Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2006 4:52:41 PM EDT
An old roommate of mine emailed wanting the recipe so I made a batch and took some pictures for him. So I figured why not share here as well since some people might be missing out on this southern delicacy.

Start with some chicken. Any will do but I prefer dark meat leg quarters because they are cheap and you get the best stock because they are so fatty. I buy 20 lbs at around $.30 a pound ($6.00) and freeze most of them. My mom uses a whole chicken and cuts the gizzard, liver, and heart up to include in the mix. Some people use chicken breast only like they do at Cracker Barrel, I think you get less flavor that way though.

This is about 5 lbs of leg quarters, cover with water, a good bit of salt and boil for 30 mins to an hour (mine were still kinda frozen so I let them go an hour). You can't really over cook them.

Turn off the heat and remove your chicken, SAVE THE STOCK. Use two forks to pull the meat because it will be hot. Don't be too picky all those little greasy bits and pieces just add to the finished product. Discard the skin and the bones, save them for future chicken stock or feed them to the cat, whatever.

Set the meat to the side, it's time to make the Dumplins.

Get a container and skim the fat off the top and get some of the stock below the oily surface as well during the process. The fat and and a little bit of the stock will be used to make the dumplin dough.

This is what makes this recipe here. Use this fat/liquid to make your Dumplins.

Use about a 2 to 1 ratio (2 cups or All-purpose flour to 1 cup of stock/fat) and mix. You want it on the dry side for rolling out and cutting. I add some salt as well.

Flour the cutting surface then roll out to about an 1/8 of an inch thick.

Cut into I inch squares, be generous when dusting them with flour, this will help thicken the liquid later.

Bring your stock back to a boil, add the chicken, and drop your dumplins in, preferable one at a time so they don't stick to each other. Boil for about 5-10 minutes.

Check the consistency of the liquid. Some people like them gummy, some like it like soup. I decided to thicken mine up a bit.

I took a couple of Tablespoons of Corn Starch and added some cold water so you can pour it into the pot without it lumping up when it hits the heat.

Turn the heat off and let it cool for a few minutes, then serve. Add salt and pepper to taste. This would probably feed 10 people and after chicken and flour I estimate it cost a grand total of $1.85 to make.

Enjoy

Here's my Dinner Pic, complete with a .38 and elmer fudd folding knife in honor of the classic southern dish:

CHICKEN 'N' DUMPLINS (with a side of cranberry sauce)

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried making squirrel and dumplins once. The recipe I had just said to make little balls out of the dumplin dough. I made my dumplins a little smaller than golf ball size. Put them in the pot to simmer. When I figured everything was done I took the lid off and the damn dumplins had swelled up the size of baseballs. It tasted excellent though
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks great

7/10

-1 no stapler

-1 no measuring device

-1 miller lite
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looks great

7/10

-1 no stapler The dumplins perform double duty as glue

-1 no measuring device That can will measure 12 oz. or 355 mL all day long, take your pick

-1 miller lite uh...well ok

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Delicious!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
That is sooooo freaky!!!
We just made chicken and dumplins tonight for dinner and are currently eating them!!!
Small world!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks great

7/10

-1 no measuring device That can will measure 12 oz. or 355 mL all day long, take your pick

I was just giving you a hard time, chicken and dumplings is one of my favorite foods, and I am just jealous.

Not jealous of the miller though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
*copy

*paste

*tomorrow's dinner (minus the miller lite)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never made chicken and dumplings for my family, but looking at how easy this recipe is I am sure that I will in the near future.  

I will give the dinner pic an 8.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm gonna try that at work (firefighter)my next shift, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks great

7/10

Dumplins double as glue......Damn dude... hows the toilet going to function tommorrow?
I'm drinkin Miller Lite myself right now and enjoying the hell out of a SAT. night!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Try adding a little milk right before you eat them.  That's the way my grandmother does it.  Absolutely my favorite food in the world.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Try adding a little milk right before you eat them.  That's the way my grandmother does it.  Absolutely my favorite food in the world.

I'll have to try that with some leftovers later tonight or for breakfast in the morning
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to add some spices to the dough.

Add to taste MORTON's Nature Season's

And red pepper to taste once served.

Looks good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, i would eat it, but I would add some rendered down chicken fat to the dumpling dough

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yep, i would eat it, but I would add some rendered down chicken fat to the dumpling dough

Thats what I do in the recipe. You skim it off of the top of the stock and put it in the dough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#19]
tag for inspiration
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]
For those that just can't handle making pie dough (for the dumplings) you can buy Pillbury ready made pie dough.

Yep, Chicken & Dumplin's!  

Side dish recommendations:

Yellow squash.  Sautee an onion with a stick of butter.  When clear, fill the pot with sliced squash, salt and pepper lightly, and cook it down.

Mashed taters.

Fresh green bean, not canned or frozen, cooked with a little salt meat.

Field peas.

Sweet corn on the cob.

Homemade cornbread.  Cooked, of course, in a cast iron skillet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
For those that just can't handle making pie dough (for the dumplings) you can buy Pillbury ready made pie dough.

Yep, Chicken & Dumplin's!  

Side dish recommendations:

Yellow squash.  Sautee an onion with a stick of butter.  When clear, fill the pot with sliced squash, salt and pepper lightly, and cook it down.
Mashed taters.

Fresh green bean, not canned or frozen, cooked with a little salt meat.

Field peas.

Sweet corn on the cob.

Homemade cornbread.  Cooked, of course, in a cast iron skillet.

Damn, I'm hungry now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#23]
which reminds me....I'm making pea soup today in the crock pot

I guess I'll post pics
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#24]
tag for dinner
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never made them for my wife. I will have to do that some time.

My grandma made hers the same way. She would also make blackberry dumplings from blackberrys she had canned. Talk about an awesome dessert.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#26]

damn that looks good

Quoted:
I tried making squirrel and dumplins once. The recipe I had just said to make little balls out of the dumplin dough. I made my dumplins a little smaller than golf ball size. Put them in the pot to simmer. When I figured everything was done I took the lid off and the damn dumplins had swelled up the size of baseballs. It tasted excellent though

Those are german dumplings.   Excellent with beef or pork and a side of kraut with a dark beer.  also apple dumplings make a great dessert.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#27]
DAMN! Someone needs a hobby and a hug!

I give you a 9.2
I like the effort put forth. C&D are my favorite's.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My grandma made hers the same way. She would also make blackberry dumplings from blackberrys she had canned. Talk about an awesome dessert.

I had forgot about Blackberry dumplins, used to have them sometimes when I was a kid. Gonna have to try that sometime, never made them myself. Probably similar to this but could be done on the stovetop also.

Blackberry Dumplings

1  quart frozen blackberries
1  cup sugar
1/2  teaspoon lemon extract
3/4  teaspoon salt, divided
1 1/2  cups all-purpose flour
2  teaspoons baking powder
1  tablespoon sugar
1/4  teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3  cup milk
Whipped cream (optional)

Bring first 3 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; stir in milk just until blended (dough will be thick). Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto hot blackberry mixture.

Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until golden. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks great

7/10

Dumplins double as glue......Damn dude... hows the toilet going to function tommorrow?
I'm drinkin Miller Lite myself right now and enjoying the hell out of a SAT. night!!!

Don't worry there is enough grease in this dish that it will just slide right on through
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Man!! That looks good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
*copy

*paste

*tomorrow's dinner (minus the miller lite)

+1
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#34]
What I wouldn't give for some of my Grandma's chicken n' dumplins

I might just have to try this out and compare...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#35]
tag it for dinner this week.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had forgot about Blackberry dumplins, used to have them sometimes when I was a kid. Gonna have to try that sometime, never made them myself. Probably similar to this but could be done on the stovetop also.

Blackberry Dumplings

1  cup sugar
1  tablespoon sugar
2/3  cup milk
Whipped cream (optional)

Bring first 3 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; stir in milk just until blended (dough will be thick). Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto hot blackberry mixture.

Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until golden. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

God bless you, Lanceman.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

God bless you, Lanceman.  

Just trying to make the world a better place, one pot of Chicken Dumplins at a time
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#39]
One more thing to go with this dinner... fried chicken gizzards.

Boil the gizzards in water for  11/2 to 2 hours.  This will get them tender.  Dip in egg-milk mixture, roll in seasoned flour, drop them in cooking oil @ 375*F.  Fry until lightly browned.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blackberry Dumplings

1  cup sugar
1  tablespoon sugar
2/3  cup milk
Whipped cream (optional)

Thanks for the recipe, I think Grandma made hers on the stove, she used homemade canned blackberries too. She would go out and pick blackberries on a friend of the families farm, wild ones. And they were so good, the farm raised ones never seem to have as much taste or be as sweet.

Once I get some land I am going to set out a patch of wild blackberry brambles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Boil the gizzards in water for  11/2 to 2 hours.  This will get them tender.  Dip in egg-milk mixture, roll in seasoned flour, drop them in cooking oil @ 375*F.  Fry until lightly browned.

How do you fry the livers without making them too tough?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Livers really shouldn't be that tough, we usually deep fry or saute ours with onions
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Food + Gun = dinner pic!
Staplers, measureing tapes, tactical knives, all other bullshit NOT needed.

I give it a 9.4

I am a minimalist
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I am making this recipe as we speak.  I can't wait to try it, I am as hungry as a hostage right now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#45]

As good of a meal as it gets this side of Heaven.

(Yankees don't know nothin' about good food. )
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

As good of a meal as it gets this side of Heaven.

(Yankees don't know nothin' about good food. )

Hey now.  This Yankee right here is giving this a try.  I do know a little about great Southern food you know.  I was stationed at Ft Benning GA for 3 years.  Some days I would kill for a bag of boiled peanuts...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gizzards and livers ain't the same thing.

I usually add a pinch of baking powder to my dumplins and drop them into the pot by the spoonful. I also like carrots in my C&D.

Looks good!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished a meal of chicken and dumplings.  My family was very happy with my results.  The only thing I changed was to add some garlic powder for some more flavor.  Very good recipe, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#49]
one of my fav meals but my family calls them sliders and the big puffy balls dumplings. eat on my man eat on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't fry the gizzards.  My dog likes the livers raw... so I just toss them to him like that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top