Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 6:55:26 PM EDT
Looks like that gun ban is working out great.

Chicago is U.S. murder capital

Thursday, January 1, 2004 Posted: 8:19 PM EST (0119 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Despite a sharp drop in homicides, Chicago has regained a title it didn't want: America's murder capital.

The city finished 2003 with 599 homicides, police said Thursday. That was down from 648 a year earlier and the first time since 1967 that the total dipped below 600.

Still, the nation's third-largest city outpaced all others for the second time in three years. New York, with about three times the population, ended the year with 596 homicides. Los Angeles, which had the most murders in 2002 at 658, wound up 2003 with an estimated total just under 500.

Chicago's new police superintendent, Philip J. Cline, joined colleagues elsewhere in blaming homicides largely on a volatile mix of gangs, guns and drugs.

But officials pointed to a new system established in June, partly inspired by New York's computerized crime analysis unit, that contributed to an 18 percent drop in Chicago murders in the second half of 2003 compared with a year earlier.

In New York, the unofficial murder tally of 596 compared with 584 in 2002. That was a 2 percent jump but still made 2003 the city's second straight year below 600 -- dramatically less than the 2,245 homicides recorded in 1990.

St. Louis logged its lowest murder total in more than four decades, a showing that police credited to aggressive efforts to track down violent offenders.

Police said there were 69 killings in the Gateway City in 2003, matching the total of 1962. The number was a 39 percent decrease from the 2002 total of 113.

St. Louis Police Chief Joe Mokwa said the addition of 100 more officers to the force and "the strategy of confronting the most violent offenders has left our neighborhoods more stable."

Baltimore homicides increased for the first time since 1998 as authorities said killings became more targeted, often in connection with the drug trade.

As of Wednesday, Baltimore reported 271 killings in 2003, compared with 253 in 2002. It was a 7 percent increase and the highest homicide total during the four-year tenure of Mayor Martin O'Malley, who campaigned on a pledge to reduce annual totals to 175.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin P. Clark said part of the increase was due to gunmen hitting their victims with more bullets.

"They are not looking to shoot a guy in the leg to send a message," Clark said. "They are out to kill these guys."

Preliminary figures from the District of Columbia showed the homicide rate dropping 6 percent in the nation's capital, from 262 in 2002 to 247 last year. But 2004 began with two homicides in about nine hours.

No final figures were available for Detroit, but an FBI report in mid-December put the city on a pace to end 2003 with its fewest homicides since 1968. The total would be about 365, the FBI said.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a lot of stabbings...  Since guns are banned there, right?  [;D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
[shock][shock][shock][shock][shock]

Chicago is Number 1 in murders again.
Whod of thunk it.  

Corruption speaks for itself.  The more corrupt, opressive and liberal the government, the higher the crime rate including murders.  

Way to go Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to go Illinois !!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have [noclue][noclue][noclue][noclue][noclue][noclue][noclue][noclue][noclue]
And they wont get one either.

[banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana][banana]

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The incongruity that is apparent to sensible people seems to be lost on Chicago authorities.

Or maybe public safety is not the issue; or their intent.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
After the debacle that was the Cubs this year, maybe Daley figured he needed #1 at something...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Second largest police force in the country too.  I'm sure mayor Daley and the police superintendant are proud.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Why am I NOT surprised?

It had to by Washington DC or Chicago.  They have led the nation in murders for the last few decades.

The problem is that liberals control both cities.  Liberals have decided that Joe Sixpack can't be trusted with a gun...so personal ownership much less concealed carry, is strictly verboten in the cities.  Since the BGs are well aware of this fact, guess where they go to ply their trade?

Dr. John Lott is right on the money in his book, "More Guns, Less Crime".  He uses Chicago as one of dozens of prime examples of how misguided anti-gun decisions help lead to rampant violent crime...often on minorities and women, the two most vulnerable groups, when disarmed.

My next door neighbor is an FBI SA.  Early last year, he was accosted by three young black males, in broad daylight, while walking from his car to FBI HQ in DC.  The BGs were in triangle formation in front of him with #1 in front, and #2 & #3 spaced pretty much evenly across the street on either side.  As my neighbor walked across the street, number 1 waved insolently at him.  Clearly the boyz figgered they had an easy mark in this geeky looking white boy in the nice suit with the briefcase.  When 1 got about twenty feet away...my neighbor pulled his suit coat back to reveal his FBI badge and he drew his 10mm Glock and held it down at his side.

[B]POOF --- GONE![/B]

Easy when you are an armed Feeb.  Not so easy if you are one of the rabble like us...and unable to legally carry in DC.

Not surprised Chi is a bad place.  A bit that is wasn't DC again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
This is this no surprise. Gary Indiana is right next door and they held this honor several times. Keeping guns from honest people is obviously not keeping down the homicide rate. Could it be a surplus of dipshits who can't think farther than five minutes ahead and whose only desire in this world is to feel good? Hopefully the declining homicide rate in other cities indicates that their number is decreasing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Liberals control all the major cities.

Looks like Chicago needs more gun control [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a lot of stabbings...  Since guns are banned there, right?  [;D]
View Quote
Maybe they need to ban knives, baseball bats, and nightsticks, too.

Or start door-to-door searching for illegal weapons.  Then they'd have a reason to increase the size of their police force.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Screw Chigago, in the late 80's Bridgeport, CT had the highest per capita murder rate and its just 15 mins away from me.  Not sure what its currently at.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, it's been ever so much safer to murder people now that they can't stop you, thank god for liberal politicians that make it so much safer to be a predator of society.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe that, per capita, New Orleans is the current actual murder capital of the US.  It's nowhere near as large as Chicago, but has a homicide rate of 53.3/100,000.  "Murder Capital" requires a population in excess of something like 500,000, I think.  New Orleans just misses the mark.  Chicago has a population of about 3 million, so 600 murders is a rate of about 50/100,000.

I have no idea who makes up these rules.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]
hmm...would have thought Baltimore would be #1
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#14]
As a former Chicagoan I have to say........[banana]......."WE'RE #1!!!"

Friggen Chicago!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#15]
If you look at all violent crime, not just murder, I think Baltimore is #1, or very close to it.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I have to do a Boat show there in 3 weeks. I guess I will have to pack a blackpowder pistol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#17]
According to the news today, Gary, Indiana leads the US in murders per capita.

Chicago needs to let the good people have their guns back and start working against the street gangs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Ban Gary and Chicago...  (for the children) - sorry, someone had to say it...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like Chicago, IL has the largest number of murders total, while Gary, IN has the largest number compared to its population (per capita). Both are not too far apart geographically either. And both have terribly strict gun-control laws in effect...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#20]
North Dakota had 11 homocides in 2003.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
This is intended for some serious debate:

Could the true cause of Chicago's high murder rate be due to the amount of "minorities" there? Specifially, blacks are 12.5% of the national population. According to the 2000 census, Chicago has 19.1% blacks.

And don't even bother to say that the majority of crimes do not involve black perpetrators.

Well?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Most of the murders in Chicago are commited in the black neighborhoods.  Gang/drug related.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Is the safest place in America still Burlington Vermont?

Oh wait arent gun laws there almost nonexistant?

I guess I must be mistaken!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Vermont 2000 census: 96.8% white.

Need I say more?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top