Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 4:57:40 PM EDT
Remember when wings used to be a castoff?  Nobody wanted wings.  Now you go into a restaurant and they charge you $5 for 6 or 7 scrawny wings with some hot sauce on them.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good wing.  But geez, how in the hell do you charge that much for something so devoid of meat?  Two or three bites and they're gone.

Sad thing is that people pay these high prices for fucking WINGS!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I make my own Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Geez....anybody else have a hanking for a plate of 3 mile island at Hooters right about now?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Wings are tasty.  Well worth the cost.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Buffalo Wild Wings spicy garlic.... mmmmmmmmmmmmhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I get the boneless though, and it fills me up pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Geez....anybody else have a hanking for a plate of 3 mile island at Hooters right about now?

Now that there is a damn good idea!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Give me the neck anyday!! (yuck)  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Think thats bad?
A few weeks ago I ordered room service in a hotel -- I really thought a nice shrimp cocktail would be a good starter -- it was $8.50 -- oh well... ordered it anyway.

I received 4 (yes -- count 'em FOUR) shrimps, a bunch of green stuff and a bit of cocktail sauce.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember back in the late 80's early 90's, I could go down on campus and get 5¢ wings.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Remember when wings used to be a castoff?  Nobody wanted wings.  Now you go into a restaurant and they charge you $5 for 6 or 7 scrawny wings with some hot sauce on them.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good wing.  But geez, how in the hell do you charge that much for something so devoid of meat?  Two or three bites and they're gone.

Where the HELL are you going that charges that much for wings?  All the bars (read: best places for wings) around here charge $5 a dozen and most of 'em have $.25 wing nights.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine was from Cameroon (That’s in Africa) and he thought it was real funny that Americans would buy chicken wings. They always thought of them as the worst part of the chicken.

We both agreed that the thigh was the best part. There’s a lot of juicy meat on one and they are cheap for some reason. You can cook them like wings if you like, I’ve found that works pretty good but it’s a little messy.

I buy pre skinned chicken thighs (about $2.00 a pound) and coat them with Shake and Bake. Then I add some red pepper to spice them up and give them a light spray with some canned olive oil. They come out really good that way and it’s fairly cheap.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A friend of mine was from Cameroon (That’s in Africa) and he thought it was real funny that Americans would buy chicken wings. They always thought of them as the worst part of the chicken.

We both agreed that the thigh was the best part. There’s a lot of juicy meat on one and they are cheap for some reason. You can cook them like wings if you like, I’ve found that works pretty good but it’s a little messy.

Tighs are indeed the best part of the chicken.  The wing tips are the worst.  All skin & fat & virtually no meat.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I know what Burley is saying.  They *WERE* indeed castoff, and I have often likened the person who convinced us to pay top dollar for them is just below the person that convinced us that we should pay for water in a bottle.

That said, damn but do I love them.  That's why I wish they were still castoff.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmmmmm, chicken wings.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember when potato "skins" were really potato skins.

Somewhere along the line, they just got lazy and started cutting whole potatoes in half.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I make them out of thigh meat, they taste the same but without the bones.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I very rarely buy them. You're right, they're way overpriced. I go to the store and buy two pounds of wingettes for 3 bucks. Then I get the packet of wing mix with the baking bag. Bake 'em for about 45 mins, and BOOYA! A whole meal's worth of wings at a fair price. Good topic!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
mmmmmmmm wings mmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Wings are nasty scraps of skin and bone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
ALL chicken is way overpriced since it became the "in" thing to eat for health reasons!  Boneless skinless breast used to be a couple bucks a pound, now it's almost as much as beef ribeye!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#22]
and they really arent wings, they are parts of wings (drum+flapper = wing)

8 complete wings (which is 16 = 8 drums and 8 flappers) at Popeyes is $4.99 but you get 10 "wings" (really 5 complete wings) for $9-10 most places
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
MMMmmmmm........ Hot Wings & Cold Beer!!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
MMMmmmmm........ Wings.........

Due to the ongoing problems with pics of scantily-clad women being posted on the site we have decided to make a change. They will still be allowed, however, effective immediately they will be limited to the Team forum only.
Our mods and staff have simply had to spend too much time dealing with this issue, so this is necessary. We may review this and make further changes, but your cooperation is appreciated.
Any pics which are posted in GD are expected to be "G-rated" and NOT show such things as cleavage or excessively short skirts/shorts. Bikini pics may ONLY be posted in Team, and under the rules posted in the team forum.

At the time the present rules were put into place we said they would remain until they became troublesome. The constant pushing of limits has created an undue burden for our volunteer mods, and this is simply too much to ask of them. Again, we appreciate your cooperation.

Yum! but IBTL
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I see no sense in buying nothing but skin and bone slathered in sauce. Bleh.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that there is a damn good idea!

An idea without a paycheck to back it up.  

Man, I sure hope I get a roger on my callback later this week.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Dammit to hell, can't you hardup motherfuckers post in one damn thread without shoving in photos of scantily clad women?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Dammit to hell, can't you hardup motherfuckers post in one damn thread without shoving in photos of scantily clad women?

huh-huh, huh-huh, he said shove....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
You buying boneless wings or something?

I always thought wings to be CHEAP. My only problem with them is the few places that I found that could make them hot enough that I've found discontinued the flavor due to lack of damand.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1  Way to hijack this.

IBTL for BOTD Violation.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

............as opposed to a $12 hamburger?  Why eat away from home at all?

clickee for the wings that started it all

Anchor Bar clickee

Yes, I have been there, and they are damn good!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Growing up, I remember when my family ate a lot of fish because it was cheaper than beef.  Fish was also viewed as a cast off type food until sometime in the 70's when it became the "in" thing.  Same thing with chicken which was cheap and as such very popular with po folk.

My, my,...look how far they have both come.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Growing up, I remember when my family ate a lot of fish because it was cheaper than beef.  Fish was also viewed as a cast off type food until sometime in the 70's when it became the "in" thing.  Same thing with chicken which was cheap and as such very popular with po folk.

My, my,...look how far they have both come.

I heard some thing on the radio a while ago about how in the 1700s they'd feed prisoners lobster because it was regarded as not something good to eat.  The prisoners even considered it cruel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Um......... hard up???  Actually, "we" prefer to look at the situation as....... an ARFCOM post without pictures of Guns or Women or food is pretty much a total waste of bandwidth!!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Still my favorite hot wing ever. I've been trying different take-out places around my house for one that comes close... nothing has touched Hooters. Maybe I'll go tomorrow for lunch. I've got a wicked craving now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#37]
IBTL for BOTD violation
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#38]
bdubs on tuesday, yum.

About the only time I have wings.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yeah, you bastards!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#40]
And another thing.  They call both parts of the wing a wing like there is four wings on a chicken.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#41]
And yet another thing, they really aren't hot wings unless they start to burn your eyes, just prior to them being within visible range.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
ALL chicken is way overpriced since it became the "in" thing to eat for health reasons!  Boneless skinless breast used to be a couple bucks a pound, now it's almost as much as beef ribeye!

I have been paying $1.69/lb for boneless skinless breasts around here.  From what I read we are near the bottom of the cheap chicken cycle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I pay $14 and change for 6.5 lb. bags of frozen Tyson breasts at Sam's.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#44]
They are too high, I dont buy them, I will not pay more then 25cent each
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You have to remember that your posting on a forum where people routinely spend 1 - 2 dollars per cartridge and shoot em off like they were free.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I see no sense in buying nothing but skin and bone slathered in sauce. Bleh.

It's far better than just buying the sauce.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You motherfucker..........I am SO hungry now.

WHY did you have to post this???

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you people!

I've been saying this fr 10 years and no one listens.  It's just bone, skin, and gristle.  I'm a fat guy and I love my food, but I burn more calories eating the wings than I get from them.  I'd probably starve to death if I had to try to live off of them.  To little benefit for the effort.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Now I'm hungry. Fuck you guys.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Shoot....I am NOW!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top