Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 7:30:19 AM EDT
That's correct almost 700 murders in the year 2001. That is the highest murder rate per capita in the United States. Almost all the murders have been committed with firearms.[:X*]( I thought Handguns are illegal in Chicago, but since when to criminals follow the law)
Well I have to congratulate Mayor Daley for all those tuff speeches on crime and how his gun control policy will make the people of Chicago safer. It doesn't seem to be working but what the hey, what's 700 peoples lives compared to the Evil of Concealed Carry?[xx(] Well Dick, good job! Good luck in the next election, and remember somehow this is all the NRA's fault.
I guess gun control doesn't work as well in reality as it does on paper.

JerrY
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
There should be two sets of murder statistics kept:  "drug related" and "non-drug related".  If we keep them separate, we can start to see a possible benefit of legalization.  Not that I am advocating legalization, but I think the War on Drugs has severely impacted the right to keep and bear arms.  There is a measureable cost to society of tolerating murder and we law abiding gun owners are bearing some of that cost.

We need to begin to think in terms of murder as a tool of doing business in street drugs.  There will always be the murders that occur when love and/or money goes wrong.  And we'll always be plagued by the rare serial killer who rarely if ever uses firearms.  But staying out of the street drug business reduces one's chance of being murdered significantly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....... a possible benefit of legalization.  
View Quote

That I'm aware of, no country, including Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, has ever successfully stopped a "black market."

So far as stopping our black market in drugs we have not and we will not.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
no country, including Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, has ever successfully stopped a "black market."
View Quote

Many countries have almost completely put a stop to certain black markets.  Except for a few people who didn't want to pay "revenuers," the repeal of the 18th amendment ended a large black market in the US.  Ending black markets is easy.  You change the law.z
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
And, we're right on track to have just as many murders in 2002!  A man was killed during a drive-by shooting late on January 1!

It is absolutely ridiculous for Chicago to have more murders than New York...considering that New York's population is THREE TIMES that of Chicago!  Amazing.

Congrats to Mayor Daley!  Good job, bucko!

Of course, liberals will use the fact that Chicago is the murder capital in order to advance the farce that MORE gun control laws are needed.  Amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top