2 tsp. chili powder

4 ribs celery, chopped fine

3 cups long grain rice

2 cups beef stock

2 tsp. kitchen bouqet

black pepper to taste

salt to taste

1/3 cup minced parsley

Get a big 8 qt. pot and cook the bacon on high until it's extra crispy. Leave it and all of the grease in the pot, then immediately add the sausage and brown it in the bacon grease.

Then add the chicken and cook until it's opaque and all the pieces are white. Then, add your onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic and reduce heat to medium high cook until the vegetables soften up. Keep stirring so nothing burns or sticks.

Then, add the rice and stir for 4 or 5 minutes to coat the rice with all the flavors. Then add your beef stock, Ro-Tel, chili powder, thyme and kitchen bouquet.

Stir that up until it's blended together real good and let it come to a boil. Taste it, and add your cayenne, black pepper and salt until it tastes just right, then add about 10-40% more of each because the rice is going to soak up a lot of flavor. Bring it down to a low simmer and let it simmer for an hour.

DO NOT PEEK. You are cooking rice, so it needs to stay covered for the whole hour.

Finally, open it up and add the minced parsley, then cover it and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. Then fluff it up and chow down.

I can't stress the importance of finely chopping the onions, bell pepper and celery (in particular) enough.

The prep time is a bit long for this, but it makes a LOT of food, an the leftovers do not disappoint. I had two bowls and filled 4 3cup tupperware containers.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks I'll have to make it

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Needs some ghost chiles, everything does until mine come in the mail.

Looks good and I like the lettering on the XD
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The OP's looks good but You gotta go with a Louisiana recipe on something named "jambalaya"

Tony's

or if you wanna do it all yourself

http://www.louisianacajun.com/printrecipe.asp?id=149

Name:       Real Cajun Jambalaya

Description: Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya

Ingredients: 1.) 4 - Medium Yellow Onions chopped finely 2.) 1 - Medium Green Bell Pepper chopped finely 3.) 3 – Sticks of Celery chopped finely 4.) 1 - Round of Garlic chopped finely 5.) 2 - tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s Seasoning (or any Cajun seasoning) 6.) 1 – Pound of Medium Shrimp Peeled 7.) 2 - Pound of Smoked Sausage sliced in ¼ Inch slices 8.) ¼ tablespoon of sugar 9.) ½ cup of vegetable oil 10.) 4 - cups of Long Grain Rice 11.) 6 – cups of water

Directions: Place vegetable oil and onions in a 6 or 7 quart Dutch oven or Black cast iron pot. Cook onions until they are dark brown stirring constantly to avoid burning. When the onions are a dark brown add the bell pepper, celery Tony’s seasoning and sugar. Stir often to avoid sticking and burning. When the bell pepper starts to get tender, add the sausage and 1 cup of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes. After 15 Minutes add the Shrimp, and cook on a medium fire for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp become pink in color. After the shrimp are Pink, add the remaining 3 cups of water, then salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the vegetable oil from the top of the water and remove from the pot. Then add the clean rice, turn up the fire to high and bring to a boil. After coming to a boil stir once to make sure the bottom hasn’t started to stick and then cover and simmer for twenty-five minutes. Note: After covering the pot and starting to simmer do not take the cover off until the 25 minutes are up. After 25 minutes stir and remove from fire.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Needs some ghost chiles, everything does until mine come in the mail.

Looks good and I like the lettering on the XD
Thanks!

The lettering is hobby acrylic paint from wal mart. I applied it with a fine point brush and used a wet paper towel to wipe away the excess. Unfortunately, the other rollmarks don't hold the paint well, so I cleaned them out with a needle.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The OP's looks good but You gotta go with a Louisiana recipe on something named "jambalaya"

Tony's

Ingredients: 1.) 4 - Medium Yellow Onions chopped finely 2.) 1 - Medium Green Bell Pepper chopped finely 3.) 3 – Sticks of Celery chopped finely 4.) 1 - Round of Garlic chopped finely 5.) 2 - tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s Seasoning (or any Cajun seasoning) 6.) 1 – Pound of Medium Shrimp Peeled 7.) 2 - Pound of Smoked Sausage sliced in ¼ Inch slices 8.) ¼ tablespoon of sugar 9.) ½ cup of vegetable oil 10.) 4 - cups of Long Grain Rice 11.) 6 – cups of water

Directions: Place vegetable oil and onions in a 6 or 7 quart Dutch oven or Black cast iron pot. Cook onions until they are dark brown stirring constantly to avoid burning. When the onions are a dark brown add the bell pepper, celery Tony’s seasoning and sugar. Stir often to avoid sticking and burning. When the bell pepper starts to get tender, add the sausage and 1 cup of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes. After 15 Minutes add the Shrimp, and cook on a medium fire for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp become pink in color. After the shrimp are Pink, add the remaining 3 cups of water, then salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the vegetable oil from the top of the water and remove from the pot. Then add the clean rice, turn up the fire to high and bring to a boil. After coming to a boil stir once to make sure the bottom hasn’t started to stick and then cover and simmer for twenty-five minutes. Note: After covering the pot and starting to simmer do not take the cover off until the 25 minutes are up. After 25 minutes stir and remove from fire.

I'm New Orleans born and raised. This recipe was adapted from a Frank Davis "Naturally N'Awlins" cookbook.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
It needs seafood.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Tony's

That's what I'm talkin bout.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It needs seafood.

Fresh shrimp are hard to come by out here.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm New Orleans born and raised. This recipe was adapted from a Frank Davis "Naturally N'Awlins" cookbook.

Oh snap, ol Frank sill does his "Naturally N'Awlins" on WWL all the time.  I'm surprised he made one without seafood in it.

Frank gets the RCA stamp of approval.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh snap, ol Frank sill does his "Naturally N'Awlins" on WWL all the time.  I'm surprised he made one without seafood in it.

Frank gets the RCA stamp of approval.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xEw_wnCvE_0/RcFZmhXZhaI/AAAAAAAAAdw/lL5J8r0O1Fg/s400/registered_coonass.jpg

Well, it DID have seafood. That's why it's adapted from his recipe.

I tried making it with the imported chinese frozen shrimp from the local grocery store, but they were gross.

So, I just added more chicken and sausage and omitted the shrimp. It came out pretty good.

It's still way better than the Zatarain's box jambalaya, and the Zatarain's ain't bad in a pinch.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good!

Thanks to a shellfish allergy I haven't been able to eat shrimp in the last few years, so that's exactly how I make mine.

Try Eckrich skinless smoked sausage, it's the best (grocery store) sausage I've found for such recipes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Looks good!

Thanks to a shellfish allergy I haven't been able to eat shrimp in the last few years, so that's exactly how I make mine.

Try Eckrich skinless smoked sausage, it's the best (grocery store) sausage I've found for such recipes.

Well, you have to learn to adapt. I'd prefer to use anduille, but it's another of those foods that are hard to find outside of Louisiana. Down there, it's in every grocery store. Up here, I'd have to drive 5 hours round trip for it.

I will keep an eye out for the Eckrich, though. Thanks!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top