Daly, 30, brought her daughter to the exchange and said she appreciated the village teaching children not to play with toy guns.

“We need to protect our children. They think guns are cool, but I don’t think it’s cool at all,” Daly said. “That lifestyle isn’t what you should invest in. Hopefully, they realize toy guns are still dangerous.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The best way to turn young children into criminals is to give them footballs and basketballs.  At least that's how it appears.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I read that wrong.  I thought it said they turned their toy guns for real guns.  Thought that sounded great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Another distraction from the real problems our country is facing.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I might just be cynical, but it seems easy make a profit by trading in a bunch of dollar-store squirt guns for some decent toys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
"Hopefully, they realize toy guns are still dangerous.”
View Quote

Did they tell them that the only way a toy gun can be dangerous is when you came across a cop with one?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might just be cynical, but it seems easy make a profit by trading in a bunch of dollar-store squirt guns for some decent toys.
View Quote

Like turning in those Hi-Points and Fruity ARs for $200 gift cards that are used to buy good guns.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]

So ..... it'll be safe for me to walk through Hempstead at night now?

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny, I grew up playing with toy guns.  Lots of them in fact.  I played Army, Cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, etc.  I didn't turn into some madman, I'm not a criminal nor have I or any of my reals gun ever killed anyone or had a negligent discharge.  In fact I spent 30 years in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
A toy gun IS a real toy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

no senor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hahahahaha.
Good luck with that, especially if you are white.
Hemp'ted representin.
I was actually born there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Having toy guns is a lifestyle
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Stuff like this makes me think of the kid in the movie Serial.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Having toy guns is a lifestyle
View Quote

It is around my house.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hahahahaha.
Hemp'ted representin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahahahaha.
Hemp'ted representin.

So, white and blonde is a no-go then?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top