Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2002 5:07:51 AM EDT
Some of the lastest news from Murder Capital USA. Our First Chicago Cop has been killed this year. Chalk one up to making the title again this year. a Chicago cop was killed on the mean streets of the City. This wasn't a POS banger, or such. It was a 77 yr old man! A 77 yr old man going to get kicked out onto the streets at 10 pm. Getting kicked out into 20 degree weather. The policeman was just "doing his job", and breaking down the door of this mans home at 10 pm at night. That is when his faced a wall of .22 lead. The policeman was not wearing a vest. Now, after this happened, the police swarmed onto the scene, and a "war" broke out. The man died in his home. I say the man was not going to leave. He owned the property, was a proud man, and did not plan on going. c-rock
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:09:53 AM EDT
Hail of bullets kills cop serving warrant E-mail this story Printer-friendly format Search archives By Eric Ferkenhoff and Rick Hepp Tribune staff reporters Published March 20, 2002 After trying for 10 minutes to cajole the owner of a dilapidated Northwest Side apartment building to open his door and face arrest, Chicago Police Officer Donald Marquez finally swung a sledgehammer and knocked the door down. Henry A. Wolk, a 77-year-old wanted in Housing Court, was waiting on the other side, a handgun in each hand. He opened fire, killing the 47-year-old officer, a veteran of the force for 20 years and a father of four. Afterward, Wolk was shot to death in a furious blaze of gunfire with police that lasted 10 minutes and, to area residents, sounded "like a war." Marquez's death early Tuesday sent shock waves through a police department that has now seen six of its officers killed in the line of duty since 1998. Visibly shaken, Chicago Police Supt. Terry Hillard told reporters Tuesday that Marquez was an "honest, hardworking cop, whose efforts made this city a safe place. "Yes, we are hanging our heads once again," Hillard said, his voice quavering. "But we're walking tall." The incident began in an unlikely way: serving a warrant for Housing Court violations. The warrant authorized Marquez and his partner to take Wolk into custody so he could appear in court Tuesday for 29 building code violations associated with his two-story, brown-brick building at 2451 N. Avers Ave. Prior citations Those citations were issued last May, and since then, Wolk had failed to show up in Housing Court six times to address the violations, city officials said. In January, a Housing Court judge signed an order authorizing police to take Wolk into custody, said Phil Cline, the department's chief of detectives. Before Monday, Marquez and his partner made several attempts to serve the warrant on Wolk. Each time, Wolk refused to open the door. The two officers, wearing civilian clothes, appeared again at Wolk's doorstep at about 10 p.m. Monday. An upstairs neighbor agreed to help the officers persuade Wolk to open his door. The officers and the neighbor spoke to Wolk through the door for 10 minutes, but the conversation was "one-way," Cline said. Wolk would not respond. Marquez then used a sledgehammer to try to break down the door. Brandishing a .22 caliber revolver in one hand and a .22 semiautomatic handgun in the other, Wolk fired through the doorway the moment the door crashed down, Cline said. The bullets struck Marquez in the head, chest and abdomen. He was pronounced dead at 12:25 a.m. Tuesday. Marquez was not wearing a bulletproof vest. The department requires officers on patrol or working the street to wear their vests at all times, said First Deputy Supt. John Thomas. Marquez's partner and Wolk's neighbor ran up the stairs for cover after the initial gunshots. Several backup officers arrived shortly afterward and were able to carry Marquez to a waiting ambulance, even as Wolk fired at them. "The officers ... were heroic last night in retrieving Officer Marquez," Cline said. Officers and Wolk exchanged gunfire for 10 minutes before Wolk, who was holed up in his kitchen, was shot to death by police. Police found a third gun, a .32 caliber revolver, in Wolk's apartment, Cline said.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:10:47 AM EDT
Marquez had spent the last few months assigned to the city's corporation counsel office, police said, a job that often required serving warrants for the city's Law Department. Law Department spokeswoman Jennifer Hoyle said it is not unusual for any of the 25 investigators detailed from the Police Department to serve warrants and other documents late into the night, especially when those officers have to take someone into custody for a next-day court appearance. "They basically get a list of things that have to be served and they run through the list," Hoyle said. "The time wasn't unusual. The case was up today [Tuesday] so it would have been typical to go out the day before to pick up the person." Neighbors and others who knew Wolk described him as quick-tempered and unstable. Marvin Cruz, who had been talking to Wolk about buying the house and allowing him to live there rent free, said Wolk worried that burglars were impersonating police officers and plotting to rob him. "One of his fears was home invasion," Cruz said. However, police discounted any notion that Wolk mistakenly believed intruders were trying to break into his house. "He knew these officers from past summonses that were issued," Cline said. "There was no doubt that he knew they were Chicago police officers, but he had made a comment to the neighbor [with Marquez and his partner] that he was not going to go to court, no matter what." Suspicious of everyone Wolk was suspicious of virtually everyone, neighbors said. When Cruz and Wolk first began talking about the sale of Wolk's home two months ago, Wolk would only speak to Cruz through a mail slot. Later, Wolk complained to Cruz that the government was trying to take his building away from him. "`Why can't they leave me alone?'" Cruz recalled Wolk saying. "`I'm old. I'm not hurting anybody. Just leave me alone.'" When Cruz offered to drive Wolk to court, Wolk refused. Wolk told Cruz he did not want to leave his house because he had no family, he had lived there since he was 2 years old, and had seen his mother and father die there. "He says, `I plan to die here too,'" Cruz said. Inside Wolk's apartment, piles of newspapers, magazines, and grocery bags. Stacks of boxes filled most of the rooms, Cruz said. "It smelled really bad--like old pizza," he said. Mayor Richard Daley called Marquez a "well-recognized police officer, formerly a [tactical unit] officer. He has a great career in the Chicago Police Department ... I extend my condolences to the officer's family." New grandfather Marquez and his wife, Maria, had four children. The oldest, also named Maria, had the couple's first grandson last week, said Marquez's cousin, Erika Marquez Sauseda. Officers who worked with Marquez called him aggressive, personable and dedicated. He grew up in the city's Back of the Yards neighborhood, the third of six children. "He was really kind with everybody," said Sgt. Alfonso Bautista, who worked with Marquez for more than a year at the department's Marquette District. Later, they worked together for a year on the district's tactical unit, dubbed the "Wild Bunch" by street criminals. The term was a sign of respect, said Sgt. Thomas Eichler, Marquez's tactical unit supervisor.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:11:33 AM EDT
"He loved working on the `tac' team, the excitement doing the search warrants, the raids, the drugs, the gangs," Eichler said. "He still talked about his old time with the tactical team. That was his proudest thing, being a member of the old Wild Bunch." Marquez transferred to the Harrison Area detective division to work the midnight-shift desk, but he later sought to return to street work and was sent to the corporation counsel detail. "He said that he was much happier doing that. It made him feel like the police," Bautista said. After graduating from Kelly High School, Marquez worked as a sheet-metal worker, said his brother, Dan. But after seeing a couple of his close friends die because of gang violence, Donald Marquez began thinking about becoming a cop. "He loved his job. He had the instincts to be out on the street," Dan Marquez said. "He died doing what he wanted to be doing." Tribune staff reporters Alex Rodriguez, Crystal Yednak, Veronica Gonzalez, Ray Gibson, and Liam Ford contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:20:43 AM EDT
[url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0203200291mar20.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed[/url] What a waste.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:28:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2002 5:42:04 AM EDT by LARRYG]
This was NOT a case of him being thrown into 20 degree weather on the street as you state. They were taking him into custody to appear before a judge. This was not something worth killing or dying over. We don't know what the building code violations were, but it certainly wasn't worth all this. He is to blame, not the cop. He had plenty of chance to surrender and he fired first over something like this. Sounds like a nutcase. He also did our cause no good. It just feeds the antis. They can say "look at these gun nuts. They will open fire about anything" and the sheeple will listen to them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:30:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:36:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:43:25 AM EDT
Sounds like the old guy had some serious mental health problems. To say he knew he was dealing with the cops may or may not be true. One minute he might have known but the next he might not have and thought an intruder was trying to get into the house. He sounds seriously paranoid. The cop shoulda had his vest on, but it might not have done any good if he took shots to the head. This could have been avoided, very easily.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:47:14 AM EDT
Fucking A. This old man is my new hero. If a man owns his own property then leave him the hell alone. The guy probably knew that the if he went to court he'd have to pay for the violations and he did'nt have the money. I wouldn't let the gov. take away my house if I didn't have enough money to correct their "violations". I'd of done the same exact thing. Good for him.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:48:24 AM EDT
Doesn't anyone think it's WRONG for cops to break down a man's door in the middle of the night over "building code violations"? Carl Drega's body is moldering in its grave, but his spirit goes shining on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:50:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 71-Hour_Achmed: Doesn't anyone think it's WRONG for cops to break down a man's door in the middle of the night over "building code violations"? Carl Drega's body is moldering in its grave, but his spirit goes shining on.
View Quote
I agree. The police could have nabbed him when he got groceries or had groceries delivered. This didn't have to happen this way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:07:03 AM EDT
Henry A. Wolk didn't like strangers. He was 77 years old, lived in the same Northwest Side home since he was 2 and often spoke to visitors through a vestibule mail slot close to the floor. This was the reclusive world that officer Donald J. Marquez walked into Monday night to arrest Wolk for failing to answer a housing court subpoena. About 10 p.m., Marquez knocked on the door, then pleaded with Wolk to go peacefully. Finally, he broke down Wolk's apartment door with a sledgehammer. He was immediately greeted with gunfire, wounded and fell in the front vestibule. By the time it was over, both Wolk and the officer were dead. "Officer Marquez was an honest, hard-working cop whose efforts made this city a safe place," Chicago police Supt. Terry Hillard said Tuesday, tears welling in his eyes. "He was another officer doing his job and tragically taken away from us." Marquez and his partner were trying to arrest Wolk because he ignored a subpoena they served him Jan. 5 to appear in court for a housing case. The plainclothes officers and an upstairs tenant spoke to Wolk through his apartment door for several minutes, urging him to give up. "He made a comment to the neighbor that he was not going to go to court, no matter what," said Phil Cline, chief of detectives for the Chicago police. Marquez, who identified himself as an officer, smashed Wolk's door and Wolk fired a handgun at Marquez, Cline said. Marquez, 47, and a father of four, was shot three times in the chest and once in the head. As the 20-year police veteran collapsed into a pool of blood near a pile of magazines outside Wolk's first-floor apartment in the 2400 block of North Avers, Marquez's partner and the tenant scrambled upstairs. A gun battle raged for at least 10 minutes. No other officers were killed, but Wolk was found dead inside. Cline said officers from the Grand Central District and the Special Operations Unit worked heroically under fire to remove Marquez from the house and put him into an ambulance that took him to Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:08:20 AM EDT
Wolk fired a total of 10 shots and officers fired 24 at him, hitting him several times, authorities said. Police recovered two .22-caliber pistols they said Wolk had used; another .32-caliber handgun was found in his apartment, Cline said. A neighbor, Jaime Rodriguez, 40, said he was returning from dinner and shopping with his family when he heard at least three shots from Wolk's home. Rodriguez, who said he was looking for a parking spot for his van, pulled around the block and crouched while he listened to the gun battle. "There were six rapid shots, then I heard on the police radio, 'He is down, he is down; we have him now!" Rodriguez said. Marquez, who was detailed to the Chicago corporation counsel's office several months ago, was responsible for serving subpoenas for people to appear in court. Marquez was not wearing a bulletproof vest when he was shot, officials said. The department policy is for officers on patrol or street duty to wear them, said John Thomas, first deputy superintendent. The department will review its policy on vests in light of Marquez's shooting, he said. Marquez's job involved administrative work as well as the kind of enforcement duties he and his partner were carrying out Monday, Thomas said. Earlier, they had arrested two other people for failing to respond to subpoenas, said Corporation Counsel Mara Georges. "Don was the kind of police officer who dealt with his heart as well as his head," said his brother, Dan Marquez. "He was known as a compassionate officer even when making these kinds of arrests. He would bend over backwards to make sure there was no confrontation. But he did what the warrant said. He knew the situation could turn deadly. He was always prepared." Wolk's case dates to July when the city found 29 violations of the housing code at his two-story brick home in the 2400 block of North Avers, records show. After neighbors complained to the city, inspectors found a rotting porch, missing stairs, missing gutters, torn siding, a collapsed porch and other dangers. Wolk was fined $14,500 on Oct. 16. He failed to show up for six court hearings. On Jan. 15, a judge issued a "body attachment" calling for police to take him into custody and use force if necessary. Ald. Vilma Colom (35th) said her office tried for more than a year to deal with Wolk. She said she tried to tell him about city programs that could have provided money for repairs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:09:09 AM EDT
"He wasn't very cooperative," she said. "He said we had no business telling him what he could or could not do. He wouldn't come out of the house." Colom said she checked up on Wolk once, bringing him a fan. "He grabbed it, said 'thank you' and slammed the door," she said. "It's sad." Marvin Cruz, who owns other buildings in the neighborhood, said he offered Wolk $100,000 for the house and would let him live rent-free for the rest of his life. At first, Wolk would only talk to Cruz through a mail slot in the door about a foot off the ground. Cruz lay on the porch while Wolk crouched behind the storm door. Eventually, he was allowed inside. "It was a mess, with piles of paper. It smelled like old pizza," Cruz said. Wolk was guarded, but Cruz eventually learned that he moved into the home when he was 2. After his parents died, they left Wolk the home. He did not appear to have physical disabilities, Cruz said. "I think it was more in the head," he said. "But this made me so sad. I was eating breakfast when I saw it on the news. My spoon just fell, and I started crying. Cruz thought he and Wolk were close to a deal. He intends to continue with his plans to buy and rehab the property. And when he sells the house, he plans to donate up to $50,000 to Marquez's widow, Maria, and the couple's four children. "I don't want to make any money on this," Cruz said. "I just want a little good to come from this awful tragedy."
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:20:12 AM EDT
jeez pgm, i can't believe you would stand for this kind of lunacy. the old guy was definetly mentally ill, but he knew the cop was a cop and killed him for no good reason. glad to hear the old wacko was euthanized instead of locked up. hope for your sake that you are not holed up somewhere waiting on "the big one" typing on your computer. [kill]
Top Top