Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 8:14:35 AM EDT
Well, it finally happened.  A couple of shit-for-brains politicians managed to ban most firearms in Chicago.  They've chiseled away at it for years.  Chicago Police Superintendent Terry Hillard has put the last nail in the coffin with a directive.  Imagine.  Letting the Police Superintendent make up laws.  They even have their own version of the ATF, the so-called CAGE unit, and from what I've read they employ similar tactics: entrapment, threats, and heaven only knows what other illegal means.  Even the police are being warned about CAGE raids to confiscate their personal firearms.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before Daley changes the Mayor's Office title to Office of the Fuhrer.  Heil Daley!

Oh, and I forgot.  Chicago still has a higher murder rate than any other American city.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
What's odd is that I have found ZERO local press on this matter (except what the ISRA and Concealed Carry Inc. have said).
I'd bet Daley has put a gag order on the press to keep them from waking up the sheep.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Where is the NRA.  The don't even have an alert on there web site.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Do I need to suggest we all write letters to the city council, mayor and state legislators that we(I) will personally NEVER visit the formerly fine state of IL as a result of the passage of these laws? Tourism money is important to most lawmakers and the tactic might get their attention. Heres a copy of the press release.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Superintendent Hillard Announces
Public Notice
On Regulations Relating to Assualt Weapons

08 April 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the Superintendent of Police has promulgated regulations that expand the definition of assualt weapons that are prohibited withing the City of Chicago. The regulations were promulgated on March 18, 2002 and go into effect May 1, 2002. Copies of the regulations are available on this site and at:

The Office of the City Clerk, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 107, Chicago, Il 60602
The Gun Registration Program, Chicago Police Dept. Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan, Room 1027, Chicago, Il 60653

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, Terry G. Hillard, Superintendent of Police of the Chicago Police Department, hereby promulgate the following regulations pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago:

Section 1.(a) In addition to the weapons defined as assault weapons in Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the following weapons are defined as assault weapons because the design or operation of the weapons is inappropriate for lawful use:

i. any of the firearms, or types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms known as:

(1) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

(2) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(3) Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);

(4) Colt AR-15;

(5) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(6) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(7) Steyr AUG;

(8) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and

(9) any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do I need to suggest we all write letters to the city council, mayor and state legislators that we(I) will personally NEVER visit the formerly fine state of IL as a result of the passage of these laws? Tourism money is important to most lawmakers and the tactic might get their attention. Heres a copy of the press release.

View Quote

Isnt the AR15 Black Rifle Convention being held in this fine state? Last I heard it was.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
(10) any firearm having a caliber of .50 or greater;

ii. a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a bayonet mount;

(4) a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle; or

(5) a grenade launcher;

iii. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

(3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(5) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

iv. a semiautomatic shotgun that has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

(4) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(b) Except as otherwise may be required by Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, "assault weapon" does not include:

i. any firearm that;

(1) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

(2) has been made permanently inoperable; or

ii. any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or

iii. any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

Section 2. These regulations take effect May 01, 2002.

Promulgated This 18 day of March, 2002
Terry G. Hillard
Superintendent of Police
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#7]
A Daley was slated to be Gore's Chief of Staff. I assume that if Gore had won  the Presidency this "Chicago example" was the agenda for all of USA: no civilian guns and enforced by Secratary General of the UN/President of the World Clinton and the 100,000+ new agents of the BATF Gore would have hired from a list provided by Jesse Jackson...

We dodged a bullet when President Bush was elected...
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#8]
(3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Isnt the AR15 Black Rifle Convention being held in this fine state? Last I heard it was.
View Quote

Last I heard, Chicago was only the northeast corner of the state.  Kinda like NYC vs. NY state.  Without Hillary, of course (even though she is from Park Ridge, 15-20 miles fron Chi).
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a fucking outrage. Why arent people up in arms over this....I am shocked that this is not a major news story on every network. What exactly are the citizens of chicago supposed to do now? Turn their weapons in.....LMFAO....I think not.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's the [url=www.ci.chi.il.us/CommunityPolicing/AboutCPD/PressReleases/PressReleases02/PR020408.html]Link[/url] to the announcement of Supt. Hilliard's fiat law on the City of Chicago website.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure glad I got out of that Goddamned state.  It's just like Kali.  This shit is really getting old.  I think the hogs are hungry.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Copy of my email to Da Mayor...

Dear Mayor Daly,

I recently read with disgust the passage and implementation of another assault weapons ban, this time in your city. The purpose and intent of this message is simply to inform you and the city of Chicago that, as a result of this unconstitutional law, I will never personally visit your fine city again. Note I said again, as I travel often for business and pleasure.

The implementation of this law simply makes me feel unsafe in your city, as the police cannot be everywhere to protect everyone. Now only the criminals will have what you call "assault weapons", many of which are weapons in which the U.S. Military and many police departments around the nation utilize on a daily basis to ensure our freedoms. In fact, I guess it would only appropriate to state that I too, use a so called "assault weapon" on a daily basis, as I am one of those police officers protecting our great nation.

You hold a position in government which requires a great deal of trust, and in supporting such unconstitutional legislation, you breach that trust. You have incrementally brought a big black eye to the City of Chicago's face, and it will never go away. Shame on you, Mayor. And good day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Do I need to suggest we all write letters to the city council, mayor and state legislators that we(I) will personally NEVER visit the formerly fine state of IL as a result of the passage of these laws?
View Quote

Keep in mind that this latest measure was not a LAW passed by an elected legislature, but a DIRECTIVE written by a political appointee.  Gets scarier all the time, don't you think?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, it finally happened.  A couple of shit-for-brains politicians managed to ban most firearms in Chicago.  They've chiseled away at it for years.  Chicago Police Superintendent Terry Hillard has put the last nail in the coffin with a directive. [b] Imagine.  Letting the Police Superintendent make up laws.  They even have their own version of the ATF,[/b] the so-called CAGE unit, and from what I've read they employ similar tactics: entrapment, threats, and heaven only knows what other illegal means.  Even the police are being warned about CAGE raids to confiscate their personal firearms.
Go figure.
View Quote

Marvl,
As a side note, a simular thing has happened in Ft Worth, TX with the shit-for-brains City Firechief.
The City has allowed Manadory inspections and made up moranic blackpower and ammunition stockpiling laws.  
In other words, the City's views are not inline with the BATF and one has to be careful in Tyrant County where the Firechief can direct the city police to perform a search & seizure.

VERY SCARY!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Coming SOON to a city or state near you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#17]
"Velcome to de new gun-free society uf Chicago. Perrhaps ve should make de whole kountry zike us. Don't you tink zo? Iff not, ve haf a place for you typez."

---Kommander Daley and his SS Commandant
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Nobody said anything when the ChiComms banned toy squirt guns, nerfball rifles, rubberband guns and those little toy plunger guns:

[i]
8-24-040 Discharging toy firearms.

No person shall at any time discharge or set off anywhere within the city, or have in his possession for such purpose any toy firearm, air rifle, toy cannon, or any gun that
discharges projectiles either by air, spring, explosive, substance, or any other force."
[url=http://www.chicityclerk.com/legislation/codes/chapter8_24.html]Chicago Municipal Code[/url][/i]

So why is anyone surprised that the ChiComms would start banning "real" guns?

[b]EVERYONE'S guns have already been banned, they're just taking their time rounding them up.
Incremental gun confiscation is already underway.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

[b]EVERYONE'S guns have already been banned, they're just taking their time rounding them up.
Incremental gun confiscation is already underway.[/b]
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#20]
THIS IS AN UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND TERRORIST ACT BY THE CHICAGO POLICE SUPERINTENDENT.

[b]THERE ARE NO MORE EXCUSES.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Goad, we didn't dodge a bullet, obviously.  We staved off what is inevitable--the next democrat who become president will take up right where the last administration left off.  I don't see the Bush administration doing that much in favor of gun rights, anyways.  Bush is an ardent supporter of the AW ban, for example.  

The problem is this:  The DC politicos talk a good talk, but there are only one or two that really mean what they say, and they are too few to make a difference.

When Ashcroft says he supports RKBA, he really means that he supports licensing and strict regulation of gun owners by the state.  That's consistent with the way they talk about "free" trade--which really means, carefully regulated and controlled trade.  There's nothing free about it, just like there's nothing free about being an American.  It is free trade in name only, and we have the RKBA in name only.  I just flew on a plane last week--there's no freedom in the airports anymore.  They are completely Orwellian now.  

All I can say is, it's going to be a lovely war.  I can't see America as we know it lasting all that much longer.  Either the economy is going to go south, taxes will go through the roof, or the control freaks will push people just a little too far.  I can think of a dozen other serious problems that could lead to a general collapse and all are looming out there, just waiting for that one little catalyst.  You saw what a hit the US took on 9/11 and that was just a little, itty-bitty disaster.  Imagine the chaos that will ensue if someone pops a nuke in a major city.  It will make the LA riots look like a Mister Rogers fan club meeting.  

So for all you guys who always turn the other way and say "whew, I'm glad I got outta there!" Here's the reality:  The whole country is going to be exactly the same way.  It may not be gun bans, but it will be through safe storage laws, increasing fees for gun permits, ammunition bans, home gunsmithing bans, loss of hunting grounds, loss of shooting ranges (hey, every shooting range I go to in NC is being attacked due to noise or irrational concerns over the 98th percentile bullet leaving the range and hitting someone).  

When Bush got elected, someone on here said "Well, guys, you just got four extra years to get ready."  I think that was entirely accurate.  You'd better be getting ready.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
THIS IS AN UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND TERRORIST ACT BY THE CHICAGO POLICE SUPERINTENDENT.

View Quote

Is it ok to activate the Imbroglio Martyr's Brigade??  

Yes this sucks, yes this is bad.  Chicago is going "gun-free" finally.

They just tried in Des Plaines, and they lost big time!! Fuckin A, it was nice to see the battle of Des Plaines won.  

Now they got pissed and are doing it to themselfs.
For once, I am glad to see them do it.

this is going to be a hot, long summer.
The State of Illinois is BROKE, the City of Chicago is BROKE.

Pissing off the Police is not going to help much in that area either.  
Shootings are going on almost every day in Chicago.
Murders also.
Let them bann shit, it will work out in the end.

Besides, when the gurrellia ops startup, it will be easier to walk around the city. [BD]
c-rock
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Goad, we didn't dodge a bullet, obviously.  We staved off what is inevitable--the next democrat who become president will take up right where the last administration left off.  snipWhen Bush got elected, someone on here said "Well, guys, you just got four extra years to get ready."  I think that was entirely accurate.  You'd better be getting ready.
View Quote

While I could argue some points, your overall message may be true.

I am wary of what the democRATS would do.

So far President Bush has not stabbed us in the back. Emerson did affirm a Right to Keep and Bear Arms in some manner yet to be fully determined. AG Ashcroft has been defending the 2nd. Most of us that could own semiautomatic rifles before President Bush still can and most of us are not being forced to register or forfeit our arms.

I leave the pessimism to Imbroglio and others, and I will offer an optimistic view of the future and the RKBAs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Trickshot,

You are exactly right.  There's not a nickels difference between Democrats and Republicans.  Just a different way of saying BIG GOVERNMENT.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then do something about it chicken shit.

I expect to see you being hauled away from Daley's corpse in the next few days...

Otherwise stop with your psudo-revolutionary blathering...
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Then do something about it chicken shit.

I expect to see you being hauled away from Daley's corpse in the next few days...

Otherwise stop with your psudo-revolutionary blathering...
View Quote

Now that makes a lot of sense.  Perhaps you should read "Unintended Consequences" and rephrase your reply.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't blame Daley only, he can only  accomplish what the voters allow him to get away with. snip
Am-O-Tramp
View Quote

Yes I blame Daley and his machine.
Quoted:
Trickshot,
You are exactly right. There's not a nickels difference between Democrats and Republicans. Just a different way of saying BIG GOVERNMENT.
View Quote

There is a difference, even if that difference is small.

democRATS would have already take your guns. Republicans have not. This is reality.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

[shock]
View Quote

I suppose gloves would be able to circumvent the problems associated with not having a barrel shroud.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Can anyone provide a link to a story on this from one of the major news sources? I can't find one. Big surprise.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]
It is interesting to note that NYC went from a city with one of the highest gun violence rates to very low.  The gun regulations had NOTHING to do with it.  Those laws were on the books for years.

The change came to NYC only when a new Chief of Police came into office along with a new mayor who wouldn't put up with the criminal activity.  The new rule was every report of gunfire was responded to and investigated.  They got the bad guys off the street by doing damn fine police work.

This Chicago crap just indicates that the mayor and police superintendent are incompetent and would rather blame their problems on "guns" than take care of the real issue (law breakers).

Too bad NYC didn't realize their draconian gun laws were no longer needed once the police were in control of the situation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#31]
"the following weapons are defined as assault weapons because the design or operation of the weapons is inappropriate for lawful use..."

Oh yes, I guess somebody must explain to everybody that lives in Chicago that it is "inappropriate" to compete for the Presidents Cup or National Match - Service Rifle.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I did find this article though.
[URL]http://w4.ci.chi.il.us./mayor/2002Press/news_press_gunviolence.html[/URL]

Here are some things from the article. Although it is kind of old news, I think it is relevent.

[b]Jan. 30, 2002 - Chicago, Suburbs Join Forces to Fight Gun Violence
Mayors Vow to Enact Ordinances Banning Assault Guns, Licensing Gun Shops

Officials of 12 suburbs joined Mayor Richard M. Daley and pledged to enact local ordinances licensing gun shops and banning the sale and possession of assault weapons.

"These two reasonable proposals would protect our citizens without causing the slightest inconvenience to law-abiding hunters, sport shooters or people who feel a gun is necessary to protect their home," Daley said today at a news conference at Chicago Police Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan Ave.

"But let's be clear about this," he said. "A resident of Chicago or one of its suburbs is much more likely to be killed or injured by a local resident with a gun than by an international terrorist. Some 3,000 people were killed in the terrorist attacks of September 11. It does not diminish that tragedy one bit to point out that more than 3,000 victims are killed by firearms every six weeks in the United States."[/b]

Smalls
LCpl of Marines

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never liked Chicago.

I've never liked ANYTHING having ANYTHING to do with Chicago -
* That SOS they call "pizza",
* Harry "The-Slobbering-MushMouth" Carey,
* Michael "Palming-Shuffling-Hooking-PushingOff" Jordan,
* Wrigley (POS) field,
* The Loop,
* The weather,
* WGN (boring!)
* The Chicago 7,
* Al "Big Yawn" Capone,
* Adlai Stevenson,
* The city where the dead still vote,
* Mayor Richard "I-stole-it-for-JFK" Daley I,
* William "We-can-steal-this-one-too-Al" Daley,
* Mayor Richard "I-will-steal-your-guns" Daley Jr.

Chicago is a miserable, filthy, corrupt and yet still boring city, filled with miserable, filthy, corrupt and yet still boring people who do nothing but cause trouble for the rest of the country and should have been left to burned to the ground completely and never rebuilt.

The exception that makes the rule is the Da' Bearsz.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

* Wrigley (POS) field,
* The Loop,
* The weather,
* WGN (boring!)
* The Chicago 7,
* Al "Big Yawn" Capone,
* Adlai Stevenson,
Chicago is a miserable, filthy, corrupt and yet still boring city, filled with miserable, filthy, corrupt and yet still boring people who do nothing but cause trouble for the rest of the country and should have been left to burned to the ground completely and never rebuilt.
View Quote

I agree with everything but the bearsz suck also.

John Belushi was the only thing that Chicago ever produced that was not corrupt and worthless. Except that he died of a drug overdose. A waste. His brother Jim is okay and has done fairly well in John's shadow.

We are shameless here at AR15.com when in comes to hating and vilifying those who threaten our rights.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
[img]www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0101/26/26s09wedding2.jpg[/img]
View Quote

What is this picture?

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Some of us in IL ARE fighting back!

[url]http://www.concealcarry.org/operation_ohio.htm[/url]

Get the word out.  We are on the war path so to speak.  We need more members!  If you own a firearm in IL we need you!  We know that if Bago-bitch gets elected it will get really worse.

Steve Rainbolt
Concealed Carry, Inc.

[url]http://www.concealcarry.org/members/index.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.concealcarry.org/shootfest2002.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Let us not forget that the BRC is being held in IL. I am going to stop there after the BRC. I lived there for almost 20 yrs. I think Chicago is a great place. I can't believe this is really going on. My friends have told me they refuse to hand their guns over or sell them to anybody. There is going to be a big fight over this and I think someone is contesting it.

All of us better realize this could happen any place now. If there is no one willing to fight any city or Small town will make their own laws. What I can't understand why hasn't Gun Mfg. and dealers said or done anything. Again I ask where is the NRA am I now a life member to see all rights taken away. Why would people still belong to the NRA living in Chicago they can't own guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#39]
You mean blafagobitch? He's just another socialist traitor and conspirator in the incremental decimation of the Constitution of the USA. Daley and Ryan are no better... all of the above are traitors, and desecrators of the American Constitution. All should be formally charged with subversion and sedition. All are enemies of the Constitution, Freedom and the American way. Unless someone calls a spade a spade, and labels these traitors as the corrupt agents of "new world Order" they are, we are in jeopardy. Like any cancerous tumor, left unchecked, it will spread to the entire body and destroy life as we know it. This makes me madder than hell! [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

* Wrigley (POS) field,
View Quote

Those are fighting words! [BD]

Carey was a good man, loved by all around here.
MJ will always be a Bull!

Wrigley is the best place to see a baseball game.  The Best!
c-rock
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

* Wrigley (POS) field,
* The Loop,
* The weather,
* WGN (boring!)
* The Chicago 7,
* Al "Big Yawn" Capone,
* Adlai Stevenson,

View Quote

Having lived near Chicago, and occasionally working downtown I couldn't agree more.  I hate Chicago and that whole damned state.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh my god, Imbroglio sounds serious.[;)]

There is an excuse though. they did it for the children. children should be raised as serfs obviously. Guns=independance
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top