Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2010 10:08:56 AM EDT

STUART — Not only does prison inmate Ricky Silva think the death penalty is too severe for his October confession to strangling his cellmate Terry Bell with a shoestring, but he’s proud of what he did.

And he wants you to be proud of him, too.

“It’s not like I killed an innocent citizen or somebody who was undeserving,” said Silva, 29, of Bell’s Oct. 14 homicide at the Martin Correctional Institution, where both men were serving life prison terms.

“Under my belief system, there’s still some people in the world that need killing and he was one of them,” he said. “I don’t believe I should pay for killing somebody that needed to be killed.”

Bell, 45, was convicted for raping a young Marion County girl after entering her bedroom through a window as her parents slept down the hall, according to Jerry Burford, a former state prosecutor who tried the 1999 crime. Bell left behind a palm print on a windowsill, he said, and Bell’s DNA was found on the victim.

Silva told several investigators he caught Bell masturbating while holding a photo of Silva’s young niece, which prompted the attack.

Convicted of armed-robbery, armed-carjacking kidnapping and other crimes, the former Fort Lauderdale laborer and landscaper serving life in prison was no stranger to violence after twice using a knife during a 2007 crime spree in Broward County.

During an interview at the Martin County jail, Silva recited details of Bell’s death.

“I stepped off the bed, I hit him, when he hit the door he fell to the ground,” he recalled, his voice flat. “I continued to hit him a couple of more times and then I wrapped a noose around his neck and I strangled him.”

Reported dead at 2:40 a.m., a guard found Bell on a bottom bunk lying on his stomach with a black shoestring wrapped around his neck — the other end attached to a metal bed frame.

“If you had kids, you would understand,” Silva later told a prison nurse treating wounds to his right hand. “You should thank me for it.”

Despite confessing to the grisly crime, Silva has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. He said it’s wrong for state prosecutors to seek the death penalty against him.

“I don’t believe I should be punished,” he insisted. “I believe people should be celebrating and clapping their hands.”

Assistant State Attorney Nita Denton couldn’t disagree more.

“He has no respect for human life,” she said.

Denton said based on a stack of confession letters he’s written to her office, sending Silva to death row may be the only way to stop him from killing again.

“He was asking for the death penalty,” Denton said, “and he would continue to kill not only inmates, but the people he came around if he in fact did not get the death penalty.”

Silva in his letters, she said, railed on the prison system and claimed he killed Bell as a message to prison officials.

“I’m tired of the system,” Silva wrote. “They feed us like little kids, they won’t pay us for work … there is no reason for me not to kill again.”

He’d keep killing, he wrote, until correction officials “give back everything they took from us: packages, weights, hobby crafts, paying jobs and three decent meals a day, or until I am dead.”

“I suggest (Bell) be taken as a warning,” Silva threatened, “because next time it will not be a black inmate who is killed.”

Silva, too, was accused by another inmate of killing Bell, an African-American, because of ties to a white supremacist group.

“He stated he’s made it his mission … to murder any blacks he gets access to inside the prison system,” George Warner wrote to prosecutors. “That was his chief motive for strangling his black roommate.”

But in a letter Silva wrote to Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers, the New York native presented himself as a struggling drug addict who was abused by an alcoholic mother until at age 3, he and his sister were separated and bounced from one foster family to another. By age 16, he was alone and often in trouble.

“I had no family,” he wrote, “I started using drugs and by 19 I was an addict.”

By age 27, he was sentenced to life in prison for a series of crimes including breaking into a Fort Lauderdale man’s apartment, forcing him at knifepoint to drive to an ATM to withdraw cash before returning $20 to the victim and stealing his SUV. He was arrested shortly after committing an armed carjacking at a 7-Eleven.

Then, while in prison and suicidal, Silva reconnected with his long-lost sister.

“She sent me a picture of my niece and two nephews,” Silva said. “Here is the family I craved, but never had.”

He kept the photo at the edge of his bed. On Oct. 14, he woke up, saw Bell holding it and went into a rage.

“Here was someone violating the only people I have in my life,” Silva said. “I am not trying to justify murder but if people could see it through my eyes they might understand and hopefully agree I don’t deserve the death penalty.”

Meanwhile, Denton’s not buying it.

“If he had such a hatred of Bell because of the crime he committed, he could have asked to be moved,” she said. “He could have asked to be transferred to another prison.”

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
he needed to be dead
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
my care-o-meter is pegged at zero for Bell.

Some people do need killing
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn but there is a lot of WTF in that story!  After all is said and done I couldn't care less if scumbag 1 wants to kill scumbag 2.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#4]
jesus christ on a pogostick why does all the weird shit happen within 50 miles of me?

chicken nugget melt down - Fort Pierce.  appx 15 miles away.
SBR gunshow bust - Fort Pierce - appx 12 miles away
50+ grow houses - port st lucie - my town
child rapist killing - stuart - 10 miles away

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Inmates.
Doing the jobs our Justice system won't do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
A hero he ain't.  Just another scumbag.  Thank him for freeing up a bed.  Then fry him, and free up another bed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see how you can refuse to prosecute him for it.

I'm also not shedding any tears for either of these guys.  Chalk it up to karma, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A hero he ain't.  Just another scumbag.  Thank him for freeing up a bed.  Then fry him, and free up another bed.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#9]
"Some folks just need killin'  "
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Eh.

Let the lifers take out the other lifers. Less taxpayer money being wasted.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
“Under my belief system, there’s still some people in the world that need killing and he was one of them,” he said. “I don’t believe I should pay for killing somebody that needed to be killed.”

Here, I find myself agreeing with Mr. Silva.  However, in my book, Mr. Silva is one of those peope that need killing as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
"there’s still some people in the world that need killing"

Ive been saying this for years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Two men enter one man leaves...

lather, rinse, repeat
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Eh.

Let the lifers take out the other lifers. Less taxpayer money being wasted.

This,
It should happen more often
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn but there is a lot of WTF in that story!  After all is said and done I couldn't care less if scumbag 1 wants to kill scumbag 2.

QFT

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Ricky needs some good time for this, not less time inside, just some good time, Chomos should get instant death anyway
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm all choked up over this.  Who would have thought prison to be so brutal?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the dead kiddy diddler's mugshot from when he was transferred from the Marion Cty jail:

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#19]
So is this guy now segregated? if not, I bet his next "Cellie" will be a nervous MF'er but who cares, not I
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Awwwww, poor fucker probably suffered too,,,,,,,,,
Ok, that's all the heartfelt sympathy I can allow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Can I send some money to this guy to get him some ice cream or something?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Some folks just need killin'  "

This, I would not vote for murder 1, but maybe man 1.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#23]

“Under my belief system, there’s still some people in the world that
need killing and he was one of them,” he said. “I don’t believe I
should pay for killing somebody that needed to be killed.”

I can't say I disagree with that statement.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Another bad guy deaded.

HH
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like Marv from Sin City...
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Here, I find myself agreeing with Mr. Silva.  However, in my book, Mr. Silva is one of those peope that need killing as well.

Indeed, but since he is low priority, he can continue to do the lords work.

God has a crazy way of dispensing justice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#28]
time off for good behavior? really i figure that the DA processing it would "accidentally" screw up some part of the court case and the shoestring holder cant get retried for murder...
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
“Under my belief system, there’s still some people in the world thatneed killing and he was one of them,” he said. “I don’t believe Ishould pay for killing somebody that needed to be killed.”

I can't say I disagree with that statement.

http://rreloj.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/chavez.jpg http://64bitheadlines.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ahmadinejad.jpg

Yep.  He didn't kill much.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Note to self... if I ever spend time in prison, don't ever jerk off to a photo of my cellmates niece and wear velcro shoes.

Kill'em all.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#31]
He is not a "hero" but if I was the parents of the raped girl I would send the guy a thank you letter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Well, Bye, kiddie rapist.

I like how all the .gov officials are shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that some people do the job they should be doing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Some scumbags are more equal than others.

Good strangle, here's an extra hour a day in the yard.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I will send him 2 cases of smokes. Inmates still use them as cash right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

He is not a "hero" but if I was the parents of the raped girl I would send the guy a thank you letter.

This.   And I'd include a few more shoestrings in the envelope.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#37]
He just saved the taxpayers a lot of money...

We should have killed the rapist before the inmate ever had a chance to...

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Criminals with morals, interesting.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Good choke.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Good shoot strangle.

Here's an idea, that a few of us a work came up with. Lets put all the scum bags (murderers, rapists, misc dirtbags) in a large enclosure. Arm them with knives, or 9mm's (you know, something that isn't too dangerous, like a 45acp
). Let them all take care of them selves. Have just enough guards on the outside to ensure they don't escape. And let Darwin take care of the rest.
Oh, and IBT 9mm vs 45 crowd

IBT"oh my gawd mah baby dint do nuffin" crowd

and IBT "that's terrible, there could be innocent people in jail" crowd
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, these things happen.

Quoted:

I'm betting he won't be getting the opportunity to go on any commissary/canteen runs for a while...

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Criminals with morals, interesting.

They do have them, albeit there is some MAJOR inconsistency with their morals a lot of the time.

It's pretty common for child molesters to have a 'rough' time in the pokey hangey.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Can I pick his next cellmate?  Think of the problems that could be taken care of.  Think of the tax $$ that could be saved.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Good choke.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks Ricky....dont stop there though....off a few more please.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
my care-o-meter is pegged at zero for Bell.

Some people do need killing

+1  

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#47]
i would shake that mans hand he did the world a favor
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Buy that man a Cigar
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, for a career fuck-up, he did one thing right.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Good shoe lacing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top