Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 3:10:02 PM EDT
I am getting ready to go overseas for a year and my wife is staying behind to keep her job to help with bills so I have recently looked into daycare for the first time for my daughter.  My wife doesn't make much....about $1200 a month after taxes and daycare is a minimun of $500 a month around here.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal because she would still be bringing in $700 a month with the daycare expense she would pay but she has a job that has variable hours and 99% of the daycares I have talked to are 7AM-5PM only.  That means my wife's schedule wouldn't work around those hours and she would have to take a cut in pay rate and hours to part time.  That would make the daycare worthless anyway since her paycheck would drop drastically and not yeild a significant profit.

Now that I have decided that daycares think everyone in the world works 7-5 everyday with no exceptions I find out a new funny twist.  I would have to pay all this money for daycare but if my wife quit her job the daycare would be practically free with government welfare assistance.  WTF?  

Sure enough out of work crackheads can get the government to have someone raise their kids for free while they have no income to report or job and you and I pay for it out of taxes.  Funny though I can't even afford to send my own kid so my wife can keep her job.

Shitty!

There are a few girls (12) on base that keep kids but they can only have 2 children under two.  They never have any openings since there is more than 24 children under two years old already being watched by them.

It looks like my wife and I both need to quit our jobs so we can afford a babysitter using your tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I presume you're going over as a mobilization, have you seen what your family readiness folks have availible?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I presume you're going over as a mobilization, have you seen what your family readiness folks have availible?

They do have a solution........the 12 girls on base and the base daycare facility that closes at 5PM.  Both are equally worthless since my daughter has been on the waiting list for the facility for 8 months with no luck and the girls are always full.  Even if she did get in the base facility she could not work nights which would not warrant her keeping her job.

This is the biggest circle of confusion I have ever seen.   The only perfect solution would be a $1700 a month job from 7-4 for my wife everyday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top